How long weight loss started?

cynthiaj777
cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm been doing this going on 3 weeks. I've lost all of 2 lbs. I eat under my calories every day. I also exercise almost every day. I don't understand. This happened a few years ago. I worked out for 2 months straight, and I didn't lose a single lb. It eventually made me just quit. Since then I've gained 15 MORE lbs.

I don't know what else to do to start the weight loss! Any suggestions?

How long did it take your weight loss to start? Were you eating all of your calories? I'm usually a few 100 under, but I do that because there are things that add fat that are hard to keep up wth i.e. salting your food, cooking with olive oil, the 3 tablespoons, not 2 you thought you had of something....

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Are you eating your exercise calories? If not you should eat 50-80% of them this may be why, sounds counter intuitive but your metabolism needs fuel to work at it best.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    it can take a while hon ... I didn't see DRASTIc results for 3 or 4 months ... I lost a lb here and there, but after being CONSISTANT for three months with my Exersise AND eating right, it fell off, took me three months to lose 10 , then I lost another 40 lbs in a short few months after that ... It's a lifestyle thing babe :) Think of it for life, not a quick fix ...

Also, I found Keeping it off was harder than losing it! :) Have fun with the results :D

What is your work out routine? what is your daily lifestyle (sit at a desk all day etc) Working out will REALLY help the weightloss
  • Maybe switch up your diet - like go low carbs. Also change up your exercise routine - I found that after awhile of the same routine I stop losing. Good luck - I know it sucks when you feel there is no progress.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I've been losing weight every week; amount varies. Sometimes .6 lbs, this morning 1.6 lbs. I eat all of my calories +/- 100 and eat at least half my exercise calories. If you're doing exercise and not eating your calories then you're not giving your body enough fuel! Eat the calories you burned while exercising and that will help. Also, if you just started working out 2 weeks ago, depending on your workouts, you could be building muscle which could retain water to help them rebuild after a workout. Are you keeping measurements? Just because you're not losing weight does not mean your not losing fat! As you build muscle and lose fat they'll offset on the scale, so measurements then help you see progress that the scale won't track.

Also, check your sodium and water. Not enough water causes your body to retain water; too much sodium causes your body to retain water. Drink AT LEAST half your body weight in ounces per day, and limit your sodium as much as you can. If you go over, I recommend 8 ounces of water more per 300-400mg of excess sodium. Also, keep in mind that as you workout hard you need to replenish waht you sweat which adds to your daily water intake. I know that seems like a lot, but it helps!!

All of these things I've suggested are what I've come to through trial and error and haven't steered me wrong yet. Try them out and be patient; it will take a few weeks for your body to adjust. When it does, let the weight fall off! :drinker:

EDIT: I looked at your food diary. YOU NEED TO EAT MORE!! For example, 1 May you only ate 800 calories when with exercise you were alloted 2,000! I noticed that for the last week you've been under 1,200 calories, whether you exercised or not. You're starving your body which slows your metabolism down. That's why you're not losing weight. Eat all of your 1,200 calories AND 80% of your workout calories. You may gain weight initially until your body realizes you're not starving it anymore and then the weight will fall off! Also, if you set MFP to losing 2 lbs a week, redo to 1lb a week weight loss at least until you get started and then you can change it back.

Read this article, it'll put it in to perspective and hopefully spell out what you should expect:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing?hl=700+calories
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    You could be under eating and your body is in starvation mode. Your muscles could be in shock due to all your exercise and are trying to retain water to protect themselves. It could be a number of things.

What are you doing working out? Are you getting your heart rate up high enough? Pushing yourself hard enough?

Are you stressed? Stress can really hinder your weight loss.

What kind of foods are you eating? Processed foods? Are you getting enough protein?

It took me a couple of months before I started to see any type of real weight loss changes. A pound here and there but nothing major. You have to figure out what works for your body. Cardio works wonders for me. I use to hate cardio but have fun a program that I absoultely love!

Don't give up! You will get there. It just takes time. I have to agree with the previous statement as well. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. If you think of it as a diet you aren't going to be successful.
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    I hear you, I ran on the treadmill for 30 minutes every day for two months and NOTHING! And like you, gained 15 more. For some reason I've now lost 20 lbs, and am right into working out doing circuit training and walking etc, and watching what I eat and making my calories count...all good food, fuelling my workouts.
    It will happen, be patient and keep at it as you are getting healthy in the meantime!
  • NMorse1907
    NMorse1907 Posts: 90 Member
    I personally started losing within the first few days and am still losing, although a lot slower now. I eat almost all of my calories, including the extra calories given by exercising. It could be that your not eating enough for the amount of exercise you. Hope this helps some...:0)
  • cynthiaj777
    Eric, can you view my food diary and give me some advice? This past week has been rough because it was finals week at school, so I didn't work out as much, but before that for 2 weeks straight I worked out. And because I burn so many calories at the gym, I don't end up eating 1200 net calories per day. This past week I have been eating them though...and I feel like I've gained weight!

Serenifly, I go in around 9:30ish. I do the elliptical for about 45 minutes, which burns around 450 calories (varies depending on the speed I go). Then I do strength training for my abs, legs and back. 4 reps of 20 on 4 different machines. I started at 50 lbs, but my friend said the muscle mass might be displacing my weight loss, so I have been gradually going down. I'm now doing 20 lbs on all the machines.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    it can take a while hon ... I didn't see DRASTIc results for 3 or 4 months ... I lost a lb here and there, but after being CONSISTANT for three months with my Exersise AND eating right, it fell off, took me three months to lose 10 , then I lost another 40 lbs in a short few months after that ... It's a lifestyle thing babe :) Think of it for life, not a quick fix ...

Also, I found Keeping it off was harder than losing it! :) Have fun with the results :D

What is your work out routine? what is your daily lifestyle (sit at a desk all day etc) Working out will REALLY help the weightloss

I have to agree. Sometimes when you're focusing on JUST weigh loss it's not as easy. Most of the time confidence and positive attitude is the key - mostly because it won't discourage you from continuing on. It doesn't happen over night. I want to lose about 20 lbs. It took me a month to lose four and another two months to lose 2 more. You need to burn more than you consume, but keep in mind that your body needs the right fuels and nutrients to survive. Don't deprive yourself. Lean protiens - meats, nuts, fruits, veggies, etc. It's cliche, but try and focus on the positives of why you are doing this. Have you taken measurements? That's where I see my improvement - in the measuring tape, not the scale.

Also, as women, I think it's harder for us. We have so many hormones that reek havoc on our bodies, mind, and over all spirit. We tire. We stress. We PMS. Don't beat yourself up. Keep smiling. Positive attitude and consistency, your body will react. :flowerforyou:
  • cynthiaj777
    You could be under eating and your body is in starvation mode. Your muscles could be in shock due to all your exercise and are trying to retain water to protect themselves. It could be a number of things.

What are you doing working out? Are you getting your heart rate up high enough? Pushing yourself hard enough?

Are you stressed? Stress can really hinder your weight loss.

What kind of foods are you eating? Processed foods? Are you getting enough protein?

It took me a couple of months before I started to see any type of real weight loss changes. A pound here and there but nothing major. You have to figure out what works for your body. Cardio works wonders for me. I use to hate cardio but have fun a program that I absoultely love!

Don't give up! You will get there. It just takes time. I have to agree with the previous statement as well. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. If you think of it as a diet you aren't going to be successful.

I'm getting over my protein that's for sure. I have been stressed, but I don't think any more than I am usually stressed out from school and work.

I do have a problem with getting my heart rate up. At first, I was hitting 175 easily. Now when I set it at 175 target, I can't go much over 150. The machines are a little iffy, so I don't know if it's accurate. If it is, why would my heart rate not be getting up anymore? The gym is also very cool, so I barely sweat while I'm working. I think all of this combined is what is causing me not to lose weight more rapidly.
  • cynthiaj777

I have to agree. Sometimes when you're focusing on JUST weigh loss it's not as easy. Most of the time confidence and positive attitude is the key - mostly because it won't discourage you from continuing on. It doesn't happen over night. I want to lose about 20 lbs. It took me a month to lose four and another two months to lose 2 more. You need to burn more than you consume, but keep in mind that your body needs the right fuels and nutrients to survive. Don't deprive yourself. Lean protiens - meats, nuts, fruits, veggies, etc. It's cliche, but try and focus on the positives of why you are doing this. Have you taken measurements? That's where I see my improvement - in the measuring tape, not the scale.

Also, as women, I think it's harder for us. We have so many hormones that reek havoc on our bodies, mind, and over all spirit. We tire. We stress. We PMS. Don't beat yourself up. Keep smiling. Positive attitude and consistency, your body will react. :flowerforyou:

I have started measuring every night when I get out of the shower, so I'll know immediately if it is going UP. I didn't take note before I started this, but somewhere within the first week I measured and since then I've lost about 3/4 of an inch on my stomach, which is my problem area.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Not sweating could mean you aren't getting enough water. Do you drink half your body weight in oz of water a day? This will play a HUGE factor!!

Your heart rate will have a hard time getting up because your body is use to the routine. I use to spike to almost 170 in no time doing 30 Day Shred. I'm lucky to get over 140 now. My body got use to it. You have to constantly change things up and push yourself. Push yourself hard. This is something I struggle with. It's all in your mind.
  • cynthiaj777
    Not sweating could mean you aren't getting enough water. Do you drink half your body weight in oz of water a day? This will play a HUGE factor!!

Your heart rate will have a hard time getting up because your body is use to the routine. I use to spike to almost 170 in no time doing 30 Day Shred. I'm lucky to get over 140 now. My body got use to it. You have to constantly change things up and push yourself. Push yourself hard. This is something I struggle with. It's all in your mind.

I'm an avid water drinker. I drink nothing but water normally. I have inserted diet coke into my diet because it has flavor and has no calories. Yet, I know I drink enough water! I've heard this elsewhere, but there has to be some other reason I'm not sweating. I can walk outside on a hot day and be drenched, but when I work out and WANT to sweat, it is hard. :(

I'm sticking to my work out though. I am determined to lose 30 lbs!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Just a side note - don't weigh or measure any time but in the morning after you use the bathroom and before you eat, naked. Weighing or measuring at night will not be accurate as your weight and measurements fluctuate daily and throughout the day. If you've been eating and drinking water all day, your measurements will be different. Shoot for first thing in the morning.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    I checked out your diary.

going back a few weeks:

4/27 no breakfast, popcorn for lunch, and alcohol and chinese food for dinner

4/28 no breakfast

4/29 no breakfast and 100 calorie packs of crackers and cookies and soda for lunch

4/30 no breakfast, cheese nips for lunch, and tons of alcohol, dip, and french fries for a 2000 calorie dinner, and that's it.

5/1 no breakfast again, cheese nips for lunch, and a decent dinner for a TOTAL of 800 calories yet you BURNED 800 calories in exercise, so essentially you gave your body ZERO fuel!!!!!!!!!!

Every day is either god awful CR@P junkfood or you starve yourself!!!!!

If you keep this up you will not only NOT lose weight but you could be slowly KILLING yourself.

Look at my diary for the last few weeks, see how FULL each page is? See how I eat a TON ALL DAY long, and never go over?

Where are your fresh fruits? Your sodium intake must be ASTRONOMICAL with all the packaged cr@p you eat.

Buy FRESH ingredients and COOK them.

You need to spread your intake out throughout the day and not starve yourself all day then slam down a 1000 calorie pigout and think your doing good...
    you are hurting your metabolism severely, and your body is dying slowly.

I am sorry for the rant everyone, but when I read her post and then looked at her diary, I didn't know whether to throw up, or cry for her, maybe both in that order.

points to remember -
    100 calorie packs are horrible. an apple is less calories. eat that instead.
    alcohol is evil
    NEVER eat less than your BMR in a day
    breakfast is ESSENTIAL, it fires up your metabolism for the day
    fresh fruits and veggies are your best friends

Cynthia, PLEASE don't take this as an attack, I am not writing this angrily or with a cocky attitude, I am nearly in tears for you. You are just uneducated about what it means to be healthy. This site is NOT about a quick easy way to drop weight off, it is about making a positive LIFELONG change for your body's health.
    I'm sorry if I came off as attacking you, I am just hoping I can give you a wake-up call of sorts.
  • cynthiaj777
    If you look back through my diary, I do eat veggies....and A LOT. The past week that you looked at was finals week at school. No, it was not conducive to healthy eating, but it wasn't horrible...and yes I drank LOTS of alcohol. The prior two weeks logged are much more healthy. Plus, the days you are commenting on had salads and veggies ALSO during the day.

I eat the 100 packs for breakfast when I work. Otherwise, I'm not up at breakfast . Those were logged into lunch because I was off all week working on finals. You are getting upset over the worst week that happens twice a year.....finals. And the 2000 calorie dinner with alcohol AND the Thai food were dates...heck yeh I ate for free!

So, what is your solution to eating breakfast when I'm not up until later in the day?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    so I did look back, all the way to the first day you logged, and I honestly could not find one day that I consider "good".

April 15th was your best day (your 2nd day)

one day, you ate 1095, but BURNED 1225 in exercise? you didn't eat back any of it, resulting in you consuming NEGATIVE, not just ZERO calories, but NEGATIVE net calories for the day. You STARVED your body. When you do this your body thinks you are trying to KILL it and will hold onto every ounce of fat for dear life, literally.

I'm sorry if you think I am criticizing you, but if you continue the way you are, not only will you never lose any weight, but you will become more and more unhealthy.
    April 20, 21, 22, and 24, you also ended the day with net calories well under 1000.
    Your body requires more than that just to breathe and make your heart beat.

Please think about speaking to a nutritionist or someone who can explain this all to you in person. I truly fear for your health.

(and you should log the FIRST thing you eat when you wake up as "breakfast" because you are breaking the fast you were on all night, it doesn't matter if it is 2PM, it is still your "break-fast")
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    You're looking for help, yet, are getting quite defensive towards the help you getting. If you don't want help, don't ask for it...but you should at least listen to what's being said. A lot of people here have met great success and have great advice to give.

- Track your sodium. You are eating a lot of processed foods and I'm sure you're going over 2500mg a day. Too much makes you retain water and thus making you appear to weigh more.

- Quit the Diet Coke. It's not something you want to get addicted too. And you will get addicted to it, without a doubt.

- Water, water, water. Don't drink anything else for a week or two and see what happens.

- You may be eating fruits and veggies, but you're certainly not eating enough. 5-7 servings...the more variety you get, the better.
    (Today I've had less than usual: banana, apple, strawberries, potato, carrots, corn, blueberries and tomato)

- I know getting 1200 NET calories is hard. It's a battle I've been having difficulty with ever since I upped my intensity last week. But you have to do your best to get up there...even if you introduce more calories gradually. You (more than likely) will hit a wall/plateau sooner than later if you don't get your calories in. And by that I mean, good quality calories...not junk food. I have ice cream every night...and it hasn't deterred my weight loss. But I love my fruits and veggies and get them into my diet every day. Balance, balance, balance.

Good luck. And I hope you take some of the things people have said here to heart. It really can't hurt to try!
This discussion has been closed.