How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    So, the scale hasn't moved this week but I am noticing a change in my body and can tell I'm gaining muscle so I'm figuring that's why but this morning I'm just kind of disappointed because the scale actually went up a pound from last week, I've been under or right at my calories not eating my exercise calories back and working out everyday but 1 and even on that rest day I still end up doing some strength. I'm thinking about switching my weigh ins from once a week to once every two weeks or even further apart than that because I want to rely on my body changing to show me I'm doing what I need to.

How often do you guys weigh in and did it help with your motivation to stretch out the amount of time between weighing in or not?? Thanks for your response! :-)

Sarah, have you measured at all? Sometimes the biggest gains aren't from the weight loss but the drop in inches around your waist or hips or the increase in your biceps and forearms.

I have measured and have seen changes in that and yes my arms did get an increase, I just need to be content with that :-)
  • BellaSpeer
    BellaSpeer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am curious about what I weigh. Definitely better than weighing in once a week on the same day like I was doing before. If I didn't get the results I wanted it would affect my mood and motivation. So far, whenever I get on the scale (whenever I decide to do it) I always feel good about the results.
    That's what I've been doing. I would get so disappointed on my weekly weigh-in day if it didn't show what I wanted. So I've stopped weighing in weekly and just decided when I feel like checking I should. I did that this morning and was pleasantly surprised to have lost 2 lbs. I've been working out once or twice daily, so I'm also taking into consideration muscle affecting what the scale says. Just keep at it, no matter what that silly scale says!
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    In general I go by the addage "The scale is a lying *kitten*". Basically your weight can fluctuate because of so many reasons its not even funny. However the goal is not a decrease in weight, it is a reduction in fat.

So if you start a more intense workout program, your weight is going to be up for a few weeks. If you have a high sodium day, your weight is going to go up.

I dont seriously look at it for about a month or so. However once I get set in my workout routine where I am not dealing with as much muscle gain I will look at it more often.

Your measurements and mirror are your best friend for this. Also remember sag is good when you are trying to lose weight. It means empty skin.....wish someone had told me that years ago.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    very rarely. I go by look and feel. Thats really all that matters.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    weighing is so motivating and demotivating !!!!
    So true! It goes both ways for me. Sometimes a bad reading will make me depressed so I won't workout or eat anything I want. The last weigh-in where I decided not to obsess over it I was so upset that I left the gym without working out and ate an entire box of Mike n Ikes. And sometimes it has the opposite effect where I get a good reading and I am demotivated. Like yesterday I got a good reading so I am not going to the gym today.
  • Heypapajinx
    Heypapajinx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning - it's a habit and part of my routine. The fluctuations in daily weight don't bother me, I'm fascinated that I can go up or down 2-3 lbs in a day, up and down during the week, and how it varies with water intake, sodium, hormones, workouts, etc.

I don't record my weight every day, only when it's dropped below whatever my last recorded weight was. I track my measurements about once a month.

Exact same routine. Exactly.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I weigh monthly as my mood can be adversely affected by the scale. As I am more likely to lose over the course of month all of my weigh-ins so far have been great! 16lbs down!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. xx
  • JewelSmith
    JewelSmith Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Saturday.