Do you use a food scale?

Options

Replies

• KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I use one all the time. Mainly for measuring meats and pasta and occasionally veggies.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Food scale was worth every penny. Worth. Every. Penny.
  • mrshayes1584
    Options
    Only when I can't find another way to log my food. I find that I usually have to use it for meat but I do try to avoid it. If i have to estimate I just log it for a little more than what I think it is, that way my calories may be lower than I logged rather than higher.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale for EVERYTHING. You use it to, well, measure your food. For example: 1 oz of cheese, 3 oz. of carrots, 4 oz. of pork etc. etc. You will be surprised at how easy it is to overestimate the serving size of foods. I've gotten good at eyeballing items but I still throw them on the scale to double check.

^^This. A Food scale has been one of my best/favourite investments!
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would SO over eat if I did not.
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    I love mine and use it for meats, cheeses and salty snacks. I would be totally underestimating calories without measuring. I'm very lazy and it started out a hassle, but now it's second nature and doesn't take long at all.

I always used measuring spoons for peanut butter and mayo. I noticed reading this thread that those aren't as accurate. I will start to weigh everything now for comparison. That was a helpful tidbit of knowledge for today!!
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use a digital scale for just about everything that isn't sold in s weighed portion.
    Got a shock when I weighed my "portion" of cereal only to find that my idea of portion was almost 3 times more than I had been accounting for.

Weighing is just second nature, and it makes bulk recipes and portioning so much more accurate.

Invest in.the food scale and see results in your body scale.
    :drinker:
  • It is a necessary tool for success
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    i am nothing without my food scale. literally.
    they say abs are built in the kitchen...well, the kitchen is where people go wrong mostly..not the gym. ever since getting a food scale, i have been on point with my fitness/caloric goals and the results soon became obvious.
    people have called me obsessed before for weighing out everything....but thats probably what separates my physique from theirs....and after a while, you start to get a good idea of serving sizes and eye balling becomes a walk in the park.
    like someone posted earlier: worth.every.penny.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I do for a lot of things. I was surprised to find that I had been over and under estimating a lot of things. It's nice to have the right info on just how much I'm actually eating so I know it's logged correctly.
    [/quote

This.
  • Lauren06880
    Lauren06880 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Religiously! Along with tracking it's the only sure weigh (lol) to make sure that you're not eating more than the correct portion size. I have one at home and one in the office. I even weigh my dog's food to keep her trim and lean (she doesn't eat "real dog food").
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale for EVERYTHING. You use it to, well, measure your food. For example: 1 oz of cheese, 3 oz. of carrots, 4 oz. of pork etc. etc. You will be surprised at how easy it is to overestimate the serving size of foods. I've gotten good at eyeballing items but I still throw them on the scale to double check.

<This> A weigh scale is a must for anyone wanting to keep proper track of their calories. It's one of two things I wouldn't be without on this weight loss journey, the other is my HRM. Add in using the Nutritional Facts from packaging & you're good to go!:flowerforyou:
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I love my digital food scale. It's so much easier to use and clean up than measuring cups (and more accurate too). It helps me make sure I'm getting enough protein and not too much of things like peanut butter or cheese. I especially love using it for making my protein smoothies; just put the blender container on the scale and tare between each ingredient. It doesn't take long at all.
  • mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I most definitely use a food scale all the time.

You'll be surprised in the difference when you pour 1 measuring cup of cereal to actually weighing out 28grams.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    My digital food scale cost me about $15 and it is worth its weight in gold. I weigh pasta, meats, breads, goldfish (the snack crackers!)... whatever. It opened my eyes big time.

I also use measuring cups and spoons. Before I was measuring my condiments, I was actually OVERestimating the amount I was using, so I was charging myself extra calories.

I don't have a ton of fancy kitchen gadgets; these things were inexpensive but they have been vital to my success because they help me accurately portion and log my intake.
  • apcross13
    apcross13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use mine for almost everything. Several posters indicated that they would hate to use one, and they are successful w/o one. Say more power to them! However, since OP is in a slump at the moment, portion creep/inaccurate estimation is a very likely culprit. As others have said, scale measuring is more accurate than volume, and as long as you have a digital scale with a tare function, it couldn't be easier. I just place my serving bowl/plate on the scale instead of the counter when I pour cereal or whatever I am eating.

It is an easy way to be sure you are accurate.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

^^^THIS^^^ It is much more accurate especially on high calorie stuff. If you look on food packages, most of them actually have the serving size listed 2 ways-volume (tsp, cup, etc.) and weight in grams.

Great example is protein powder-it says 1 scoop is 38 grams. Well, a level scoop is less than that, so if you're counting on the protein in a whole scoop, after a few weeks-you are getting less than you wanted. On the other side of the equation is something like crackers or chips. It usually gives a serving as 11 chips (or whatever) and grams or ounces. What do you do with partial chips? Eat a couple of those and count them as 1 chip? It sounds silly, but if you are over by a few grams over the course of a couple of weeks-it adds up.

I use a scales to get all I have coming to me!
  • DAMETRE
    DAMETRE Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just to speak for the loyal opposition, I have never used a scale and never plan to. I have no trouble staying within my limits and find the idea of weighing everything I eat to be just plain horrid. It would take all the joy out of eating for me. It's just too legalistic for me. If you must use a scale, that's up to you, but I am proof that it absolutely not a must.

^^^^^ This. I totally agree. I never use a scale and never plan to use one. It would also take all the joy out of eating for me. I am making a life style change and I definatly won't use a scale to measure food the rest of my life. I am not knocking the scale. You do what is write for you. I am loosing just fine. If I over or under estimate something It all works out in the end. Eat right
    and exercise.:smile:
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Nope, never.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Exactly like others have said, it is amazing after you get a food scale the difference in serving sizes especially in meats!