A queston for ladies who use the barbell

Options
I started doing deadlifts a few weeks ago and after a few times going II started getting callouses on my hands so bought some gloves.

I am quite a self-conscious person and I end up feeling all embarrassed when little old me goes to the barbell and put on my gloves like some hardcore heavy weight-lifter. I heard one guy laugh and as I looked up he he said "Hands getting f**ked?" and I just smiled, he came over and showed me his gloves and laughed and said "When you start proper lifting you will be pleased you got them, look at the state of my gloves, that would have been my hands!"

After that comment it has made me feel so much more embarrassed, I know I am probably reading too much in to it, but it was the "when you start PROPER lifting" like he must have though "silly female try to lift" LOL.

SO, ladies, do you wear gloves, were you self-conscious about it, or did you just forget about everyone else? How do you manage being down with all the men?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sorry that dude was sort of douchey. Maybe he meant after you started adding more lifts? (in addition to the deadlift, that is)

Most guys are too excited to see a woman in the free weights section to make a comment like that. All of the men that I have encountered have been very helpful and encouraging.

I don't wear gloves, because I don't like the feel of them. But, it's personal preference. If you want to wear them, feel free to do so without shame :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Yep, I wear gloves. And I don't even remotely care what people think of me. I bet they giggle seeing me do lateral raises wearing gloves with my little 10 pound weights, but I need them when I'm doing walking lunges or step-ups holding 30+ pound dumbbells and deadlifting.

Don't read too much into the "proper lifting" comment. It's probably clear to him that you're a new lifter, and I think he was giving you encouragement for your goals...and he was probably flirting with you too. I doubt he was mocking you, and even if he was?

Who cares? You ARE a newer lifter. You do your thing. Do it in a way that works for you. Wear your gloves, lift your weights, and own your space.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Please please please dont let that put you off.
    The man was an idiot and having a vain moment.
    In all honesty, he is a douche for comparing himself to a woman and getting all high and mighty about it. Seriously?!

Another thing, please continue to wear gloves because the chances of getting callouses are super high.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If you need to wear them, do it.

I don't think he thought he was being mean, least he spoke to you about it and shared his own experience. Could have been worse he could have just sat talking about you and laughing with his friends.

Carry on your doing it great
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I don't wear gloves and I have the toughest, thick callouses. Not only where my fingers connect to the rest of my hand, but I have a second row about an inch below those and on the inside of my thumb because I use a hook grip and have long fingers. I don't think they're gross. I think they're useful. I can climb trees, fences, etc. like a monkey and grip just about anything. Callouses develop for a reason, to protect your hands and reduce pain. I just rock 'em.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've worn gloves as long as I've been lifting. No one has ever said anything criticial to me at the gym about anything, but then again I'm the type that could really give a crap what 99.9% of people say or think....
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about what other people think when I'm at the gym, unless I've just done something dumb like trip over my own feet. But lifting things? That's not dumb.

It helps to interpret things in the best possible light. He could have meant doing more lifts, or heavier weight, or more reps, or just misspoke, and meant that NOW that you were doing proper lifting you'd be happy to have them. Or he could have been a douche. Pick the one that makes you happiest.

I don't use gloves because I don't like them, but I do use straps, which look even sillier when you're lifting something other people would think of as light. But they're my hands, so it's not really anyone else's business.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves. Pink ones to be exact and I couldn't care less what any one thinks about it. Go ahead and tell me that I'm a sissy for using gloves. I could probably drop you faster than a hot potato. :smile:

Honestly though I've never had anyone say anything negative to me at the gym. It's quite the opposite. When guys see how heavy I'm lifting they usually tell my husband to behave LOL.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Oh.. I love my hot pink and black gloves and have never gotten any grief over them.... I think they are hot
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't wear gloves, but I think the bigger issue here is that guy picking on you. I'm a small person so my "heavy" looks like no big deal to some dude who is 6'5" 200+. But I've been lifting for 8 years now and no one has ever picked on me. It's sad but as a lady in the weight room you gotta cultivate that "don't talk to me" vibe or you will get pestered. Use good weight room etiqutte, have a plan and don't loiter and those meatheads will back off.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't wear gloves. Not because I think I'm not hardcore enough to need them, but because I don't give a *kitten* about callouses. If you don't want callouses, wear gloves. Even lifting just the bar would give you callouses. If I was ripping open my callouses on a regular basis or cared, I would totally rock some gloves. (I lift at home, though, so only my judgemental cats would make comment.s I'm sure my kid and dog wouldn't care. ;))

It seems that maybe he was trying to give you a compliment, but came out extra douchey. I'm not sure. You just gotta do what works for you and keep lifting! Gloves or no!
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you are reading into it. Dude was definitely flirting with you, because he's observed you enough to know that you've been there before without gloves and now you have gloves. That was his opening line to talk to you. The proper lifting was probably just him talking out his butt because he was nervous about talking to you. he probably went home and started mentally kicking him going "Omg I told her she wasn't proper lifting, I'm such a tool!"

I've used gloves with 15 lb hand weights. It doesn't matter. You do what you have to do for you, and don't feel self conscious. Feel hot.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm betting he was actually impressed to see a lady lifting weights! Based on the rest of his conversation with you, I'd say he was trying to be friendly.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I need to get a pair. I'm starting to get calluses. Better to be embarrassed about gloves rather than huge callouses.
  • jwoww81
    jwoww81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Who cares? You ARE a newer lifter. You do your thing. Do it in a way that works for you. Wear your gloves, lift your weights, and own your space.

My thoughts exactly. I also use my gloves because i don't wanna touch the same bar a sweaty person has touched male or female. Not to mention a lady should not have ratchet hands!
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies.

I definitely prefer the idea of him flirting rather than being an *kitten*... Not that I fancied him (I am married too) but it is an altogether nicer feeling thinking someone is flirting with you, rather than someone laughing at you.

A lot of the guys there are nice and smile and say hello. Plus, the only ladies I have ever seen down there don't use the barbell and the trainers there have said I am the only girl they know that uses it, so it must be a bit strange for them... Especially as I am only 5ft2 and 122lbs, it must look funny.

I just need to get a bit more confident down there. I have only been going to that part of the gym for about 3-4 weeks. I will get over it, eventually. Whenever I am getting silly, I will have to read this thread :)
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I use gloves, i find they keep me focused on what i want to get done, were as without them i found 'flounce off' and do treadmill

I dont think he was being a douche, i think he was trying to flirt with you.

Men in the weight training rooms are relatively friendly, One came over and asked did i want to use his weights when i was thinking of weight selection, the ones he offered where heavier than the ones i had.

its almost like getting offered a seat on a busy bus cause you're a 'lady'.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Totally think he was just trying to be friendly or flirting. I think he was just saying you were smart to get gloves because they helped him. The proper lifting comment could even be taken as more of a statement that you have now entered the new realm of lifting gloves and all. I guess I choose to think people are trying to be nice. I say stupid stuff all the time and hope people realize I am trying to be nice but it may not always come out smoothly. Have fun lifting and keeping your hands callous free.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i'm just gonna say i'd bet money he wanted to flirt with you. if you need to use them, just do it. if someone approaches you about it and makes you uncomfortable, you're entitled to give them a frosty look and turn back to your lifting.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you are reading into it. Dude was definitely flirting with you, because he's observed you enough to know that you've been there before without gloves and now you have gloves. That was his opening line to talk to you. The proper lifting was probably just him talking out his butt because he was nervous about talking to you. he probably went home and started mentally kicking him going "Omg I told her she wasn't proper lifting, I'm such a tool!"

I've used gloves with 15 lb hand weights. It doesn't matter. You do what you have to do for you, and don't feel self conscious. Feel hot.
    ^^^ This!