Advice for KT tape on Hamstring

Options
Okay everyone, I would like to know if there is anyone on MFP that has use KT tape for Hamstring injuries or issues. About 6 years ago I tore my ACL and had it reconstructed with part of my hamstring tissue. But ever since then, during vigorous activity, my hamstring becomes incredibly tight and won't function, and even goes into painful spasms, sometimes to where it is very difficult to walk. A co worker of mine, who has spine issues, said that her Physical therapist put some KT tape on her back to help and she has really noticed a difference. So I did some research, and really liked what I was reading, but I was having a hard time finding ratings and reviews for that particular area of the body. So my questiion, what was your experience with KT tape and how did it help ellivate your pain or problems? Any advice even if not for the hamstring would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Hi there-

I used KT tape when I ran the Boston Marathon, but I used it on my shins instead of my hamstrings.

I don't know the particular placement on hamstrings, but my advice to you would be to go to a sports massage place and have someone teach you how to apply it the first time. That way, you're having a trained person show you exactly what to do rather than guessing from what you see on youtube videos. It's relatively cheap to do this - I went in the city (Boston) and it was about $25.00.

I definitely would recommend the KT tape to increase bloodflow to the area, but I'm not sure about long-term treatment of injuries. I used it consistently for about a month and definitely felt like it made a difference, but I think the seriousness of your prior injury might lend itself to some time off or some professional treatment like further PT.

Either way, it can't hurt to give it a shot. I hope any of this helps!
  • aarikadanielle
    Options
    Yes that does help, thank you for your reply. I think it is worth a shot just to try to see if it will help relieve or even prevent the spasms from happening, during activity. It has really started to become a problem and hindering my strength training when working with my trainer. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and I will seek more professional help. But i would like to find a solution on my own before having to seek more help with this. Thanks again for your response :)
  • jerseyjenus
    jerseyjenus Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Did the KT Tape work for hamstring? I just pulled my hamstring on Monday and it is rather painful. I am applying ice for 20 mins every 3 hours but that doesn't seem to be helping anymore. Any advice would be much appreciated