Help! How to combine strength-training and HIIT?

Options
Hi All!

I am really confused about how to combine my strength-training and HIIT... and have been getting lots of different opinions.

I work out M,W & F. First, I do 20 minutes of strength-training with dumbells. It is all-body; lots of legs, abs and shoulder.
Right after the weightlifting, I do 15 minutes HIIT on my stationary bike.

I have been doing this for 6 weeks, and eating at a deficit (1500 cals) I have maintained my weight, and haven't lost any inches. I do not want to lose weight, just gain muscle and lose fat. So obviously I am doing something wrong...

I have decided to up my daily cals to 1700, because I've heard that you can't really gain muscle when eating so little (my TDEE is 2050). Is that right?

I have also been told that it is not good to do HIIT after strength-training, because it undoes what you just accomplished, and eats into your muscle. This might explain why I haven't lost any inches.

I don't want to work out everyday, I would rather do it all together and only work out 3 or 4 times a week.
What should I do? HIIT first and THEN the strength-training? Ditch the HIIT altogether and just do regular cardio on my bike instead? Or do strength-training 2x a week, and HIIT 2x a week to separate the two?

Any tips are much appreciated!

Replies

• anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't help/advise you, commenting so it will appear in My Topics because I'm very interested in the replies you'll get.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to go heavier with the weights on lifting days??
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Cardio immediately after weights can't counteract your training and HIIT is closest in effect to lifting so it should compliment your regime if anything. If you're eating at a deficit (which you are from the sounds of things) then you won't gain muscle. Increase your calories to at least match your daily expenditure and increase your protein unless its already quite high. This assumes your lifting program involves heavy (for you) weights lifted in the 6-12 rep range and progressively trying to improve the amount of weight lifted or number of reps done.