Why am I so cold?

Options
sniffles
sniffles Posts: 295
Haha. I wasn't sure where to put this one!

So, apparently you're supposed to feel warmer when you have a full stomach because your body is busy digesting... is that correct? And when you're operating on an empty stomach your temperature drops a wee bit. I forget the exact reasons why I just remember a very well-learned friend explaining this to me.

Anyway, so why is it I feel warm when I'm hungry (almost without fail if my stomach is growling I feel nice and hot) and after I eat I get SUPER cold. Just got back from lunch now and the temperature in my office hasn't changed but I'm shivering like mad! This happens anytime I let myself get really hungry before eating. What makes even less sense if that I've been walking around which SHOULD have raised my temperature and yet hasn't.

Anyone else experience this or know the science behind this phenom?

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    You're cold because you've lost over 40 pounds silly. Like a seal without his blubber, you will shiver forevermore! It's not so bad, you'll get used to it.

<<I don't have an explanation for the hot when hungry thing,,, I'm gonna blame it on girly hormones, but I know all about the cold thing>>.
  • sniffles
    Options
    You're cold because you've lost over 40 pounds silly. Like a seal without his blubber, you will shiver forevermore! It's not so bad, you'll get used to it.

<<I don't have an explanation for the hot when hungry thing,,, I'm gonna blame it on girly hormones, but I know all about the cold thing>>.

BLASTED GIRLY HORMONES! They are always trying to make my life miserable. :(

Haha. I almost miss my blubber! I've never been so cold in my life! Someone should help me buy some sweaters or something! The big joke around the office is becoming me and my jacket, because I rarely take it off (except when I'm hungry and hot. HAHA)
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    From what I understand you body will pull more blood towards your digestive system and stomach to aid in digestion (when eating) which in turn will cause less blood to be in the other areas of your body, making you cold. When you aren't eating or hungry, you should (not taking into account other things that could be going on) have more blood elsewhere to keep your warmer.... BUT that is the opposite from what your friend explained. I could be wrong but have done some research to verify and it seems to be holding up.

Yeah, the girly hormones will getcha! ;)
  • sniffles
    Options
    From what I understand you body will pull more blood towards your digestive system and stomach to aid in digestion (when eating) which in turn will cause less blood to be in the other areas of your body, making you cold. When you aren't eating or hungry, you should (not taking into account other things that could be going on) have more blood elsewhere to keep your warmer.... BUT that is the opposite from what your friend explained. I could be wrong but have done some research to verify and it seems to be holding up.

Yeah, the girly hormones will getcha! ;)

It's quite likely my friend got the information mixed up because what you just explained sounds reasonable!

:) Thank you! I love knowing the science behind simple little things and I'm lousy at googling. I know that sounds silly but I really am! HAHA.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I know without fail that the colder I am the more weight I've lost that week. If this holds true I hope I'm never warm again! :laugh: