English Proficiency Tests Should Be Illegal

Options
JavaSparrow
JavaSparrow Posts: 51 Member
I'm so angry I can't sleep. I just have to tell someone about this.

I'm in high school, I switched school districts this past year. One of the questions on the forms my parents filled out was "Is English the only language spoken at home?" to which they marked "no" since my father occasionally speaks Spanish. Usually, questions that involve language or race are asked because it can open scholarship opportunities.
This wasn't one of those times.
Because of that one little answer, I was pulled out of class one day and told I was to take an English Proficiency Assessment. I complained. My parents complained. But they insisted it was mandated by the state that all "English Learning Students" be given this test. I asked what would happen if I passed.
"Then your parents can contact the office saying you don't need to be a part of our English help services."
I swallowed my pride. Took the same test my father was given when he was in a predominately white high-school.
Months went by and I laughed it off.
But they pulled me out of class again, to take more tests.
"Oh, see the first one was just to see where your English was at. This one is like a check-up test."
What?
I was infuriated.
"What happens if I fail?"
"Then the school looks bad for not providing you services and when school starts again you'll have to take required English help classes."
I decided to mark every answer "A" since I wouldn't be coming back next year, and maybe it would help the board re-think it's ridiculous policies.
The other students there with me were all Hispanics who spoke perfect English. They had taken tests like these before, and were required to take these tests at least bi-annually for two years. But more than that because they had also been taking these tests in elementary and middle school.
The test itself was an insult.
The characters in the passages of the reading portion had names like "Juan" and "Maria", and one of the audio clips for the listening section said things like, "If I were in Mexico right now, I would be so happy."
I told my dad they were testing me again and he was angry too. He came in with me the next day when I was suppose to take the second section of the test, to tell the office that it was a mistake and I shouldn't have to take this test.
They basically told him to screw off and that it was out of their hands.
They were also pissed off about how I answered my questions all "a" and made up consequences for me unless I changed my answers and finished the test to the best of my abilities.
These consequences included daily mandatory English help classes that would count toward my GPA, meaning if I failed them, it would kill my grades.
I had to comply after that.

In case it's unclear, I see these tests as discrimination. In a country where "Illegal Immigrant" isn't even considered politically correct anymore, I'm shocked policies like this still exist in 2013. Were I new to English, I would only feel more frustrated and alienated being forced to take this test. I'm sure it does more harm than good.
At the very least, these tests shouldn't be required by law.

What do you guys think? Is there anything I can do?

Replies

• Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There are some schools in London where people who speak English as a first language are a minority and the range of first languages spoken is simply mind blowing. Without support and lessons at school, in families where the only other language is, say, Polish, these children would grow up in England with a very poor grasp of English.

Yes, such tests are a bureaucratic nonsense for a lot of people who are fully bilingual, but it is very easy to overlook someone's needs. What is basically an inconvenience for you may well be the net that catches that someone requires one-on-one assistance so they can make the most of their education.

Should you be able to opt out? Perhaps, yes, if you score high enough on one test. But then again, my English is considerably better than when I was nine and there's nothing to say that someone with English as a foreign language would progress at anywhere like the same level without continued support and check-ups to see if that support has become required.
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Couldn't understand a word you said :tongue:

Sorry couldn't resist!

It sounds stupidly ridiculous. If English was a second language and was not spoken well or the person was struggling, then you could understand them wanting to do the tests and extra lessons. But I don't understand if your bilingual you should have to do them. My friend speaks 7 languages fluently and knows 2 more (not fluent). It would be insane for her to have to take English tests on top of normal lessons.

And really, Juan, missing Mexico?! Really????

I love that you answered A to each question. If you were in the UK then I'd tell you to keep doing that coz really, as long as you have A to C in maths, english and science, then the rest of your grades mean diddly squat. Not so sure how it works in the US though...Can you take it higher up the board maybe?

Say you're spending so much time taking these tests that you don't have enough time to focus on your other lessons.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. Judging from your excellent grammar and spelling, you in no way need assistance with English and that would be patently obvious. The tests are definitely discriminatory.

I would start by contacting your member of congress. Do other students who are forced to take the test object? You could draft up a letter that everyone who objects could sign and send it, in addition to local politicians, but also the school board.

I don't blame you, I'd be angry too.

Strange that they phrase the question like that, I only ever remember seeing "is English the main language spoken at home?". Their phrasing just asks for trouble.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you have to do things you don't like. English is my first language in a country where there are two official languages, I had to take english reading and writing tests for college/university, that's life. Also that kind of questioning is very common here in Canada. I think it's strange that as a result of answering no but..... you would have to go through this. I'd be upset that if that happened to me but all you can do is try to go over their heads, maybe talk to a superintendent or their boss. It may work, it may not but either way, you will be done high school soon.