so, this is SO weird!

AprilChampion
AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
ok, so, i gained two pounds but i know why...(TOM was due two days ago...and NO im not pregnant, my best friend lived here for 7 months and moved out in february AND i started being more physical and eating better so my system is all kindsa wacked out) BUT, i measured myself today....even though i gained two pounds ( which is probably water weight due to TOM) ive lost INCHES. ive lost one inch in my waist in 8 days and one inch around my bust, but GAINED a HALF inch on my hips....that is SO weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im not asking for help or anything because im happy with the progress that im making, however, has this ever happened to anyone??? gaining weight but LOSING inches?! its bizarre for me. normally when i lose weight i lose inches, not the other way around.....

Replies

• loonpine2
    loonpine2 Posts: 44 Member
    muscle weighs more than fat... you have gained muscle while losing fat!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I can't make any sense of it either, but I have previously noticed I lose more inches when I'm at a plateau and fewer inches when I'm steadily losing weight.
    Well, the thing is, building brand new muscle is hard to do. Especially on a calorie deficit (many folks venture to call it "impossible" even). Maybe you have activated existing muscle (or your muscles are retaining water from newly increased exercise intensity).
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    If you were bloated/retaining water from TOM, your measurements would be bigger too so it's not TOM. You've gained muscle!! But don't fret. The more muscle you build, the more fat that muscle burns for you! :happy: Keep it up, girly!
  • vinjama
    vinjama Posts: 52
    I can't make any sense of it either, but I have previously noticed I lose more inches when I'm at a plateau and fewer inches when I'm steadily losing weight.
    Well, the thing is, building brand new muscle is hard to do. Especially on a calorie deficit (many folks venture to call it "impossible" even). Maybe you have activated existing muscle (or your muscles are retaining water from newly increased exercise intensity).

True, but if you're eating the calories you burn off during resistance type training, you're building lean muscle
    example.. those Biggest Loser contestants and the P90X program

The difference is when your trying to build bulk and mass, yea.. you need way more calories to make that possible.
  • AprilChampion
    AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
    muscle weighs more than fat

actually, its been documented that muscle and fat weigh the SAME but the density is different.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    muscle weighs more than fat

actually, its been documented that muscle and fat weigh the SAME but the density is different.

You can't have 2 items of the same size with different densities and have them weight the same amount. When people say muscle weighs more than fat it's referring to if you stay the same size but have a different % of fat versus muscle. It's like saying - what weighs more? A lb of feathers or a lb of lead? Well... they weigh the same, but if you say what weighs more 1 sq foot of feathers or one square foot of lead. That's more in line with this statement. Stated entirely it would be more like "muscle weighs more than the same size amount of fat" but why say all that?
This discussion has been closed.