Losing weight in all the wrong places

Options
Hi everyone,I could really use some advice. I have been working out consistently for a while now trying to lose the last bit of weight on my lower half (which is where I keep all my weight). The unfortunate thing is that I keep losing weight on top which is making it so I can almost see my ribs between my boobs. I really want to tone up and look great, but how do I do that without looking like Skeletor on top? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    What does your exercise consist of? I have noticed a big difference in my lower body shape since I amped up the lower body strength training.
  • NatashaB8
    NatashaB8 Posts: 202
    Options
    That is happening to me too. I can now see my collarbone and ribs under my boobs but I am still holding onto the weight around my hips and stomach and *kitten*.

I had jiggly thighs however they are rapidly turning to muscle ever since I started strength training and I hope this happens to my huge butt too!

Squats are my best friend now haha.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you cant do anything about where your body loses fat from first.... for me it is upper body, for some its lower body! you just have to keep up with it till it balances out!
  • Nimue108
    Nimue108 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    On Mondays I do a body sculpting class that consists of different upper and lower body weight training as well as cardio. On Tuesdays I do a step aerobics class and Thursdays I do cardio kickboxing. I am starting to tone my lower half, but I have this layer of jiggle and so I am trying to lose it. I do squats and lunges in each of my classes as well as jog at least a mile. I am going to start jogging a 5K trail near my office, but I worry that will add to the boneyness on top and since I have tiny boobs it is REALLy obvious.
  • Nimue108
    Options
    If it is just a matter of time then I won't change anything and just try to wait it out. I also enjoy all my workouts so it is not really hard for me to keep going.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This is natural. Check out this article.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/303582-why-is-belly-fat-the-last-to-go/

The key part is below. It also talks about spot reduction like sit ups for belly fat is a myth.

"Body fat is often deposited in one area first. Fat deposition is generally gender specific; males deposit fat first in the abdominal area, whereas females generally gain first in the hips and thighs. There is also a great deal of individual variation. However, as a rule, while subcutaneous fat is lost from over the entire body, it is preferentially deposited at one site first. When the excess fat is lost through diet or exercise, the first place to have gained appears to be the last place to lose."
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Something I have noticed is that as I lose weight different parts of me get smaller at different times. So I would anticipate that your lower body will catch up with your upper body.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    There is not a whole lot you can do to change where you lose weight from. However, I would recommend trying new or varied classes and workouts. I find that I get the best overall results when I do a variety of different workouts.
  • Nimue108
    Options
    Yeah, I understand that spot reduction is a myth. I aim to get an all over tone, and so I try to work everything equally. I guess I just need to keep it up and expect my *kitten* to get in gear (literally, lol). Thank you all so much for the information and support, it has really put my mind at ease.