GPS accuracy -- is there a good one?

Options
debi_f
debi_f Posts: 330 Member
I took up running in November and like to track my distance, route, calories burned, etc. I downloaded Runtastic onto my iPod and took off.

Everything was wonderful. Or so I thought.

I realize now that while the app was telling me I was running more than 5K, I was actually not quite making 4. Of course, this also affected the pace I *thought* I was doing.

While I can deal with the slower pace, I really want to know how far I've run more accurately. Let's just say that the 5K race I ran on Monday was a bit of a wake-up call!

Is there an app or a *gadget* (for lack of a better word at the moment) that you've found to be fairly accurate in tracking distance? I'd love it if I could also track my route, pace and calories, too...

Thanks!

Replies

• bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Use google maps to plan a journey and it works it out for you accurately
  • MissMeg95
    Options
    I love this one, really easy to use and you can also use it to go cross country: (We can post links here, right?)

http://gb.mapometer.com/

Just plan it out beforehand as the above poster said. You can track average pace by just doing a bit of math over the distances you want to track your pace for. :)
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    my husband loves (LOVES) his garmin watch with HRM and gps, and upon comparing what it says he runs with mapping it out on google maps and measuring with the car it seems pretty accurate.

I also have a garmin and while I think the GPS function is great, the hrm seems only ok, and, while it claims to base calorie burn based on first beat Heart Rate monitoring (or similar) it routinely gives me really really low values for my indoor walks (ie 35 calories per 45 minutes) whereas the similar walk outdoors is around 400 calories- so I suspect regardless of its claim the calorie burn calculation is also gps based.

if you don't want to buy anything - try google maps or logmyrun.com or even endomondo or a combination and compare
  • debi_f
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Very happy with my Garmin 305, you may be able to find one as they have been replaced by a new product for a decent price.

JC
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Nike + Run app is spot on and has many other options that are helpful. Plus it's free. I returned my Garmin after 2 watches in 3 mths bc it didn't ever sync where I was until late into my run.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Nike + Run app is spot on and has many other options that are helpful. Plus it's free. I returned my Garmin after 2 watches in 3 mths bc it didn't ever sync where I was until late into my run.
    They may have been faulty, but I have found out with mine that is links to a satellite quickly when battery is fully charged and place the monitor on a flat surface (ie car bonnet) when you are warming up for a minute or so. If you have the watch on your wrist and switched it on it may takes longer to find the link as it may face the ground and not the sky (hope I am making myself clear :happy: )
    JC
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Been very happy with the Garmin Forerunner 110 (the version with a HRM). It's pretty acurate.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    for some good reviews I checked out this guy:

www.dcrainmaker.com

Indepth reviews of almost any run/bike/swim product you could want. Was very helpful for me!
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper and was having problems with accuracy as well. After reading up online I found that if you don't turn off the wifi before you go on your run it tries picking it up from houses or whatever and it messes with your readings. Now I turn off the wifi before every run and has found it to be accurate
  • debi_f
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I've looked into the Garmin and the Nike+, but they're just a bit out of my price range at the moment (will take some saving...). ;-) I like the Garmin, though. Not sure I want to have to buy special shoes to be able to use the Nike+ system.
    I use runkeeper and was having problems with accuracy as well. After reading up online I found that if you don't turn off the wifi before you go on your run it tries picking it up from houses or whatever and it messes with your readings. Now I turn off the wifi before every run and has found it to be accurate

Now this is interesting! i'll have to try that on my run this evening. I'll map it out on a website and track the run to see how close they are in the end. Thanks!