Insanity. Only for "fit" people??

Options
rahlpn
rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
I just got the Insanity workout system from a friend. I have 2 days left of the 30 Day Shred and I am ready to bump up my workout, longer and more intense. I love the 30 Day Shred, I've lost 11 lbs so far (haven't taken final weight or measurements yet) and I'm 33lbs down since Jan 1st. I started off at 240, weighed in this morning at 206.8, I'm 5'7" and some change. I started this weight loss journey off really slow, doing Just Dance 4 and biking, walking, etc, then last month added in 30DS. My question is, do you think I'll be able to do Insanity? My resting HR is 52, I'm very healthy overall (BP great, low cholesterol, no diabetes, no medical problems, no joint issues, no thyroid issues) I'm just overweight (or obese if you go by BMI). On the infommercial I don't really see people who started off looking like me, they are thin and just need to tone or guys with beer guts. Is this a realistic goal right now or should I do something else first before trying?

Replies

• amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    every exercise they do on those vids can be modified for advanced people and people who are not in such good shape. so if that is what you want to try dont look at it as something you can't do look at it as something to work towards.

good luck
  • rahlpn
    Options
    Thanks. I really want to do it, but everyone keeps saying "are you sure? It's really hard. Watch your ankles/knees/etc. Be careful." I'm like, what am I getting myself into?! LOL
  • jtndle
    jtndle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think if you have done 30 Day Shred, it will be a great next step. As the previous posters said, you can modify moves if needed or take extra breaks. I do thing there needs to be a certain amount of fitness to do insanity and have it make sense but if you did Jillian you are there. Good luck!
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm a 48 year old woman with back issues from a car accident. I do it. I just have to modify some of the moves. I will say it is VERY hard, and if you aren't going to be commited don't bother. although since you've already spent the money......

I absolutely love it. My 17 year old couldn't keep up with me. I am too stubborn to stop now. Will start month 2 next week. There is a guy on the informercial who lost about 200 pounds. I believe it took him 2 or 3 rounds of it. Once I finish in May I'm going to start over until his new series T25 comes out this summer.

I say go for it. Just be warned it is very difficult. But know you do not have to keep up with them. Just go at your own pace and you will be fine.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I really want to do it, but everyone keeps saying "are you sure? It's really hard. Watch your ankles/knees/etc. Be careful." I'm like, what am I getting myself into?! LOL

don't let other peoples fear hinder you from attempting something you want to do. they dont want you to do it because they are scared to even try it.

what you are "getting yourself into" is a better physical condition. as long as you give it your best attempt and try to make today better than yesterday and tomorrow better than today that is all you can ask of your body.

F what everyone else who is to scared to try says
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    its hard.... im not "fit" .. but im doing it! is not easy but it get better!!

btw... I hate it! :laugh:

you can do this too!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    No, its not only for fit people. It's to whip non-fit people into shape as well. I'm doing it now. It works. Stop worry about the exercise, focus on the diet/intake/macros, etc. that's what's going to help you out. Eat too much or too many carbs and you're not going to see the progress you want.
  • zooles
    zooles Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think you will be just fine. My dumb *kitten* tries to keep up with Shaun...bad idea. Hell if you want to do as many reps as him, there is always the pause button. The whole point of Insanity is to work up to what they are doing. I totally get sucked into the infomercial every time I come across it. You will see everyone in that thing couldn't do it at first. Hell, if you watch the video, the people IN the video can't finish the entire thing without taking breaks. Hell Shaun can't make it through. He makes some of the people take breaks. Do what you can without going crazy.
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Insanity is awesome - I think it will help if you're not COMPLETELY out of shape, but it sounds like you're already doing well and have had other workout programs going on. No joint issues is definitely good, because my sister just tried to do it with me and said her knee felt like it couldn't handle it. She had an ACL replacement a couple of years ago and it still give her trouble. I modify a lot of the exercises, and there are a couple things on there that exhaust me COMPLETELY, but you're told all through to go at your own pace and take breaks when you need them. I was terrified of this workout when I first got it - now I'm addicted! Come to the dark side!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 6 and I started very physically unfit. Insanity has less to do with how physically fit you are and more to do with mental toughness. At least in my opinion. Don't get me wrong it is physically taxing, BUT if you let your mind or someone else tell you "I can't do this, I'm not fit enough yet" then don't even start. In my first week I had some one tell me "so and so stopped after the first month. If they couldn't finish it then maybe you should try something else because you won't finish it either." That right there was all the reason I needed to show them I wasn't going to let them or my negative thoughts stop me from finishing.

6 weeks in and I have only lost 9 pounds, BUT I went from wearing a (US) size 16/18 to a 12/14. Make the mental commitment and the rest will follow!
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Definitely give it a try! It is a serious, hard work out, and it produces results. Just keep an eye on your heart rate, go at your own pace, and listen to your body. It's not for everyone, but it works very well for beginners and advanced folks alike.

If you find it hurts your joints too much, just pick another workout video, no big deal. Don't go into it expecting to be able to keep up with those people, though. They are not beginners. You will absolutely see personal progress, though. You can do it!

(Don't forget to have yourself a protein shake after those workouts though. You gotta fuel the madness.)
  • rahlpn
    Options
    I'm in week 6 and I started very physically unfit. Insanity has less to do with how physically fit you are and more to do with mental toughness. At least in my opinion. Don't get me wrong it is physically taxing, BUT if you let your mind or someone else tell you "I can't do this, I'm not fit enough yet" then don't even start. In my first week I had some one tell me "so and so stopped after the first month. If they couldn't finish it then maybe you should try something else because you won't finish it either." That right there was all the reason I needed to show them I wasn't going to let them or my negative thoughts stop me from finishing.

6 weeks in and I have only lost 9 pounds, BUT I went from wearing a (US) size 16/18 to a 12/14. Make the mental commitment and the rest will follow!

Great point! I don't ever let anyone tell me what to do, haha, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't kidding myself and I'm being realistic. Just like with 30DS I plan to stick with it no matter what. My husband tried to tell me I didn't need to workout or to do something else here and there and I just said "nope. I'm doing my workout." and went upsatirs and got it done. I feel very motivated by everyones responses here, I feel less intimidated somehow. I will just push myself to my limits, there is only forward, no backwards. I've come too far to even think about giving up now, are you crazy? Lol.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I do my last day of month one tomorrow, the first day I really thought I couldn't manage it. My fitness has improved dramatically! Give it a go, just remember what they say, concentrate on form rather than keeping up, know your limits and take breaks when you need to.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    You're borrowing it, not buying it so you have nothing to lose. And if you like 30DS then look into doing Body Revolution. I loved it so much and lost a lot of weight and inches. I went from no regular exercise to 30 DS for 45 days to Body Revolution for 90 days to a mix of Jillian DVD's to build up in time (60-80 minutes per day) and now am on week 3 of Insanity.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a lot of high impact work and many exercises you can't substitute for low impact.

I know everyone swears up and down you can modify the program to suit your fitness level, but there comes a point where you're making so many modifications that you're just not doing the program _at all_ anymore, and you would be better off doing something tailored to your fitness level.
  • coltrane78
    Options
    Is it generally recommended for people who are in intermediate/advanced shape/ and for athletes. Since you have done 30DS you should progressed conditioning wise. It is still a hard workout even for the fittest person. My suggestion is do the first 20 minutes of the workout before you jump into 45 minutes of it.

Better yet check out Shaun T's Insanity Fast and Furious. It is only 20 minutes but it is a killer workout. That will give you a sample of what Insanity is about.
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I think you will be just fine. My dumb *kitten* tries to keep up with Shaun...bad idea. Hell if you want to do as many reps as him, there is always the pause button. The whole point of Insanity is to work up to what they are doing. I totally get sucked into the infomercial every time I come across it. You will see everyone in that thing couldn't do it at first. Hell, if you watch the video, the people IN the video can't finish the entire thing without taking breaks. Hell Shaun can't make it through. He makes some of the people take breaks. Do what you can without going crazy.

On the teambeachbody website, there are video chats with ShaunT...he doesn't recommend pushing pause. Just to take breaks as you need them and jump back in. One of the things I liked most about the videos was the fact that everyone has to take breaks in it. They stop, they get water, whatever...its challenging. And the stronger and more conditioned you become, the harder you push yourself and so it never gets easier. My first day, I didn't think I was going to make it thru the warmup! I was doing it thinking "Ok, maybe this will be it for today and my goal will be to make it thru." But then they stretch and it feels so good! I think if that stretch wasn't 10min in I would have died, lol. But I made it thru(with many breaks) that first workout and all that followed. Last year I told myself I would never be able to do Insanity. This year I proved myself wrong. I loved it and I look forward to your progress.
    BTW-> don't be discouraged when the scale doesn't move much. You drop inches more than anything, and the majority of it happens after Week 6.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do it. If you're out of breath, take a breather but keep the video running and you'll feel guilted into rejoining in no time. Keep water and a towel close at hand and you'll surprise yourself with how much more you're able to do each week, each workout even!

You'll be plenty tired after the fitness test (the video you should do on Day 1), and when you do the first workout, don't expect to even make it through the warm up without needing to break for some water. That's totally normal and you WILL get better.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, have MS, and started off in TERRIBLE shape. I did it last summer. Now I'll be honest and tell you that I was unable to finish month 2 at the time but I truly believe it's because I just didn't have the strength for it. I'm thinking that now that I'm stronger I will try it again and probably be able to finish. It is hard BUT you can modify everything. The main thing is NOT to compare or try to keep up with the people in the dvd at first. They are all in super shape to begin with. Go at your on pace and level. It does work and each time you do it you get stronger. Good luck!!:smile:
  • musicrocks133
    musicrocks133 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You should be able to do it. You really go at your own pace as long as you push yourself everytime. I don't do the same amount of work that they do on the video but I push myself everytime and I have lost weight. You just need to make sure to not strain yourself by trying to keep up with them. It is a really good program if you are willing to commit.