Getting tired during a workout

Options
Basically, for the last few weeks, I've been getting half an hour into a 2 hour cardio workout and my energy is completely zapped. Between the two hour sessions, I go and stand outside, and in the UK it hasn't exactly been warm at night - but this hasn't helped to wake me up. I feel sluggish and I feel I could do a hell of a lot better if I had a bit more energy - but don't get me wrong, I do still try and I see it through.

I eat my dinner an hour before I go and exercise, and I also keep very well hydrated. I've even tried drinking coffee just over an hour before.

Has anyone else felt like this and what have you changed to make sure you had enough energy to get the best of your workout?

EDIT: This has been working for me until the last 3 weeks.

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Not workout for 2 hours.

If you have the intensity high enough, half an hour to 45 minutes should be plenty for cardio... No need to even cross into the hour, 2 hour mark.. unless you are training for something specific.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Not workout for 2 hours.

If you have the intensity high enough, half an hour to 45 minutes should be plenty for cardio... No need to even cross into the hour, 2 hour mark.. unless you are training for something specific.

Forgot to mention, the second hour is strength based.
  • stestut
    stestut Posts: 42
    Options
    Have a good complex carb along with a protein before heading to the gym. Carbs are your body's energy.
  • socklet
    socklet Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I am far from an excercise buff, but I find evening is the worst time for energy stamina. I work shifts so I am lucky to be able to do it afternoon time a half hour after a fruit smoothie. That's what works best for me, but good luck. I'll be chuffed when I can do more than a half hours cardio though so well done!!
  • whankammer
    whankammer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Even if the second hour is strength training thats WAY to long. You should be doing your Strength training BEFORE your cardio, that way your muscles aren't already tired from all the walking/running/whatever you're doing. Then do only about 30-45 mins of cardio AFTER if ANY at all.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If you do strength training you shouldn't do cardio first. You'll have more energy for lifts and after you're done the cardio will help push out lactic acid making recovery faster.

Lack of energy is usually due to having too low carbs. There's nothing wrong with a little caffeine to keep your gym time rolling.
  • dad106
    Options
    Not workout for 2 hours.

Forgot to mention, the second hour is strength based.

Yeah, you def. should break that up if you can.

You could easily do half an hour of cardio, half an hour of strength if the intensity is high enough and still feel like you had a two hour workout.

Honestly, I do mine on separate days, and don't feel that burnout that you describe.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, but this always worked for me in the past. It's only recently I've been a hell of a lot more tired. I was hoping someone could criticize my diary or to give some experiences.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It could be because it is the end of your day and you are tired. I don't think it makes a difference when you do your cardio vs strength training, I do whatever I feel like on that day. I average 30-60 minutes of cardio and 30-45 minutes of circuits for strength training, no particular reason other than that is how I like to do it. You could try eating a small snack and doing your workout 30 minutes later, then eat dinner when you are all done.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    It could be because it is the end of your day and you are tired. I don't think it makes a difference when you do your cardio vs strength training, I do whatever I feel like on that day. I average 30-60 minutes of cardio and 30-45 minutes of circuits for strength training, no particular reason other than that is how I like to do it. You could try eating a small snack and doing your workout 30 minutes later, then eat dinner when you are all done.

Thank you for your response!

It's just lately cardio knackers me, no idea why. I generally eat something quick to whip up before I go, I have a chicken or seafood stirfry. I'm not sure what sort of snack that would keep me going..!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Even if the second hour is strength training thats WAY to long. You should be doing your Strength training BEFORE your cardio, that way your muscles aren't already tired from all the walking/running/whatever you're doing. Then do only about 30-45 mins of cardio AFTER if ANY at all.

This
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how many calories do you net per day?
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    how many calories do you net per day?

1633 generally a day. If it's a workout day I try to eat back 50% if I exercise at night, I eat back 100% if I exercise in the morning.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options

It's just lately cardio knackers me, no idea why. I generally eat something quick to whip up before I go, I have a chicken or seafood stirfry. I'm not sure what sort of snack that would keep me going..!

30 minutes (or so) before a workout I eat 100-200 calories involving protein and carbs....half a banana with peanut butter or cottage cheese and fruit and/or yogurt, or half of a protein bar, or a couple slices of deli meat with a glass of milk...whatever I feel like eating at that time.
    I'm not sure why I would want to avoid cardio.....it burns calories.....and it in no way causes me to have a less effective strength training session.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I try to eat back 50% if I exercise at night, I eat back 100% if I exercise in the morning.

why?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As others have already said, you're working out way too long! If you do an hour of cardio before resistance training, you're not going to get even a remotely decent strength training workout in!
  • kellehbeans
    Options

30 minutes (or so) before a workout I eat 100-200 calories involving protein and carbs....half a banana with peanut butter or cottage cheese and fruit and/or yogurt, or half of a protein bar, or a couple slices of deli meat with a glass of milk...whatever I feel like eating at that time.
    I'm not sure why I would want to avoid cardio.....it burns calories.....and it in no way causes me to have a less effective strength training session.

It didn't me either. Not until now. Worrying I'm not eating enough.

@TavistockToad - I guesstimate how much I will burn and eat 50% more, but I usually go to eat them all back at night but don't feel it.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    As others have already said, you're working out way too long! If you do an hour of cardio before resistance training, you're not going to get even a remotely decent strength training workout in!

My body says otherwise. Thanks for your advice though - it had been working for me, now I'm just tired.
  • dad106
    Options

My body says otherwise. Thanks for your advice though - it had been working for me, now I'm just tired.

The key is, it had been working for you.. now it's not.

Your body is telling you it's tired.. so rest, and switch it up.

If it doesn't work, then you can always go back to what your doing.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    what about a protein boost between the two, can you bring a protein drink, food something.

I do cardio and strength daily but only 15 minutes to get my body warmed up. Could you cut back a bit on the cardio to allow you to have the strength to do the strength?

Has something changed in your food intake lately? Perhaps bump up the proteins and see if that helps?