Does every step REALLY count?

Options
I am a working morther of 2 girls. I wake up at 5:30 in the am to start getting ready for my day. I have no time in the AM to work out. After work there is homework, supper, and time with my girls. after they go to bed at 8:30 I work on my second job ( on a website ).

To try and get SOME movement into my day. I jog up about 5 flights of stairs and then walk by down. I do this about 4 times a day. so it isn't much :/ But it is really all I can add.

is it even worth my time doing this or is it so little that it wont count?

Any tips on how I can add movement into my day would be appreciative!

Replies

• helmsara
    helmsara Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Every step does count. If you lead a sedentary lifestyle, you will be much less healthy than if you try to get more movement in everday. Stairs are a great start to a workout! Especially if you push yourself on them and try to do a couple sets in a row. You could get a stability ball to sit on while you work on the computer at night. You could incorporate some sort of workout during your time with your girls. I take my little guy to the park and I run a mile or two before we go play together. Even if you don't have the time right now for a "proper" workout, just trying to make moving more a habit in your life is great!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Park in the back of the parking lot when you go somewhere, if you are on the phone, pace as you talk, don't sit down during commercials, get up and walk a few hundred steps.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    ty for the reply!

I have a stability ball from when I was able to get some workouts in. I never thought of using it as my chair! will set that up! if anything it will help with core.

Once it is nice out ( it is still cold with snow here ) I will be taking the girls on walks after supper to the park for "our time". Winter just doesn't want to let up this year!
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I will park far away when I am not with my husband or kids. I do it with my kids when it is warmer out but it is still too cold yet. My husband is the type that will circle for the closest spot to the doors! drives me bonkers!
  • Smash323
    Smash323 Posts: 16
    Options
    I started wearing a pedometer when I started my fitness journey. The first two days I wore it, I walked 2,000 and 1,600 steps, respectively. I needed to see exactly how sedentary I was!

I initially set a goal of 5,000 steps a day, which is no longer considered sedentary (according to something I read on the interwebs -- so it must be true, right?!). I just needed a place to start so I could work on some new habits. Now I'm constantly moving. I get up several times a day and march in place or dance around. I consistently got to 5,000 steps a day and dropped 4 pounds from it.

Now I'm working on 5,500 steps a day.

All that is to say, I agree that every step really counts, and it's easy to find ways to get some extra steps in. I would also suggest using a pedometer to see how you're doing.

And yes, people think I'm doing the "pee pee dance," but I don't care! Everyone in my life knows what I'm trying to do, and they support me!