Sugars in fruit?!?!

Options
I went over my sugar intake from fruit and its only lunch!!!!! Everyone I eat fruit I seem to go over just from that!!! Should I stop eating fruit??

Replies

• garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bumping so I can follow this thread. I eat more fruits then vegatables, it seems, and the fruit pushes me over on my sugars, too.
  • AmandajoyFair
    AmandajoyFair Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do the same and I'm wondering how much harm it will do.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I go over a lot if its fruit please don't worry! it is the bad sugars you don't want! :bigsmile:
  • Amberdee35
    Amberdee35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this as well. I assume fruit is better than candy! But then again, i have heard that sugar is sugar. Period. So I dont know...
  • DeeC01
    DeeC01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump to follow - I read in another thread that you don't worry about the sugar, but I'm curious about the Carb content. I want to eat fruit because it is good for me, but I miss my pasta!!
  • kristendaae1227
    Options
    I was just about to post a topic about this. I've been having problems staying under my recommended amount of sugar mainly due to fruits. I feel like going over in sugar from fruits (fructose) is way better than going over in sugar from sodas and candy. But either way, sugar is sugar (as someone already said) I just hope it doesn't greatly impact my weight loss as I've been trying to eat nothing but fruits and vegetables for breakfast and lunch.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I ignore all sugar from natural fruit. By this I mean I won't count an apple but I will count apple juice. It's one of the things that most people wish MFP could do but can't, distinguish between natural and added sugar.

I guess using the word "count" is not right. I log everything but I just ignore the sugar column if it came from a natural source.
  • rjc0914
    rjc0914 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist or an expert by any means, but when i was starting out a few months ago I noticed the same thing. I think it is ok and the sugar guidelines that MFP sets are more for added/refined sugars and not natural sugars as you would find in fruits and say milk (lactose). I eat as little added sugars as possible but still go over my MFP limit by more than double every day just from eating fruits, etc. and have still been losing weight steadily for months. Hope that helps!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I ignore all sugar from natural fruit. By this I mean I won't count an apple but I will count apple juice. It's one of the things that most people wish MFP could do but can't, distinguish between natural and added sugar.

And metabolically speaking what would be the difference from let's say natural and refined sucrose?
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    don't cut it out, but remember that your body metabolises all sugar in the same way. try to eat lower sugar fruits like berries over things like grapes or melon. or sweeter veggies.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't pay attention to sugars from fruit or homemade pure fruit juice. I tend to go WAY over my sugars daily because of the amount of fruit I consume (I follow more of a raw vegan diet approach so at least two of my meals are fruit only along with a lot of snacks). I only pay attention to refined sugars or processed sugars however besides the random bun I eat I don't consume any processed or refined sugars.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruits in much better than the processed sugar in other foods. With that being said, you still do not want to over do it on fruits either. A couple of fruits here and there throughout the day will be no problem but like anything else, too much of it can be bad and stored as fat. As long as you are staying at your calorie goal for the day, you will be fine as this is the main concern.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the sugars in fruit. Worry about refined or processed sugars. As long as you have your fruit with some protein (cottage cheese, protein shake, meat, etc.) the protein will slow down the release of the sugars so that they do not cause a large spike in your insulin levels.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't pay attention to sugars from fruit or homemade pure fruit juice. I tend to go WAY over my sugars daily because of the amount of fruit I consume (I follow more of a raw vegan diet approach so at least two of my meals are fruit only along with a lot of snacks). I only pay attention to refined sugars or processed sugars however besides the random bun I eat I don't consume any processed or refined sugars.

This is also good info
  • Marga40
    Marga40 Posts: 25
    Options
    My sugars are always over limit due to fruit. I don't worry about it because I'm not eating any refined sugars, and almost no processed foods. With fruit sugars at least I'm getting fiber, and of course nutrients. I'd only reduce fruit if I found I wasn't meeting my weekly goals. Even then, I couldn't eliminate fruit from my diet completely.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat nothing but fruits and vegetables for breakfast and lunch.

You need to incorporate some protein with your fruits and Veggies. You may be new to losing weight so I suggest googling (or reading the forums here) why and how much protein your body needs ;) I am not being rude I just don't know how long you have been on this journey and maybe you don't know :)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    To your body, really, all sugar is processed the same. Fructose (fruit sugar) is really not much different from sucrose (refined sugar) inside your body (yes, I know there are biological differences to how they're broken down, but when it comes to impacting weight loss it's not significant).

However, think of it this way - when you eat an apple, along with those sugars you're getting vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, etc. If you ate that sugar in the form of a candy bar, you'd get little to none of that. The other health benefits of fruit outweigh the negative impact of the sugars (when eaten in moderation, of course).
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

And metabolically speaking what would be the difference from let's say natural and refined sucrose?

I have no idea scientifically speaking but I couldn't follow a plan that wouldn't let me pick apples from a tree and eat them.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    I went over my sugar intake from fruit and its only lunch!!!!! Everyone I eat fruit I seem to go over just from that!!! Should I stop eating fruit??

wow
  • alexbhere
    Options
    The difference is in how much your insulin is spiked by natural sugars vs added. Most added sugars come in the form of corn syrup which the body doesn't need to digest and literally goes directly into your blood stream as blood sugar.