Medications that cause Weight Gain

Options
I am currently on a medication that has a side effect of weight gain. My doctor told me that it has the slimmest percentage of weight gain but still the side effect is there. I am super worried that this is going to stop my progress dead in its tracks. Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid gaining weight from being on this medication?

Replies

• lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    How long will you be on the medication? If you know it is a side effect, pay closer attention to what you are eating too. Then go back and ask yourself...Do I really need this medication? Could you aleviate the condition by some other means? Do some research and see if there are any alternatives. Good luck!
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Was the side effect "weight gain" or "increased appetite"? This can be an important distinction because if it causes "increased/decreased" appetite, it means that the drug is messing with the natural triggers in your brain that cause you to be full. If this is the case I would try to plan your meals/snacks the day before and eat them at designated times, then keep track of how you feel, mainly when you are hungry and how full you feel after certain meals- example if your meal is balanced with protein, fiber, etc then you should be able to be full for a certain amount of time. If the side effect is "weight gain" it may be due to increased water retention, hormonal changes, etc, but is different for every drug and every person. This can be managed by doing exactly what you are doing now: tracking what you eat and how much you exercise, and usually these gains are within a certain range of a couple pounds and can be lost (if they even occur) with dietary and exercise adjustments. I think at this point, give it some time, track your calories, plan your meals the best you can, and don't be paranoid- try not to weigh yourself more than once a week. I have some experience with both of these side effects actually and there are certain medicines that are known to cause more weight gain than others (those that increase appetite) and it seems that your doctor told you there is minimal gain with this medicine, and since you're already using MFP, I think you're already a step or more ahead of the game.
  • edidri6
    edidri6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have to take prednisone at high doses and for prolonged periods of time. While on it, it is very rough but I have found that if my will power is high and I monitor how my body responds to food and exercise during those times, I can still effectively control my weight. It takes a lot of work and dedication, but you can do it!