A question on carbs

Options
grace42d
grace42d Posts: 156 Member
I am trying to increase the percentage of protein and decrease the percentage of carbs in my diet. I am also working on increasing my fruits and veggies. I have been eating a ton of fruit and veggies and almost no bread, cereal, crackers, pasta, etc. yet my food diary still says I am at 50% or more carbs. How do I eat to change this ratio?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Eat less fruit, eat more protein
  • grace42d
    Options
    Wow, i never knew that bananas were a carb! I just read some information on the glycemic index which explains carbs differently. I am still a bit foggy, but will switch out some fruits for veggies and try to figure out how to add protein with no meat.
  • 1jobean
    1jobean Posts: 84
    Options
    There is a difference in how your body processes carbs depending on what kind they are. You should probably research them. Bananas arent going to make you fat but croissants will. I pretty much only eat carbs and I dont eat meat or dairy. Basic rule of thumb if you can grow it, it wasnt refined, and you eat it without frying it, its healthy.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    There is a difference in how your body processes carbs depending on what kind they are. You should probably research them. Bananas arent going to make you fat but croissants will. I pretty much only eat carbs and I dont eat meat or dairy. Basic rule of thumb if you can grow it, it wasnt refined, and you eat it without frying it, its healthy.
    ^^^ 100% unrefined bullsh!t

Certain foods don't make you fat. A calorie surplus does. I eat pizza, ice cream, crepes, chocolate, etc. and lose weight because I keep a calorie deficit.
  • 1jobean
    Options
    True calorie surplus will make you fat however try to eat a whole food plant based diet and gain fat. And you could be more polite.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    True calorie surplus will make you fat however try to eat a whole food plant based diet and gain fat. And you could be more polite.
    I could definitely get fat off of a whole food plant based diet. I could get fat from eating nothing but fruit. I could easily eat an entire large watermelon (~1600 calories) and 20 large bananas (~2400 calories) in one sitting. That's 4000 calories right there!

Also, I'm not a polite person. I go by facts and disregard emotions most of the time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with JSRG.

On a side note, anything that grew in the ground is going to be all or at least mostly carbs. Anything that walked on the ground (or swam or flew) is going to be all or mostly protein.
  • 1jobean
    Options
    I believe if you ate that much fruit in one setting your body would naturally dispose of it very quickly. That said I dont think you could eat like that enough to gain fat. But feel free to prove me wrong.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Agree, if you really want to cut back on carbs then continue to keep grains out of your diet, be careful with your fruit intake, and keep eating lots of leafy green veggies and protein and fats. Within the veggie world, be careful with starchy veggies like carrots, corn, potatoes, stuff like that. That's not to say never eat them, but just make sure to work them into your day appropriately as they'll have more carbs than other veggies. Also, be careful with your dairy - things like milk and yogurt can have a lot of milk sugars (carbs) in them as well.

All that said, there's no NEED to reduce/limit carbs in your diet (barring medical reasons, of course). Some people choose to do that (myself included), and that's totally fine if that's an eating style that you think you can sustain and it's going to help you meet your daily calorie goals (which is what it really is for me - keeping high-carb foods out of my diet just allows me more room for more filling foods, and I'm far more satisfied during and at the end of the day when more of my food volume comes from protein, fats, and veggies). But your calorie deficit is the #1 most important thing to meet. Macros and such are important but secondary to that.

(Edited to fix a small typo that was making me crazy, haha.)
  • mavsteriom
    Options
    BarbieAS - a sensible, informative reply. Well done.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Wow, i never knew that bananas were a carb! I just read some information on the glycemic index which explains carbs differently. I am still a bit foggy, but will switch out some fruits for veggies and try to figure out how to add protein with no meat.

Why no meat? Vegetarian?
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so we can take a look, I eat very little friut per day , sugar carbs...
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I believe if you ate that much fruit in one setting your body would naturally dispose of it very quickly. That said I dont think you could eat like that enough to gain fat. But feel free to prove me wrong.

If the cals aren't burnt they will be stored as fat. It's as simple as that.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said - eat more protein and less fruit. I looked at your profile and your weight is 115 and your goal weight is 99 pounds? How tall are you? Why are you limiting carbs, bread, pasta?
  • grace42d
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. I have tried to incorporate meat into my diet, but it just doesn't make me feel well. I will eat fish and eggs. My food diary is open now. Constructive comments would be great.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. I have tried to incorporate meat into my diet, but it just doesn't make me feel well. I will eat fish and eggs. My food diary is open now. Constructive comments would be great.

I only looked through a week or so of your diary, but your macros could definitely use some more attention. Swap out some of the fruit/veggies for dairy and fish. Lots of good stuff in things like milk, cheese and fish, including the fats.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    ^^^ 100% unrefined bullsh!t

Certain foods don't make you fat. A calorie surplus does. I eat pizza, ice cream, crepes, chocolate, etc. and lose weight because I keep a calorie deficit.

^This. I like you. :flowerforyou:

ALLTHECARBS_zps89494765.jpg
  • 1jobean
    Options
    I agree calories that arent burnt will be stored as fat. I was just trying to say that carbs arent bad, you dont have to limit them if you are eating the right ones. Im on a whole food plant based diet and I find it practically impossible to eat enough to gain weight. I know its possible to eat enough fruit, beans, whole grains, and veggies to gain weight. However, I think it would be difficult to maintain eating at a surplus this way for an extended period of time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

If it's not protein or fat, it's a carb...anything with sugar is a carb. Fruit is a carb...veggies are carbs...legumes (while providing some protein) are largely carbs...obviously grains, pastas, etc are carbs.

Honestly, it's very difficult to go low carb when you're a vegetarian. I concur with jacksonpt that if you want to reduce your carbs and up your protein, you're going to have to do a lot more dairy, eggs, fish, etc and cut back on the fruits and veg.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I agree calories that arent burnt will be stored as fat. I was just trying to say that carbs arent bad, you dont have to limit them if you are eating the right ones. Im on a whole food plant based diet and I find it practically impossible to eat enough to gain weight. I know its possible to eat enough fruit, beans, whole grains, and veggies to gain weight. However, I think it would be difficult to maintain eating at a surplus this way for an extended period of time.

Calorie sparse foods (is that the opposite of calorie dense foods?) are going to be "harder" to gain weigh off of because they require so much more volume to equal the same total calories... but cals in vs cals out works the same way regardless of the type of calorie. IME, people with bad eating habits will find a way to overeat regardless.