thought on coconut oil...

Options

Replies

• koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i mix some in with my oatmeal in the morning! so good. also good when spread on toast. sounds weird but its great
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I bought some organic unrefined coconut oil and keep forgetting to use it (for anything). I did use it recently to make a kale kiwi salad (sauteed everything in the coconut oil) and it was really tasty. If someone is bored, please post some of your best recipes using coconut oil...it would be so appreciated!
  • AlleganyMiss
    Options
    I use Cocout oil for a TON of differrent things! I have read a bunch of research on it also where weightloss is concerned. It alone will not be the magic cure but its the whole replacing the UNhealthy fats with a helathy one. For me too...My mind feel so much clearer and since I just had a full hysterectomy last August it helps a ton with the hot flashes and stuff too. I use it for :
    In Smoothies (blend in a very very slow steady stream while blender is going)
    Body scrub (sugar, coc oil and lemon/grapfruit juice...just mix to a paste and store in the shower)
    Homemade shampoo & body wash
    In a bath (your skin will feel amazing)
    In my hair as both a treatment for dry hair and as a frizz aide/styling treatment I have naturally curly very frizzy hair
    On my most recent tatoo (looks awsome)
    My husband used it on a bleach burn
    In my dogs ears for yeast infection
    For human female issues
    I drink it in my tea
    And of course for cooking and baking.
    Unrefined has a coconut flavor/scent and refined does not for those that don't like the smell flavor but obviously I do..lol. One of the most intriguing things I have read lately is on coconut oil and Alzhimers. My grandmother has it and I am terrified of it now so anything I can do to help I will try !
    Here is just some research on it.
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/natural-frugal-raising-6-kids/coconut-oil-guide-home-remediesuses/488286444532167
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    Even though olive oil may have a higher smoke point, when olive oil is heated it turns into a toxic substance, as is the case with all oils except for REfined Coconut Oil.

And which woo-merchant sold you this bill of goods?

A doctor

Homeopathic quack =/= a doctor.

And even if it was a real MD, they have very little nutritional training.

And what is your training? Please back up your BS.

screenshot20130403at925.png

So much for coconut oil being so vastly different from other oils.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02680186
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    its amazing and it tastes great, It is rich in EFA's at 14g of fat/tablespoon so becareful when using it if your using IIFYM.. I use it in the mornings and to fill in gaps thru the day, ive even put in my protein shakes sometimes
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I make my own granola with organic extra virgin coconut oil.

2 cups rolled oats
    1 cup sliced almonds
    2 tbsp light brown sugar
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    ½ tsp kosher salt
    2 tbsp organic EVCO
    2 tbsp organic blueberry honey
    1 tbsp pure vanilla extract

Mix dry ingredients together in a big bowl.
    Mix wet ingredients together in a small bowl (you'll need to heat the EVCO and honey just a little so that it's easier to stir).
    Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients.
    Mix everything up well with hands.
    Spread granola out on baking pan that's lined with either parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
    Bake for 20 mins at 350 deg F (preheating not required) or until granola begins to brown. Note: stir and re-spread granola after the first 10 minutes before returning pan into the oven.
    Remove immediately from oven and let it cool completely on the counter (the granola will crisp up).
    When granola has cooled, add whatever you want to it, e.g. dried fruit, semi-sweet chocolate chips, other kinds of chopped nuts, etc.
    Eat as a snack on its own, or as a topping for yogurt/ice cream, with banana and milk for breakfast, on toast with natural PB, etc.

20js1af.jpg
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Even though olive oil may have a higher smoke point, when olive oil is heated it turns into a toxic substance, as is the case with all oils except for REfined Coconut Oil.

A doctor

That was published in the Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society in the 1970's. This society also pushed trans fats into the american diet as being a perfect solution. I wouldn't exactly trust anything they say.

http://www.academia.edu/1429225/The_Perfect_Solution_How_Trans_Fats_Became_the_Healthy_Replacement_for_Saturated_Fats
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    I use it on my hair... I don't prefer eating it.

It makes a great soap, too.

Great for treating sun burn also
  • NaBroski
    Options

A doctor

That was published in the Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society in the 1970's. This society also pushed trans fats into the american diet as being a perfect solution. I wouldn't exactly trust anything they say.

http://www.academia.edu/1429225/The_Perfect_Solution_How_Trans_Fats_Became_the_Healthy_Replacement_for_Saturated_Fats

Red+Herring.gif
  • judydelo1
    Options
    I use it on my hair... I don't prefer eating it.

It makes a great soap, too.

Great for treating sun burn also

Never apply oil to fresh sunburn!! It will lock the heat in and you will continue to burn! When skin is burned by the sun, it will continue to burn deeper layers for up to 24 hours. So if you have a "fresh" sunburn the best thing to do is apply ice packs, cold towels, lay in a tub of cold water, take a cold shower, etc. for hours after the burn starts. This will draw the heat out and keep your skin from becoming more damaged. Fill a bowl with water and ice and soak a towel in the icy water then wring out and apply to sunburn. In a few minutes the towel will be HOT. Soak in the icy water again and wring out, etc. You'll need to add more ice and change water after a short while. It's amazing how the heat is drawn out this way. You can apply pure aloe to the sunburn but wait a couple of days before applying oil or cream. I am a blue-eyed redhead and one of my sons is a blue-eyed redhead, and we've learned sunburn survival skills!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

A doctor

Red+Herring.gif

Hah! Excellent, well thought out post as usual. You get caught using an incredibly biased source and WE'RE the ones misdirecting? Please. You're cute though, with all your pretty pictures.
  • NaBroski
    Options
    Emissions of volatile organic compounds, including aldehydes, formed during heating of cooking oils:
    coconut, safflower, canola, and extra virgin olive oils were studied at different temperatures: 180, 210,
    240, and 240C after 6 h. Fumes were collected in Tedlarbags and later analysed by GC–MS. The emis-
    sions of volatiles were constant with time and increased with the oil temperature. When the temperature
    of the oil was above its smoke point, the emission of volatiles drastically increased, implying that oils
    with low smoke point, such as coconut, are not useful for deep-frying operations.
    Canola was the oil gen-
    erating the lowest amount of potentially toxic volatile chemicals. Acrolein formation was found even at
    low temperatures, indicating that home cooking has to be considered as an indoor pollution problemp

http://missclasses.com/mp3s/Prize CD 2010/Oils/oil cooking air pollution.pdf
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows old science is fake science.....
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Emissions of volatile organic compounds, including aldehydes, formed during heating of cooking oils:
    coconut, safflower, canola, and extra virgin olive oils were studied at different temperatures: 180, 210,
    240, and 240C after 6 h. Fumes were collected in Tedlarbags and later analysed by GC–MS. The emis-
    sions of volatiles were constant with time and increased with the oil temperature. When the temperature
    of the oil was above its smoke point, the emission of volatiles drastically increased, implying that oils
    with low smoke point, such as coconut, are not useful for deep-frying operations.
    Canola was the oil gen-
    erating the lowest amount of potentially toxic volatile chemicals. Acrolein formation was found even at
    low temperatures, indicating that home cooking has to be considered as an indoor pollution problemp

Who the **** is talking about deep frying in coconut oil? And who's talking about air pollution?

Additionally, please show me how virgin olive oil is involved in all this. Because just like olive oil, coconut is better in virgin and extra virgin varieties. Thus far you've drawn bad conclusions about regular coconut oil. You aint doing so hot.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I heard that it is "good" for you, but so are MANY other things. ONE thing does NOT make a Healthy Body...many small and consistent changes have to take place. Living a healthy Lifestyle you will inevitably get around to making all the changes needed but coconut oil won't do the trick. Frankly, spending 12-17 dollars per pint is a but much for Me to spend on OIL! My first encounter with coconut oil was for hair and skin purposes...STILL, too much, again $12-17 bucks a pint...NOPE!
  • judydelo1
    Options
    Unrefined coconut oil has a smoke point of 350 degrees
    Refined coconut oil has a smoke point of 450 degrees

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

In my opinion, deep frying is never a healthy way to cook. I prefer to gently saute or pan fry vs deep fry.
  • NaBroski
    Options
    Canola was the oil gen-

Who the **** is talking about deep frying in coconut oil? And who's talking about air pollution?

Additionally, please show me how virgin olive oil is involved in all this. Because just like olive oil, coconut is better in virgin and extra virgin varieties. Thus far you've drawn bad conclusions about regular coconut oil. You aint doing so hot.

Read the full text there chuckles.

Coconut oil has a lower smoke point than olive oil (as I posted much earlier)

The "toxic chemicals" that you claim are released from olive oil are present in ALL cooking oils (coconut oil included). The lower the smoke point, the more readily they are released when cooking.

So by your own metric, coconut oil is inferior.
  • NaBroski
    Options
    Unrefined coconut oil has a smoke point of 350 degrees
    Refined coconut oil has a smoke point of 450 degrees

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

In my opinion, deep frying is never a healthy way to cook. I prefer to gently saute or pan fry vs deep fry.

From the same source:

Olive oil Extra virgin 375°F 191°C
    Olive oil Virgin 391°F 199°C[7]
    Olive oil Pomace 460°F 238°C[1]
    Olive oil Extra light 468°F 242°C[1]
    Olive oil, high quality (low acidity) Extra virgin 405°F 207°C
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    ughh
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    you are not supposed to swallow it after. after pulling it is supposed to be full of toxins.

Just... no. No. Toxins are dealt with by your liver and kidneys. They don't magically travel to your mouth by virtue of oil being there. And microbes are always in your mouth. You can't draw things up and out of the digestive system, and certainly not other organ systems, simply by swishing oil in your mouth.