Frustrated at the gym and waiting.

Options
124»

Replies

• jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would have went over to the guy who jumped on it and told him that I was waiting for that machine and then tell him that he can work in his sets in between yours.

LOL, I like that!
    If you're not comfortable asking to work in, a decent alternative is to ask "How many sets do you have left?" They get the idea that you're waiting for the machine and will either limit the screwing around or ask you to work in anyway.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    you don't have to run and dash and place hands upon the equipment first. that would make you look like a crazy person. just point at the machine and say calmly "I was waiting for that". 90% of the time the line jumper will apologize, get up, and take off any weight they put on the machine. 9% of the time they will ask if it's okay if they work in (I am pro working in and always say yes but it's your call). 1% of the time they will pull out a Bowie knife and stab you to death and kill as many people in the gym as the can before the cops show up and blast them.

just kidding. there is no 1%. so stop ranting on the internet and speak up for yourself.

This is why I always bring my .45 with me to the gym. Tucked into my custom-made compression shorts of course.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Watch him stand up and directly watch him the pressure of knowing your waiting will encourage him to speed up and move on!!!

I find it incredibly frustrating too. And quite often leave the gym without finishing because I cannot be *kitten* to wait!! Or people use extremely high weights then take ridiculously long to recover do another two reps then take another five minute break!! It's really annoying because its holding others up and completely pointless!!! Xx

i would advise against this one. when people just sit there and stare at me I get pissed off....

of course I do not screw around for 10 minutes doing nothing..but when people just stand there with that "I am waiting" attitude I almost want to take longer on purpose...
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    My problem is, I get a bit shy. Going up to a stranger and asking to join them is like my idea of hell LOL.

That's really your problem not his. He can't read your mind.

Never said it was his problem did I? Still doesn't stop it being frustrating when someone hogs a machine without thinking or taking notice of the several signs dotted about the gym.

i can sympathize with you. i'm not one to go up to someone and say can i work in with you or tell them to hurry the F up so yes it's very annoying. you're at a gym not your own personal home have some respect for others that are there as well. you pay for your membership just like he does however i'm sure when you join they talk about not dilly dallying on the machines and wiping them down, etc. all the gym "rules" seem to fall out of the space between some folks ears after they sign their membership agreement.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you don't have to run and dash and place hands upon the equipment first. that would make you look like a crazy person. just point at the machine and say calmly "I was waiting for that". 90% of the time the line jumper will apologize, get up, and take off any weight they put on the machine. 9% of the time they will ask if it's okay if they work in (I am pro working in and always say yes but it's your call). 1% of the time they will pull out a Bowie knife and stab you to death and kill as many people in the gym as the can before the cops show up and blast them.

just kidding. there is no 1%. so stop ranting on the internet and speak up for yourself.

This is why I always bring my .45 with me to the gym. Tucked into my custom-made compression shorts of course.

Not an option for the OP. She is from the UK. They suck at killing people over there. They tuck laver bread into their compression shorts. How the fk am I supposed to defend myself with laver bread?