Skinny girl wants to gain weight

Options
Hi,

I'm spreading MFP around at my office. I have a co-worker who wants to ask if this will work for skinny (as in skin and bones) girls who want to gain weight? And what kind of weight exactly will she gain? Muscle if she works out or fat if she just eats more?

Thanks

Replies

• elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    any weight gain is gained as a mixture of fat and muscle. in order to gain more muscle and less fat you need to eat slightly more than your body needs to maintain your everyday functions etc and you also need to weight train correctly in order to encourage muscle growth.
    some fat gain will also occur. if your co-worker has eating issues she is probably wise to get the advice/support of a personal trainer rather than 'going it alone"
  • Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    time to bulk
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    any weight gain is gained as a mixture of fat and muscle. in order to gain more muscle and less fat you need to eat slightly more than your body needs to maintain your everyday functions etc and you also need to weight train correctly in order to encourage muscle growth.
    some fat gain will also occur. if your co-worker has eating issues she is probably wise to get the advice/support of a personal trainer rather than 'going it alone"

this!
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I suggest that she talk to her doctor and learn the right way to go about it. She may also find out that no matter what she does at this time she may not be able to put any weight on. I was like that from my senior year in high school until I got pregnant with my first 10 years later. I could not get the scale to break 106 no matter what I ate.
  • Diana_Gioia
    Diana_Gioia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I suggest that she talk to her doctor and learn the right way to go about it. She may also find out that no matter what she does at this time she may not be able to put any weight on. I was like that from my senior year in high school until I got pregnant with my first 10 years later. I could not get the scale to break 106 no matter what I ate.

I used to be like that @ 115 lbs
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    its not about weight loss, its about fitness.... hence the name "my FITNESS pal"
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm spreading MFP around at my office. I have a co-worker who wants to ask if this will work for skinny (as in skin and bones) girls who want to gain weight? And what kind of weight exactly will she gain? Muscle if she works out or fat if she just eats more?

Thanks

i'm using this to gain weight and it helps massively, you set yourself a daily calorie goal and work towards it all the same, the app isn't particularly geared for weight gain but it's still helped me no end

if she decides to use this site she can feel free to add me for some pointers and support and a little weight gain comunity is starting to grow who will all happily add her too :)
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It's a very good tool to track not just the quantity, but also the quality of what she is eating. If she just can't gain weight, she may need to be very aware of the quality of her food, to avoid eating junk which just aggravates her metabolism and her body in general.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has crazy high maintenance calories (when sedentary, around 4000 a day) and he has problems trying to add mass. He doesn't track his calories, but I loosely do it for him. He's been going to the gym with me recently and he's been able to put on .5lb-1lb/week on 5000 calories a day. With hard gainers it's really just about getting as many calories into them as possible. There's no way he could eat 5000 calories of the stuff I eat every day but he can eat 5000 calories of mac n cheese made with whole milk, drenched in butter, extra cheese, and chunks of ham in it and stuff. I make him a cake about once a week just so he can always have an available source of high calorie food at his house at all times. When he finishes it I just make him a new one lol.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has crazy high maintenance calories (when sedentary, around 4000 a day) and he has problems trying to add mass. He doesn't track his calories, but I loosely do it for him. He's been going to the gym with me recently and he's been able to put on .5lb-1lb/week on 5000 calories a day. With hard gainers it's really just about getting as many calories into them as possible. There's no way he could eat 5000 calories of the stuff I eat every day but he can eat 5000 calories of mac n cheese made with whole milk, drenched in butter, extra cheese, and chunks of ham in it and stuff. I make him a cake about once a week just so he can always have an available source of high calorie food at his house at all times. When he finishes it I just make him a new one lol.

lol i wish i had a lady who'd do the same for me
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

lol i wish i had a lady who'd do the same for me

Lol I spoil him. He has this "learned helplessness" about him from me cooking everything for him. I don't think he knows how to boil water. I'm constantly making and preparing his foods. I cook then put stuff in containers and in his fridge in hopes that he remember how to use the microwave.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Oh, I feel for her............I was almost 30 before I broke 100.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    She should speak to a nutrionist, but that said, your body reflects what you put into it, if she eats lean protein, veggies, nuts, some fruit , along with a nice whey protein shake she should be able to gain muscle mass, but she has to be weighlifting along with it..You did not mention her age as that can be a factor, on how quickly or slow this process can take..
  • lasulit
    lasulit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! It's all helpful advice. ask the doctor first, right. I'm sure she'll be thrilled to read how members here offer their support like this. I'll show this to her tonight.

As for me I got info that I could use for my own goals. But I'm still 40 pounds away from my bulk phase. I figure I get to my ideal weight first and then start building muscle when I get to about 155 to 159 lbs.