5K/10K race etiquette

Options
Hi- I'm running my first 5K ever in about 2 weeks and was wondering about "Race etiquette"...... I'm slow- a 45 minute 5k'r- so do I stay in the right hand lane (LOL) and pass on the left or what are some of the unspoken "Rules"

Replies

• CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Start towards the middle or back of the pack to start. You'll be out of the way of the fast crew at the front and after the start you'll be spread out enough to pass/be passed without problem.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Seed yourself accordingly is the biggest one. If you don't have a shot at winning the race, your probably shouldn't be up front for the start. :happy:

I always start farther back than I have to. Keeps me from going out too hard.

If the race is a big one where roads are shut down, you may not need to stay to the right as there is a lot of room. If it is a smaller race, I just try to make sure there is room for people to pass me.

If you wear headphones, make sure you can hear people around you.

Thats all I can think of but check out this topic

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race?hl=run+first+race
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Dont spit!! Ew one time someone accidently spit on me
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Oh and good luck and have fun!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Start towards the middle or back of the pack to start. You'll be out of the way of the fast crew at the front and after the start you'll be spread out enough to pass/be passed without problem.

^^This! My biggest pet peeve with my last half marathon was the people walking... from the start line... so that the runners were nearly tripping over them.

Also, if you do run/walk intervals (which I do) be sure to move to the side and make sure there is no one behind you when you go from running to walking.
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that it varies race to race, I just start further back, and pay attention to the runners ahead of you. If the slower people are sticking to the right, go that way. Make sure you can hear what's going on around you. Have FUN! Thank your volunteers as you pass them :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I have noticed that it varies race to race, I just start further back, and pay attention to the runners ahead of you. If the slower people are sticking to the right, go that way. Make sure you can hear what's going on around you. Have FUN! Thank your volunteers as you pass them :)

Yes! I usually say that in every post like this.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Thank your volunteers as you pass them :)
    Yes! Yes! Yes!

Ask around when you get to the corral. Generally you will be able to slip in next to some people who are are your target pace.

If you have not practiced grabbing and drinking then slow down and walk through the water station so you aren't showering water over the volunteers.

IF you have to spit...move to the right and only do it over grass! Don't spit on the road or on the track...and especially not on someone.

Do not get offended if people bump into you...just part of the race.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for even wondering.

If you know your pace then if the race is BIG find the appropriate starting corral and start with people that are your pace.

If you are running a smaller race with no corrals then start nearer the back....if you are going to stop to walk carefully move to the side of the road before you stop...think of it like changing lanes or pulling over on the expressway...you look in your mirror (over your shoulder when running) you make sure you don't cut people off, and if you are going to stop on the expressway you get off the road first...you will be golden
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

If you are stopping to walk, put your hand up before slowing down.
    Try to avoid just suddenly stopping. People do this especially through the water stations. Keep moving.

Thank the volunteers. :-)

Don't spit or do a snot rocket.

Just be aware of your surroundings and the people around you.

Enjoy!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Leave your ipod at home, running is a social sport (or at least it used to be).

Line up towards the back of the pack for the start.

Please look behind you if you are going to stop/walk suddenly.