Gym Phobia

Options

Replies

• ALY2380
    ALY2380 Posts: 29
    Options
    I did...and then I stopped caring what I THOUGHT people were going to think. Everyone is there for the same reason. I had to get out of my head and just get in there. Now, I can't imagine NOT going at least a few times a week.

THIS is what I know I need to do & I'm glad people can relate & that people have overcome their fears. I'm trying to get into a routine at home, but have you ever tried using a treadmill when your dog thinks its fun to put her toys on there b/c they go flying off the end or doing a DVD w/ a 70 lb dog trying to "play" along?! It doesn't make for the most productive workouts.
    I just became active on this site this week & seeing the workouts other people are logging is whats pushing me to reconsider my gym phobia. I suppose it really comes down to either being uncomfortable at the gym or forever being uncomfortable in my own body.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Workout at home, that's what I do.
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I quit the gym when I got a bad case of flu/strep, which my physician said probably came from my gym since several people were overheard coughing (sounded like a lung from one guy) while working out. Now I workout at home and only my breath or the dogs is what I breathe. :laugh:
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The first time I walked in to take a look around I was very nervous but decided I didn't want to break my neck walking on icy streets so it was my only option. The second time I walked in, just to use the treadmill, I was so nervous I almost went back to the car and headed home. Now, I walk in and LOVE it. No one cares what others are doing and I have found some of the early morning regulars were very helpful in explaining how other equipment works and I appreciated their comments when they noticed I had lost weight.. If you truly can't do it, then work out at home, with the money you don't spend on gym memberships you could spend on additional equipment for your home.
  • juliabw33
    Options
    I hate the gym also. I started working out about 2 weeks ago and I have only missed one day so far. I go at times when I know it will be less packed. I tried working out at home but unfortunately home is where my couch is located and I would feel free to skip the workout video and sit on my butt. Now I force myself to go to gym because people ARE looking at me which means I can't be a wuss and stop after 15 minutes on the elliptical when i'm about to die! You can do it!!
  • griffga1
    griffga1 Posts: 31
    Options
    I've never been on a machine at my Y, but absolutely love the classes. All shapes and sizes, doing what they can, and everyone is proud of everyone's accomplishments in the classes. People are friendly, and I think over time you can make some good friends there. I take the zumba, BodyCombat, and Power Yoga classes. Would love to take more but these are the only ones that fit into my schedule. You should try going for free for a week, that way there is no commitment.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've had two different gym memberships & can probably count on my fingers how many times I actually went to the gym. You'd think getting myself to work out in front of strangers would be easy, I mean no one knows me, but I've seriously had times before where I got the parking lot and never went in. I have a friend who wants me to join the YMCA with her & I know there really is no GOOD reason not to, but can anyone else out there relate to this fear of the gym?? Do you have a story to share on how you overcame your fears? Or even if you want to tell me to shut up & get over my fear, I'd love to hear it all. I'm new to MFP & will take any kind of support/motivation I can get :smile:

i had panic attacks before going to the gym almost 80% of the time last year. i would sit in my car and take deep breaths until i could muster the will to actually go in. it helped me to have my music on and headphones in. so- i could block out the outside world. i am almost over my panic attacks but i still have them every now and then. sorry hun. you are not alone.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    One thing that encouraged me to go to the gym more was that mine has a 'ladies only' section (even then I was self concious, and that section is pretty quiet), maybe you could find a gym that offers that? Workout classes are great too, I find the people at my gym friendly so soon overcame my self-consciousness.
    If it really comes down to it, there are a lot of great at home work-out videos - I recommend Jillian Michael vids :)
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Maybe your phobia is an excuse not to workout and you haven't realized it? Didn't read whole post, but if you are working out somewhere else, nvm what I said :D
  • muziclver
    muziclver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was the exact same way. I recently started "sucking it up' and going to the gym about last week or so. I started going to the YMCA around 7:30 - 8 when there was hardly anyone in there. Try not to look at anyone. They honestly don't look at you, you are just making it much harder than it needs to be on yourself. The hardest part is walking in. After you get started, it's super easy (:
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have wasted lots of money over the years on gym memberships that I didn't use. I do have occasional anxiety issues, but never about the gym -- my issues with the gym were solely about motivation.

It sounds dumb, but what changed it for me was listening to a radio program, and they were interviewing some health professional about the many benefits of working out, and I was mostly ignoring it as stuff I already knew. But at some point, she said something about defining yourself as "someone who is healthy -- someone who works out -- just make it part of who you are." I guess I was ready to hear it at that point, and I've been going regularly ever since. (November 2012)

I also started doing Stronglifts, which a) I can't do at home, b) is making a huge difference in how I look, c) starts you off with really light weights, so you at least have a ready answer if anybody asks you about it (nobody notices/talks to me at the gym), d) is really short and simple, and easy to stick to. (Especially if you get the iPhone app!)

I do have some advantages -- a gym close to my work, a subsidized membership though work, a supportive spouse, no huge time pressures/other commitments, and a gym with plenty of equipment, so I rarely have to wait for anything.

For me personally, dealing with my anxiety has mostly been a matter of forcing myself to do things anyway. It's never as bad as I fear it's going to be. Of course, my anxiety is usually about being the centre of attention, which I hate, and that is absolutely not a problem when I go to the gym -- I'm completely nondescript, and I'm usually at the squat rack, which is a lonely place in many gyms.

Best of luck, and I hope this helped!
  • pvtnick
    pvtnick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you are really worried try to commit yourself to going once when they are mid busy. Too many people and its tough to get on the equipment and too empty and you may feel even more self conscious. Take your headphones and just focus on what you went to do. When you leave you may notice that you may not have noticed any one person for more than a couple seconds and promptly forgot about them. That's exactly how they feel about you. After a few seconds you cease to exist to them.
  • ALY2380
    Options
    I hate the gym also. I started working out about 2 weeks ago and I have only missed one day so far. I go at times when I know it will be less packed. I tried working out at home but unfortunately home is where my couch is located and I would feel free to skip the workout video and sit on my butt. Now I force myself to go to gym because people ARE looking at me which means I can't be a wuss and stop after 15 minutes on the elliptical when i'm about to die! You can do it!!

I never thought of it that way before!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Shut up and get over it. LOL.

Seriously tho no one is looking at you unless your boobs are hanging out and even then maybe not because most of us gym rats are consumed with our ownselves when at the gym.

Put in some earbuds and jam out as if no one is watching because honestly no one probably is
  • celticmedic
    celticmedic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I started working out, I had a fear of being ridiculed at the gym. I was 500 pounds, and going to the gym there was all the good looking fit people in there. I had to just face the fact that everyone in there is trying to achieve the same things. Once I started, I was amazed how many people were supportive and motivational in my goals. I no longer care what people think about me in a gym. Mainly because I am there for myself, and no one else.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    When I started going to the gym in August I had 165 pounds to lose, and I'm over 50 - so I was very intimidated. I was the fat grandma among the buff college kids (I live in a community where a university is a very strong presence). I'm pretty shy by nature as well so the first few times going were difficult. A few things helped me:

I went to Zumba and realized that the peer pressure of being in a class pushed me to keep going past the point that I would have quit if on my own. I needed to be there.

I got a personal trainer for a few introductory sessions to teach me the ropes. I ended up liking this enough to later sign up for a package of 50 sessions with him ( a one year commitment that cost enough that there is no way I'm going to waste my investment). The trainer pushes me as well, and if I weren't a person who needed pushing I wouldn't be fat in the first place. He gives me a workout every week, then I do the workout on my own every other day until our next session together. This gives me direction so I know what I'm doing when I'm at the gym.

One day early on when I was walking on the treadmill I looked at all the other people in the gym and had an epiphany: why on earth should I be embarrassed? I should be PROUD - I'm doing something about my weight issues. Sitting on my butt eating cookie dough is what I should be embarrassed about.....definitely not being in the gym working to improve my health and my appearance.

Don't cheat yourself because of what you imagine some STRANGER might be thinking. It's not about them - it's about doing what is right for YOU.
  • Just_Alyssa
    Just_Alyssa Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm don't have advice... just empathy... I wrote a post earlier asking for some help.. You are NOT alone.

I too have issues getting to the gym. And i do pay for an expensive membership. But it's so much easier/safer to get on my treadmill at home. It's not about being gross & sweaty looking, it's part lazy-getting-out-my-house and that I don't know what I'm doing unless I'm in a class with someone telling me what to do.

Maybe if find a class you like, you can make your friend go with you that way you have someone relying on you? I'm thinking of getting a trainer just for a couple times so I can 1. have someone relying on me 2. someone to tell me what to do and then I won't be uncomfortable later.

Good luck! I'm know if we just suck it up and start, it will get easier. Just say to yourself that this time it will be THE time you do it.
  • ALY2380
    Options
    Shut up and get over it. LOL.

I needed to hear that too :happy:
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was like that. I joined a gym 3 different times, and went a couple of times each. I never did classes. I just did the treadmill or eliptical and felt totally self conscious the whole time.

This time, I went to a new gym and took the time to sit down with a staff member who helped me go over my goals and showed me how to get to where I want to be. She also suggested taking group classes, which I laughed off because I always said I would NEVER EVER set foot in a class! If I was self conscious on a treadmill, imagine a small room full of people!!

Well, one day, that staff member convinced me to take one of her classes, a small spin class with 8 other people. I never looked back after that. Now, I ONLY do classes. They are great because once you get used to it, usually there are regular people who go to each class and you get to know them and realize that no one cares what you are doing, unless they are trying to help you.

I go to an all ladies gym, always have, that definitely helps with MY gym phobia. I tell everyone I know, though, to do CLASSES!
  • anhellica2001
    anhellica2001 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I prefer to stay away from the gym. If you feel more comfortable at home then go for it. I mostly do walks around my neighborhood and some yoga or pilates in the convenience of my room. :blushing: