Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

'Pay as you weigh' debate

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Given the weight of the plane, fuel, cargo (they move a lot of cargo on commercial planes), etc., the variable weight of the passengers is pretty insignificant. If it were significant, they'd be weighing passengers as they get on and doing fuel calculations on the fly.

Now, if a person is taking more than one seat, either making his/her neighbor uncomfortable, or possibly pushing another paying customer off of the flight, that would be another story. I would expect to have paid more for that when I was obese, and I was very tall so I never really spilled over.

The airline doing it is a smaller airline the operates smaller planes where the variances of people's weight is much more significant. And they are planning to include all baggage a person takes with them. In essence, they are treating people simply as cargo, just like the addition cargo they move on commercial airlines.

It isn't about seat size or space you take up.

ETA- there is nothing subjective about it. It is about weight and weight alone. Not size.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    ****ing ignorant and discriminatory.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Doesn't this promote anerxia? I mean, if you want to pay a small amount, people who love to travel will continue bad eating habits just to pay a lower fee. Maybe I overthink things... XD
  • 3dogsrunning
    Doesn't this promote anerxia? I mean, if you want to pay a small amount, people who love to travel will continue bad eating habits just to pay a lower fee. Maybe I overthink things... XD

I was just thinking I'd pack lighter.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    I am all for width measurements. If you take up more than the width of your seat, you should have to pay for another seat. Make EVERYONE sit in a chair at the counter to determine if they will fit. That way, everyone is subject to the same measuring.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    I agree with this 100%. Not so much "pay as you weigh" but probably more "pay for how many seats you're taking up" .
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I agree with this 100%. Not so much "pay as you weigh" but probably more "pay for how many seats you're taking up" .

^ This. If you take up two seats, you should pay for two seats. I paid for my seat, I want my whole seat and not half.
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    I sat next to a normal looking dude with his legs spread wide apart on a red-eye flight! This was when I was too meek to speak out, but he took his whole seat and half of mine. It was uncomfortable 5+ hour flight. I was cramped on one side. I think he should have paid me back for half of my seat!

Another time, I sat next to a mom that had 2 adult kids with her. Her constant moving around to cater to her 20-something years old kids and husband and all her stuff in the middle seat made me dizzy. I have no problems with people moving around, but she was like, "oh, you want fruit, gets fruit from bag overhead. oh you want sandwich, gets up again and goes to the bin above our heads, etc."

Ahh..I digress.

As for whether someone should pay extra on airline based on weight, too much variable.

MY OPINION is that If you can fit into one of those seats and not take up someone else's seat, I say no extra charge, but if you take the other seat, even if you are normal weight, you need to pay.
  • 3dogsrunning
    I sat next to a normal looking dude with his legs spread wide apart on a red-eye flight! This was when I was too meek to speak out, but he took his whole seat and half of mine. It was uncomfortable 5+ hour flight. I was cramped on one side. I think he should have paid me back for half of my seat!

Another time, I sat next to a mom that had 2 adult kids with her. Her constant moving around to cater to her 20-something years old kids and husband and all her stuff in the middle seat made me dizzy. I have no problems with people moving around, but she was like, "oh, you want fruit, gets fruit from bag overhead. oh you want sandwich, gets up again and goes to the bin above our heads, etc."

Ahh..I digress.

As for whether someone should pay extra on airline based on weight, too much variable.

MY OPINION is that If you can fit into one of those seats and not take up someone else's seat, I say no extra charge, but if you take the other seat, even if you are normal weight, you need to pay.

That's not the idea behind this. The idea is you pay for all of your weight, you, your luggage, your carryon, your purse, everything you take on the plane. Its not about how much room you take up, its about how much weight you add to the plane as fuel costs for flying depend on weight.

There are no variables, everyone gets weighed with everything they are bringing and pay a set fee per lb.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member

OH HELL NO

I have a zero tolerance policy on long haul flights. I've flown enough 24 hour journeys now to take not a single **** from people which impacts my own comfort.

I actually spent an hour with my knees up against the back of the guy in front's chair because after takeoff he lowered it into my crotch and started reading a newspaper. I could have taken out a pen and done the word puzzle for him it was that low.

Sack that all the way to Hong Kong! As soon as food came I asked him to raise it for my tray, and then wedged my legs in so my knees were parallel to my ears. Screw you, chair-too-low-man.
  • aprmay

Ahh..I digress.

That's not the idea behind this. The idea is you pay for all of your weight, you, your luggage, your carryon, your purse, everything you take on the plane. Its not about how much room you take up, its about how much weight you add to the plane as fuel costs for flying depend on weight.

There are no variables, everyone gets weighed with everything they are bringing and pay a set fee per lb.

Okay, I understand your point.

However, the airlines don't always adhere to that...because they have first and business class sections. Well...at least the airlines I fly on have this.

Seats are generally bigger and more room. When I flew first class or business, I have more leg and luggage room. I essentially bring the same amount of luggage (One carry on and a personal item) no matter which section I sit in, but it's a lot more comfy.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    I think it's really all about people taking up more than one space. If two spaces are used then the airline has a right to charge one person for those two spaces. It's really sad that this happens too. What's going on with us humans? We seem to be devolving instead of evolving.
  • 3dogsrunning

Ahh..I digress.

Okay, I understand your point.

However, the airlines don't always adhere to that...because they have first and business class sections. Well...at least the airlines I fly on have this.

Seats are generally bigger and more room. When I flew first class or business, I have more leg and luggage room. I essentially bring the same amount of luggage (One carry on and a personal item) no matter which section I sit in, but it's a lot more comfy.

I realize that. The article was about Samoan airlines changing to a new system. They are now charging are based on weight only. It was $1 something domestic and $2 something internationally per pound. As I said, all weight is included in that system.
  • 3dogsrunning
    I think it's really all about people taking up more than one space. If two spaces are used then the airline has a right to charge one person for those two spaces. It's really sad that this happens too. What's going on with us humans? We seem to be devolving instead of evolving.

No really, the article OP's link was about an actual airline that is charging based on all the weight you bring on board. No standard fee, just a per pound fee.
  • aprmay

OH HELL NO

I have a zero tolerance policy on long haul flights. I've flown enough 24 hour journeys now to take not a single **** from people which impacts my own comfort.

I actually spent an hour with my knees up against the back of the guy in front's chair because after takeoff he lowered it into my crotch and started reading a newspaper. I could have taken out a pen and done the word puzzle for him it was that low.

Sack that all the way to Hong Kong! As soon as food came I asked him to raise it for my tray, and then wedged my legs in so my knees were parallel to my ears. Screw you, chair-too-low-man.

Yeah, I would say something nowadays.

Wow, your experience...I would have *accidentally* spill some food on him. Geez!
  • aprmay

No really, the article OP's link was about an actual airline that is charging based on all the weight you bring on board. No standard fee, just a per pound fee.

I guess it can work. Like all things, some will choose to fly this way while others will choose other ways.
    In the end, it's dependent on costs and preferences.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member

Yep, I have no issue with this. When I was told I was being sent to South Africa for work, I made sure I lost 50lbs before the trip so I wouldn't have an issue. I ended up in a middle seat for 15+ hours and it sure as hell was worth it
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member

You have explained that this is about weight six times in this thread. Six times. Six different posts. In only two pages. And you've done so patiently.

Ever wonder how Internet arguments/hurt feelings/misunderstandings sometimes feel like people having different conversations?

This thread.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Happy Birthday, Lea.
  • 3dogsrunning

You have explained that this is about weight six times in this thread. Six times. Six different posts. In only two pages. And you've done so patiently.

Ever wonder how Internet arguments/hurt feelings/misunderstandings sometimes feel like people having different conversations?

This thread.

I'm actually just interested in real opinions on it. Hoping that someone will contribute. I;m not usually that persistent but I was bored and it was almost comical. Now I have to go anyway, on my way out.
    :)