If I don't get enough rest - I am BLOATED the next day.

Options
Is anyone else experiencing this? Everyone knows that you weigh the least first thing in the morning right?

Well what happens overnight that reduces the bloat and the number on the scale?

Seriously, If I weigh myself at night - get a great nights sleep - I tend to weigh less - and feel less bloated in the morning.

If I do not get sleep - it seems as if my body doesn't deflate as much through the night.

Anyone else experience this?
What happens at night to reduce the bloat?
Why doesn't it work when I don't get a good nights sleep?

Questions, questions...love MFP.

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Do you mean that you wake up a lot? Pretty much everything slows down when you sleep--heart rate, breathing rate--including peristalsis (basically digestion.) Perhaps not sleeping well enough and not slowing down peristalsis makes you bloated somehow? Wish I had an answer for ya!
  • kestrel359
    kestrel359 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been noticing this lately and was even thinking of posting about it too. I work full time, go to school full time, and have a one year old son, so I'm lucky if I get 5 hrs of sleep most nights. The last few weeks I've noticed that I wake up seriously bloated and it doesn't go away until I've sweated buckets at the gym. I was starting to wonder if this was normal or if there was something other than lack of sleep that was going on. Sorry I don't know the answer but I hope somewhere on here does.
  • ClassicStyles
    Options
    Hey,

It's me again. I was looking online and there is a correlation between obesity and lack of sleep as well as diabetes and no sleep.

Does anyone understand how and why we weigh less in the morning?? And why that is NOT so when we don't get enough sleep?

I'd really like to discuss this if we can. Anyone have any ideas? Eating instead of sleeping doesn't count.

Thanks.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Happens to me, too. I've even found that after little sleep, if I take a nap I weigh less than in the morning. In addition to appetite increasing due to more of certain hormones being produced, I read that it has something to do with a growth hormone that's produced when we sleep. Less of it promotes fat storage.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/899463-how-much-sleep-do-you-get-each-night

You all might be interested in this thread from a couple months back- tons of responses.

I was curious as to the correlation between weight loss and sleep. The responses seemed overwhelmingly in favor of those getting at least 6-7+ hours of sleep per night tend to have more weight loss and better health. There were quite a few who averaged 4-5 hrs and still had great success... however you will see a majority of people in the 6-7 range. Some people even posted graphs of their sleeping patterns and weight loss from their fit bit monitors.. which I thought was way cool!
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hey,

It's me again. I was looking online and there is a correlation between obesity and lack of sleep as well as diabetes and no sleep.

Does anyone understand how and why we weigh less in the morning?? And why that is NOT so when we don't get enough sleep?

I'd really like to discuss this if we can. Anyone have any ideas? Eating instead of sleeping doesn't count.

Thanks.

Here are my ideas: :smile:

We weigh less in the morning because while we sleep we are burning calories to digest the food and breakdown what we've eaten. Also, most people by the time they wake up have to "relieve" themselves in one way or another, so that flushes out your body of waste whether it be via intestines or bladder.

On the otherhand when you don't get enough sleep you're not giving your body enough time to rest and break down and digest nutrients. (your organs burn calories through digestion) Also, this may not obtain to everyone but my mom used to be a frequent night muncher.... she would wake up and go and grab a snack then go back to bed. That could be another thing for some people because if you think about it.. the longer you stay up, the more likely you are to graze in the fridge because you're bored and don't want to go to bed.
  • ClassicStyles
    Options
    Thank you very much.. That thread is exactly what I needed to confirm my findings. And you are correct as well. I just need to make sure I get more sleep each night. I am awakened by my St. Bernard for a few hours each EARLY morning... he wakes me every single morning at 5 am just to pee and then he wants to play. I don't have the heart to lock him out of the bedroom - that would be cruel. But then I can't get back to sleep. I'll figure it out.. but amazingly it is true... you lose weight while you sleep. Fantastic.