Silk almond milk unsweetened vs regular

Options
I am debating switching my milk from regular cow's to Silk to try and help with my sugar intake. The commercials all show people who prefer it but I don't know anybody personally who has tried it. I am just hoping on some feedback as to Silk vs regular milk and the sweetened vs unsweetened. :) Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I love the Silk vanilla unsweetened almond milk. It's not bitter like you may think and tastes really good in cereal especially :smile:

If I try to drink dairy milk nowadays the thickness and taste is nearly vomit inducing.

ETA: Been drinking it for around 2+ years. Used to drink Soy milk before that for a few months - I way prefer almond milk.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk. I usually drink Blue Diamond Vanilla Unsweetened. It's good on it's own or in cereal or coffee. Always use it in my protein shakes. Last week we had a road trip and I bought the silk regular vanilla because it comes in litte individual boxes and it was good but had 90 calories per cup....I'd rather stick with the 40/30 of unsweetened vanilla. I say 40/30 because depending what grocery store I use the almond milk is different. It appears the same...Vanilla unsweetened, but has different nutritional value!! Very good though.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I use the unsweetened for homemade smoothies - you just can't beat 30 calories per 8 oz. serving. I've tried it with cereal but I don't like it.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I.like the one with coconut milk added to the almond milk. Better than just the almond milk. use it in everything, added to my chia, in my protein shakes, etc... But still haven't drank it, like from a cup. I did do a finger rates and it was good, so I might try it added to cereal. (I almost never drink milk from a cup, as a drink anyway)
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    As an adult, I have never liked dairy milk. I used it in cereal but didn't drink it. I switched to almond milk maybe 6 months ago. I like it much better in cereal and now drink it in my coffee instead of powdered creamer. Recently, my husband also switched to almond milk, and he is fine with it. He did mention that with some cereals the taste affects the taste of the cereal. We use unsweetened vanilla, so maybe the vanilla clashes?? I've never noticed a difference.

I like the fact that it lasts MUCH longer than dairy milk. We threw away too much sour milk in our house.
  • chinadoll22xo
    chinadoll22xo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    get the silk almond milk unsweetened best for u even body builders use it
  • jlloyd204
    jlloyd204 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I haven't had cow's milk in about 2 years and don't miss it (or all the hormones and additives!) whatsoever. Now when I do drink it I hate the texture and taste. I really recommend buying the unsweetened. They make both regular unsweetened and vanilla unsweetened (my favorite especially in cereal). The non-unsweetened has a lot of added sugar, especially the chocolate flavors and we all know if you're trying to get healthy or lose weight sugar is your worst enemy! Just make sure not to buy the boxed almond milk off the shelves (always buy from the cooler section). The stuff on the shelves has added preservatives (ie chemicals) that allow it to not need refrigeration.
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love the Silk vanilla unsweetened almond milk but i would not replace my regular milk with that. I use Almond milk in smooties, protein shakes and ceral. It lacks big time in protein and milk protein is very healthy. I take 100% Whole Milk which i know is high in calories and sugar but its milk and milk is very important for a women's body through out her life.

Almond milk sure is great in calcium and nothing beats 30 calories for 8 oz. You can start with sweetened if you are a little scared of trying the unsweetened but the sweetened milk on cereal is way too sweet.

Hope you find what you like.
  • JennChamb
    JennChamb Posts: 55
    Options
    My husband likes the vanilla almond milk but I prefer the original unsweetened. I think the vanilla makes things too sweet (like cereal).
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would never worry about the sugar in milk. And I have trouble getting enough protein so switching from a high protein dairy to a low protein almond milk to save some natural sugars isn't worth it to me. Just something else to consider.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I've bought it a few times (usually when it's on sale and thus cheaper than regular milk) and I like to drink it, but I hate it in my cereal. It just kinda tastes funny. I haven't tried any cooking or baking with it, which would be my other concern about switching to it completely. Make sure to look online about substituting it in recipes.
  • Mrsmegans
    Mrsmegans Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We use both sweetened and unsweetened and the only complaint I have is that I don't like it for my cereal. My kids don't have a problem with it because they've never used regular milk. It's just weird for me... but I do use it for pretty much everything else I would normally use dairy milk for. I have to say it does take some getting used to, but I haven't ever been able to tell the difference when I use it in a recipe where the milk isn't a focal point. We started out using sweetened but have switched to unsweetened and now only use the sweetened for drinking out of a cup.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I use the silk unsweetened almond milk with vanilla for my coffee and cereal. I have not tried it just for drinking since I don't really drink a ton of milk to begin with.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I like sweetened almond milk with my porridge in the morning as I think it makes it just sweet enough so I don't need sugar.

I much prefer normal milk for tea, coffee and things like omelettes though.
  • wvgirlnfl
    wvgirlnfl Posts: 30
    Options
    I use the Silk unsweetened vanilla. I tried the plain but could not take it. I use it in cereal, oatmeal and smoothies. I have drank it but I don't usually.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I LOVE silk. Soy or almond, I love!! But I always always have the unsweetened one. I use it in shakes, and cereal. I dont normally drink it by itself, but I can, it's not bad!
  • Jamtart9
    Jamtart9 Posts: 13
    Options
    So funny to see this post, I just tried it for the first time in my protein shake today. Got the silk plain unsweetened and used it with plain designer whey powder and fruit. ( I find the vanilla flavors too strong/cloying) The smoothie is ok, haven't tried it by itself yet.

I do have to say that Silk is the ONLY almond milk that I found W/O carrageenan, which if you read about can cause glucose intolerance.
  • His_Buttercup2015
    His_Buttercup2015 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I'm not looking to switch completely, I've got four kids in the house and a guy that grumbles when I buy 2% instead of whole. He grew up drinking whole straight-from-the-cow milk from a small local dairy, grass fed no hormone type stuff. I'll have to go and just try some but I wanted a little feedback first.
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I prefer unsweetened
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    So I was curios to see the carb count compared to dairy milk less than 1g, but theres only 1g of protein in a cup of almond milk compared to 8g in dairy milk. That was interesting I never compared the two.