Craving for bread

Options
jc1961AA
jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
Bread is my big downfall, could eat tonnes of it (I am talking about nice crusty bread, with nuts/walnuts/sundried tomatoes etc). For the past 3.5 weeks I am only eating 2 slices of granary toasted bread for my breakfast. But I was wondering is anybody had a "healthy" recipe, I have got a bread maker machine, so mixing the dough would not be a problem. So if any of guys has a great recipe, please share it!
Thanks
JC

Replies

• howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the book "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes A Day". No bread machine required, awesome bread recipes, including a wonderful crusty sour dough type bread which only has 4 ingredients: water, flour, yeast and salt. By far the best bread I have ever eaten.

Here's the recipe:

7 c unbleached white flour
    2 c whole wheat flour
    2 T yeast
    2 T salt
    4 1/4 c water (warm not hot)

Pour water into large lidded plastic container. Sprinkle in yeast and salt. Use level measures of flour (scoop and level, do not shake) and add to water mix. Stir with heavy mixer or use your hands till all flour is incorporated. Let sit, covered (but not air tight), on counter for 2 hours. Refrigerate overnight (or at least two hours). Makes 4 loaves. Sprinkle surface of about one loaf with flour, remove from container and shape into loaf. Surface should be smooth. Do not knead, just wrap surface around to bottom several times until smooth and uniform (takes about 1 minute). Let raise on baking sheet covered in cornmeal for 40min. Heat oven to 375 F. Oven must be hot before putting bread in. Slice top of loaf in 3-4 places. Place a baking dish containing water in oven, and place baking sheet with loaf in oven. Bake 35min or till crust is deeply browned. Remove to cool on baking rack.

Balance of dough can be kept in lidded container in fridge for up to two weeks, and baked as required.

White/whole wheat flour mix can be varied, but more whole wheat/less white requires an increase in the water content, so you can experiement with that.

Hope that is helpful.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    What's so unhealthy about regular bread?

I'm a big fan of sourdough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/how_to_make_sourdough_08213
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Gosh then just eat bread! Ezekiel 4:9 that is. Genesis bread is good too I have been told.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    So eat bread?

What I really want to know is why did you Photoshop you in snow, without any pants on??
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Bread is my big downfall, could eat tonnes of it (I am talking about nice crusty bread, with nuts/walnuts/sundried tomatoes etc). For the past 3.5 weeks I am only eating 2 slices of granary toasted bread for my breakfast. But I was wondering is anybody had a "healthy" recipe, I have got a bread maker machine, so mixing the dough would not be a problem. So if any of guys has a great recipe, please share it!
    Thanks
    JC

Bread isn't healthful no matter what you do to it. If you find that you feel addicted to bread, (as I do) it is really best not to eat it.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks
    JC

Bread isn't healthful no matter what you do to it. If you find that you feel addicted to bread, (as I do) it is really best not to eat it.

Why?
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the book "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes A Day". No bread machine required, awesome bread recipes, including a wonderful crusty sour dough type bread which only has 4 ingredients: water, flour, yeast and salt. By far the best bread I have ever eaten.

White/whole wheat flour mix can be varied, but more whole wheat/less white requires an increase in the water content, so you can experiement with that.

Hope that is helpful.
    Thanks for that, I will give it a try. (EDIT I am having a look at the Bread in 5 website, that is a great site, thanks)
    Bread is not unhealthy as long as you eat it with moderation I guess, but I have been know to eat an entire baguette in one go, it is a bit like pringles, one I start I can't stop.

Picture in the snow is not photoshop :happy: That was just to make the kids laugh, I stopped short of rolling in it as it was just too painful
    JC