I take supplements. How about you?

Options
I take the following supplements twice a day (early morning and late afternoon) for my metabolism, energy, and general well being. I'm curious if anyone else takes supplements and would like to share...

Vitamin B1 (thiamine), Nature's Way, Vitamin B-1, 100mg, 100 Capsules
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), GNC, Vitamin B-2, 100mg, Tablets (I cut in half to 50mg)
Vitamin B3 (niacin or niacinamide), Nature's Way, Niacinamide, 500mg, 100 Capsules
Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), Nature's Way, Pantothenic Acid, 250mg, 100 Capsules
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine, pyridoxal, or pyridoxamine, or pyridoxine hydrochloride), Nature Made, Vitamin B-6, 50mg, Tablets
Vitamin B7 (biotin), Nature Made, Biotin, 2,500mcg, 180 Liquid Softgels
Vitamin B9 (folic acid), Nature Made, Folic Acid, 400mcg, 250 Tablets
Vitamin B12 (various cobalamins; commonly cyanocobalamin in vitamin supplements), Nature Made, Vitamin B-12, 1000mcg, 90 Liquid Softgels.

Chromium, Nature's Way, GTF Chromium, 200mcg, 100 Capsules
Acetyl L-Carnitine, Nature's Way, Acetyl L-Carnitine, 500mg, 60 Vegetarian Capsules
CoQ10, Nature's Way, CoQ10, 100mg, 30 Softgels
DHEA, Schiff Products, DHEA, 25mg, 60 tablets
Cinnamon, Nature's Way, Cinnamon Standardized, 120 Vegetarian Capsules
Green Tea, Nature's Way, Green Tea Standardized, 60 Vegetarian Capsules
Garlic, Nature's Way, Garlic Bulb, 100 Capsules
Potassium Glucconate, Nature Made, Potassium Gluconate, 550mg, 100 Tablets
Omega-3, Nature Made, Omega-3 Fish Oil 1200 mg (360 mg Omega-3), 375 Liquid Softgels

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I take the following supplements twice a day (early morning and late afternoon) for my metabolism, energy, and general well being. I'm curious if anyone else takes supplements and would like to share...

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), GNC, Vitamin B-2, 100mg, Tablets (I cut in half to 50mg)
    Vitamin B3 (niacin or niacinamide), Nature's Way, Niacinamide, 500mg, 100 Capsules
    Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), Nature's Way, Pantothenic Acid, 250mg, 100 Capsules
    Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine, pyridoxal, or pyridoxamine, or pyridoxine hydrochloride), Nature Made, Vitamin B-6, 50mg, Tablets
    Vitamin B12 (various cobalamins; commonly cyanocobalamin in vitamin supplements), Nature Made, Vitamin B-12, 1000mcg, 90 Liquid Softgels.

Acetyl L-Carnitine, Nature's Way, Acetyl L-Carnitine, 500mg, 60 Vegetarian Capsules
    Omega-3, Nature Made, Omega-3 Fish Oil 1200 mg (360 mg Omega-3), 375 Liquid Softgels

lots of stuff there and the B vitamin forms stink
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    To OP, I don't remember all the details of my past research but look into vitamin B and neurotoxicity.

ps I take a multivitamin and occasionally some fish oil. Low maintenance here :)
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I take a lot, my list has grown over the years as different issues cropped up. Sometimes when I see a doc, they'll roll their eyes a bit . I wish they'd just ask me why I take each one & how it helped me, because I only take things that help me. As far as the sources of the vitamins, everyone has their favorite brands that they consider the "BEST," but some may get good results w/other sources. The only one I use that I make a point of buying a particular brand for is Rexall Sundown's Osteo Bi-Flex Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM for my joints. Whenever I tried to use another brand, my joint pain would flare again. I'm glad that some people feel a particular brand REALLY works for them, but I hope people won't get rude if someone finds another brand works for them. People who are in tune w/their bodies can usually tell if something is working or not.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Wow. That's a hefty list. I don't take anything; I feel that if you have a reasonably healthy diet you can get the majority of what you need through food.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I take a Berocca every morning along with a combined magnesium, calcium and zinc tablet. I take chromium picolinate, Ecgc (green tea) and Alpha lipoic acid 30 mins before I eat and Mega Cissus before any high carb meal. All does some good!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I eat food.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I take a prescription weekly mega-dose of Vitamin D, as a recent routine blood test showed that I was severely deficient (too big of a gap to make up with food and sunshine, especially as far north as I live). And I take a fish oil capsule because I'm highly convinced of the health benefits of omega-3s and I don't feel I get enough in my diet. Other than that, I get my vitamins/minerals/nutrients from a balanced diet.
  • Elisastoll
    Elisastoll Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I also take several supplements daily:

CoQ10 - 100 mg
    Calcium with D - 1200 mg
    Cinnamon - 2 capsules
    One a Day Vitamin
    Fish Oil - 1200 mg
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what I should and shouldnt be taking. Help me out! ;):flowerforyou:
  • ICOZA7
    ICOZA7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Multi Vitamin
    Fish oil
    Yay.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    WOW... I take one B supplement very other day. Everyday I take two tables that are combined magnesium, calcium and vitamin D (as a woman in her 40's should). I alternate vitamin c, vitamin e, vitamin a, & fish oil. My doctor approved. I can't take a multi-vitamin; they make me sick & horribly hungry.
  • Lemonade2013
    Options

Wow, can you tell me how much this would cost on a monthly basis please?
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin with extra vitamin D, and a calcium because I am concerned about Osteoporosis. My maternal grandmother had it, twice she fractured her hip. The second time landed her in the nursing home because she couldn't recover from it and we couldn't afford around the clock home care. It was so sad to see her go down hill like that.
  • johnkernmusic
    johnkernmusic Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I take creatine.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yep I do.

Protein powder
    Benefiber
    Multivitamin
    Iron tablet (vegetarian here)
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You can solve that headache of all the B-vitamins that you take by using a liquid or powdered form multi-vitamin like Sport Formula. Better absorption and digestibility of vitamins than ANY tablet. It has all the B-vitamins and amounts that you need.

My supplements are split into a few categories; pre workout, post workout, daily.

Preworkout:
    Carbalean (Nutracore Nutrition)
    Aminocore IBCAAs (Nutracore Nutrition)
    Engaged preworkout (Nutracore Nutrition)
    Assist NOX - creatine nitrate (Nutracore Nutrition)
    Nitric Flood - N.O. booster (Nutracore Nutrition)

Post workout:
    Glutaplex - peptide bonded and chelated glutamine complex (Nutracore Nutrition)
    Isolate Complete - whey isolate protein with CLA + L-carnitine, antioxidants, and probiotic (Nutracore Nutrition)
    I also have some frozen mixed berries blended into that to make a nice smoothie.

Daily:
    Alkalinity Fuel multivitamin (Nutracore Nutrition) or Sport Formula
    Alkalinity CLA (Nutracore Nutrition)

If anyone has any questions on what they should take, please feel free to ask me via message! I own a nutrition store and I will go through my customers goals, workout routines, diets, and current body type in order to prescribe them EXACTLY what THEY NEED, nothing more, nothing less. Nutrition is not a one-fit-all approach and should not be taken that way like Advocare, Visalus, Beachbody, GNC, or Vitamin Shoppe approaches it. Everyone is different, has a different goal and body type and any "program" might work for one person, but might not be the best for another.
    This is what I do on a daily basis and is what I LOVE to do. I like helping people!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot of supplements. You must have expensive pee! :noway:

Anyway, I take estroven energy. It is to lessen the night sweats and hot flashes I have. It got rid of the night sweats 100%. It has done NOTHING for hot flashes.

I take a fiber supplement because I take meds for high blood pressure that 'could' make me constipated. I don't want that to happen. lol

I take a fish oil supplement, recommended by my eye Dr., for dry eyes. I can't say it's helped yet, but I'll keep taking it for the omega benefits.

For a month I took a vitamin blend, recommended by my PCP to boost my immunity. It did nothing, I still got sick and it still took longer than usual for me to get rid of the bugs. Waste of money.

I take a multi vitamin with extra calcium and vitamin D.
  • Beecher2019
    Beecher2019 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Calcium supplement
    Super HD for energy
    Ab Cuts for fat burn
    Whey Protein for lean
  • mschmalfuss
    mschmalfuss Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I take a generic version of Men's Centrum Silver, CoQ10, fish oil and extra calcium. The extra calcium is to help counter the prilosec I take daily since it reduces calcium absorption.

I usually feel pretty good with the coverage that gives. The rest I hope to get through reasonably healthy eating.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Why do you take this much stuff? It is deinfately not needed if you have a proper diet. Too many suppliements aren't a good thing. I couldn't imagine spending so much on suppliements as that many have to cost quite a chunk of money. Personally I would imagine the money would be spent better by using your suppliment money to purchase fresh produce.

I take one daily probiotic and one daily B50 vitamin. All other vitamins and minerals can be gotten from a proper diet.