help/advice needed

Options
Trying to get back to full fitness after an operation in November. I am not fully fit yet, meaning that I can't really lift very heavy weight just yet.
My goals are to get rid of my wobbly stomack, and my love handles. I am quite happy with the rest. I am a 51 yr old male, 5.9" 175cm, my last weight in I was 78.5KG, so by no mean overweight as such, but as said above I would love to lose my wobbly stomach and love handle.
I came across an article a couple of days ago, and made me realise that maybe I am not training like I should to get rid of the fat. I mainly train doing cardio (HIIT), on a spin bike and treadmill. I do some weight lifting too, but nothing too heavy as I am still a bit nervous about hernia. In the article they were saying that I should do cardio at between 60% to 75% to burn fat, anything higher would make me fit but would not burn fat, obviously during the HIIT sessions my HR goes near the 100%. Any input if I need to change my training would be great, shall I invest in a HRM? I have got a Garmin 305 but its doesn't display calories burnt during indoor training.
Like I have said any input/ideas/tried routine would be great
Thanks
JC

Replies

• jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Nobody??
  • klancyjv
    klancyjv Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I can't really speak to whether you should change your training or not, but I just recently bought a Polar F4 heart rate monitor. I love it! It's great to see the calories you're burning as well as your average and highest heart rate while working out. I have had a faster HR than normal since being a teenager due to anemia, so my HR is usually above the "target heart rate" scales. In my opinion, as long as you are moving, getting your heart rate up, and getting a good burn, results will follow. Hope this helps!
  • jc1961AA
    Options
    Thanks Klancyjv, I am still debating if I should buy a HRM, I don't really want to spend the money if it is not going to bring anything to my training. Waiting to see if someone could confirm that I need to change my way of training.
    JC
  • klancyjv
    Options
    You're welcome :) Hope someone is able to give you some good answers!
  • jc1961AA
    Options

Yes I saw that too, so wondering if I should keep going with my routine. Using HIIT surely should burn some fat, maybe I am being too impatient, thus I realise that being 51 my metabolism must have slowed down a fair bit.
    Thanks for pointing that to me anyway
    JC
  • klancyjv
    Options
    :) Looking forward to hearing about all the fat you've burned in the coming weeks/months! And I just gotta say that it's awesome you're doing HIIT...been wanting to try, but I am scared! Hehe