What to eat after cardio?(so many different opinions)

Options
I am trying to figure out what best to eat after a cardio workout and have read about 7 topics about it now and all 7 say different things.

Any expert here that can give a answer with examples?

I know a whey shake is preferable after the workout but i am not in the position atm to buy whey so i guess i have to take eggs then, how many and how prepared, cooked, baked?

So i figured out you can eat an hour after, but what can i eat? are for example 2 whole-weat crackers with peanutbutter (they have extra nuts in it) sufficient?

The goal is losing weight and my workout schedule is like this.

P90X after breakfast and Les Mills Combat after diner.

Cheers

Replies

• katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter when you eat the protein, just meet your macros and cal goals.
    eat if you're hungry after the workout, if not, don't
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Buy whey is pretty much the cheapest protein source, surely you can afford the cheapest?
  • alex1894
    alex1894 Posts: 1
    Options
    Whey is actually very expensive. You might get a lot of protein but at a high price.

I think eggs and a banana or greek yogurt are great for after cardio.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    After a hard workout you are supposed to get protein within an hour of completing the workout so it can be available to repair the muscle damage. I personally do a cup of Chobani with a piece of fresh fruit after my morning run for a protein boost. I like peanut butter but it has so many calories and fat I tend to leave it off my normal rotation but if it is working for you and keeping you full stay with it.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    A pot of 2kilo cost €34,- and that is online in the stores prizes are way higher, i live on a budget on €42,- a week so no, i cant affort it just like that :smile:

Katy, although im not sure either what to eat after i don't think your answer is right because you have too put something in to refuel after a intense workout right?
  • RotterdamNL
    Options
    David, but thats the dilemma, all the topics i read pretty much come down to what is happening here.

1 say dont eat anything if you are not hungry, another say get proteins within an hour, another say get good fats after an hour, someone else say fruit direct after a workout is bad.

It is confusing
  • cougar2007
    Options
    David, but thats the dilemma, all the topics i read pretty much come down to what is happening here.

1 say dont eat anything if you are not hungry, another say get proteins within an hour, another say get good fats after an hour, someone else say fruit direct after a workout is bad.

It is confusing

If you are on P90x why are you not taking your recovery shake? Are you out? If you are weight lifting and muscle building that is when protein is very essential for the muscle repairing. But if you are just continually doing cardio, and not lifting, you should not be too focused on protein sups.

But as most have said prior, you don't have to have whey, you can eat some fish or chicken afterwards.
  • RotterdamNL
    Options
    I never had a recovery shake ;) and besides that i am in Europe so have to look for alternative things :)

P90X have some lifting in it and every sunday i work as a volunteer in a city gym so also lifting weights then.