Ween off of Diet Soda or Quit Cold Turkey?

Options
124»

Replies

• katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I recently just kicked the habit once all my diet dr pepper was out of the house. I did a little research and I'm a big fan of Prevention magazine. I have also read in other places some of the facts from this article as well. I would have liked to do more research, but back to work it is :)

http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/diet-soda-bad-you

Here is how it is broken down if you are strapped for time:
    1. Kidney problems.
    2. 34% higher chance of a metabolic syndrome.
    3. Artificial sweetners will trick you into thinking its real sugar, when in reality it will cause you to drink more.
    4. Diet soda have less in them which will get you drunk quicker if its mixed with your diet soda. More drunk=heavier hangover.
    5. Damage to mitochondria with chemicals that are mold inhibitors. These have evidence that they lead to hives, asthma, allergic reactions.
    6. Dental damage.
    7. BPAs... nuff said.

I have yet to read any real, reliable evidence that any of these "facts" have been proven. While Prevention can be a good magazine they aren't a place to go for true facts sometimes. Correlation of people experiencing these issues while drinking diet pop doesn't mean the pop is causing the issues.

I understand the BPA issue however BPA is still in a lot of things we handle and consume on a daily basis. A lot of regular cans (canned veggies, beans, etc) have BPA in the lining. A lot of store reciepts have BPA in them.

Ultimately, everyone needs to read and look at reliable evidence and make their own decisions. Diet pop isn't bad for everyone.

LIKE I SAID, I would have liked to do more research. I simply summed up an article I saw briefly. I guess I'll know better next time. :handslap:
  • kitcatsheart
    kitcatsheart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the great advice, I guess I'll feel it out for a little bit and see how it goes. I guess everyone is different so It may have to be a trial by error thing. It definitely helps hearing how everyone else did it :D
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can do this.

I cut all soda/pop/coke - whatever you want to call it over 10 years ago. I was not a heavy soda drinker & that helped me give it up cold turkey. I have not had one since the day I stopped. Not diet or regular. I don't miss them either.
  • RobJVM
    RobJVM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you need something with flavor you might try MiO water additive. 0 calories and it's made from Splenda, which I understand it the LEAST bad for you of the artificial sweeteners. I went from about 8 cans a day of regular Pepsi to zero and 20 lbs came off in 3 weeks just from the sugar.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I quit diet soda for like a week when I was trying to lose weight....after reading a lot about it though - I realized that was such a small issue for me why would I waste the willpower.

Im not scared of aspartame, I don't get urges from it and in fact I actually find diet pop HELPS me (especially on LeanGains) avoid cravings and temptation.

That is totally personal, diet pop could be a trigger for some people, but for me it helps - oh and it is delicious.

Oh and what the hell else would I mix Jack Daniels with ;)
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I did it cold turkey. I think I have had one in the last year. I didn't have any headaches because I was still getting caffeine from unsweetened tea. I won't lie, I still miss them, but I firmly believe they are bad for you.
  • kitcatsheart
    kitcatsheart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    *~*~*~*~ UPDATE *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

So I tried so quit cold turkey to see how it was going to go and for me it went So-so.
    I didnt have any headaches but I was like a jitter bug alll night at work last night and I was quite moody
    When the next shift came in they were like are you okay you seem really edgy and angry which is not like you at all
    So I sighed and explained that I was giving up my diet soda and poss having caffeine withdrawal issues
    My co-worker looked at me and said "well girl take a shot of tea or something cause you need it! lol"
    So I think Tapering is going to be best for me hee hee <3
    Thanks for all the advice!!!
    -Cat