Trying to reduce bf% w/o losing weight. Need advice, please.

Options
I have looked through so many topics here and various other websites that I can't see or think straight. I have a huge issue with over thinking and making things complicated when I don't have to. So I must rely on all of you wonderful people here to help me see the light. Long version: keep reading. Short version: skip to the last paragraph.

Before I get started, here is a rundown of my height/weight/age/etc:
Height: 5' 6"
Frame: Medium
Weight: 120lbs
BMR (according to Scooby): 1367
TDEE (again according to Scooby w/ moderate activity): 2118
BF% (Fat2Fit Military Calculator): 22.9%

My typical activities include: Walking 3-4 miles a day, running 3 times a week, and recently I started doing Insanity just for the challenge.

What I want to achieve is reducing my BF% from 22.9% (if that is even accurate) to around 20%. I want to exchange some flab for a more smooth, "toned" look.

Now I have two questions:

I don't really want to lose weight. The lowest I would want to go is 116. Anything below that and I start looking anorexic. So how do I go about losing body fat without losing a lot of weight. Is it as simple as eating my TDEE in calories (keeping proteins, carbs, and fats in mind) and doing some weight training? I have no access to a gym (none local) so I want to know if exercising at home with some basic dumbbells/resistance bands/exercise ball and body weight training would be enough to maintain and build muscle to help reduce my BF%.

My other question is, am I doing too many cardio type activies? Should I focus more on weight training? I want to keep running and walking, but I wonder if Insanity is doing more harm than good. I find I wake up very tired even with 8 hours of sleep and continue to feel tired until late in the afternoon, and my legs are constantly tired. Am I just overworking myself and burning too far into a calorie deficit?

I'm sorry if I made this too long. I am just at wits end from all the information I've been trying to take in.

Short version is: I want to lose BF% without losing weight. Would maintaining my walking (4m/day)/running (3 days/week)+ TDEE + adding some basic at home muscle building activities do the trick for me or is there something I am missing? I'm very open to suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You should eat atleast at maintenance or I would recommend even a little above (to build muscle) and get on a reputable weight training program, like Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women. I would also do less cardio than you are now. Edited: you can do some of the stuff with dumbbells but I would recommend getting an olympic bar and some weight plates, you can do everything with that amount of equipment.

It will take time, aim for around 6 months.
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you don't want weights, get You Are Your Own Gym - it will make you stronger and help you maintain your lean body mass, which is what's going to keep your weight stable while you lose body fat.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    In order to lose body fat without losing weight is going to involve a heavy lifting program and eating at a very slight or no deficit and keep your cardio to a minimum (you don't have to eliminate cardio, just cut down)

You want to hold on to every bit of muscle that you can and only make the fat disappear.

A "normal" diet with no weight training usually has a five pound weight loss consisting of 3 pounds of fat and 2 pounds of muscle. (These are very general numbers). Now with a heavy lifting program and a slight or no deficit (and adequate protein), you may lose 4 pounds of fat but only one (or less) pounds of muscle for every 5 pounds lost.

And I am afraid that I disagree with ladyjoie, a body weight program is not going to provide adequate stimulus to your muscles.