It's about time

cmoe88
cmoe88 Posts: 3
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
I am nearing a milestone in my life (40) and want to loose the weight as well as keep it off. I want to loose 62 pounds - I know that it is my gain over years of becoming quite sedentary and 3 kids later.

I have a hard time getting motivated - I have all the tools I could possibly want and they are right there in plain sight in my living room - yet I ignore them day after day. I have a treadmill, hand weights, medicine ball, dvds of tai bo, yoga, fitness for dummies - many of which I have not ever watched. I also have a friend that has borrowed me her Slim in 6 dvd set.

My husband is also overweight and will be reaching a milestone next year (50) weighs 260 and would like to be 230 and we would love to commit to walking at least a 1/2 hour everyday in the morning when we get up. Starting tomorrow actually no we will start it today. It is hard because we both procrastinate and I don't know that we are truly supportive of one another's weight loss goals. For example this morning he wanted to go buy bread and I said let's lay low on the bread and try some alternatives - wrapping meat in lettuce. He just looks at me - doesn't go to the store but starts eating popcorn (buttered with salt).....eeks!

I am sick of the up and down cycle. I did join Crossfit and really enjoyed it but can no longer afford it. HELP!!

Replies

• cmoe88
    I am nearing a milestone in my life (40) and want to loose the weight as well as keep it off. I want to loose 62 pounds - I know that it is my gain over years of becoming quite sedentary and 3 kids later.

I have a hard time getting motivated - I have all the tools I could possibly want and they are right there in plain sight in my living room - yet I ignore them day after day. I have a treadmill, hand weights, medicine ball, dvds of tai bo, yoga, fitness for dummies - many of which I have not ever watched. I also have a friend that has borrowed me her Slim in 6 dvd set.

My husband is also overweight and will be reaching a milestone next year (50) weighs 260 and would like to be 230 and we would love to commit to walking at least a 1/2 hour everyday in the morning when we get up. Starting tomorrow actually no we will start it today. It is hard because we both procrastinate and I don't know that we are truly supportive of one another's weight loss goals. For example this morning he wanted to go buy bread and I said let's lay low on the bread and try some alternatives - wrapping meat in lettuce. He just looks at me - doesn't go to the store but starts eating popcorn (buttered with salt).....eeks!

I am sick of the up and down cycle. I did join Crossfit and really enjoyed it but can no longer afford it. HELP!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Hi and welcome to this site!!! To be honest with you, do not wait for your husband or anyone else to reach your goals...you will only get dissapointed. Do it for yourself and stay focused. I know it is hard and counting calories can be tedious but this can really work for you. Stay positive, it will be challenging. There will be ups and downs but that is how life is...as long as you stay consistent you will see results...and don't expect results quickly, it will take time...try to find the post from Banks that is titled expectations, it is a really good one to read!! Good luck!!
  • cmoe88
    Thanks for the advice - I read the post "Expectations" by Banks. What a great read and really truthful. I am going to print it and post it where I can see it daily and when I reach the high / low plateaus I don't just give up or give in, but really do continue on no matter how hard it might be.
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    If you can't do anything else just continue to log what you eat at every meal and snack everyday and slowly start to cut out the extras. For instance if you see that you eat chips or cookies 3x a day cut back to 2x, measure your snacks instead of eating from the bag. Small steps will grow into long strides.

If you can't commit to a 30 minute walk start at 5 minutes, park the car at the far end of the parking lot at work and the grocers, every little bit helps.

Good luck.:smile:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Good advice Dhayes, :smile: As far as your husband wanting bread, buy the Sara Lee whole wheat bread at 45 calories a slice. The cooking you do and preparing of food can effect your whole family. Start making healthier choices for yourself and serve them to hubby as well. But keep track of your calories on here and exercises, choose leaner meats, fresh veg. and fruits. Your going to feel so much better.:flowerforyou:
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Looking at my parents I know how difficult starting healthy living can be! :wink:
    But this is a good place to start.
    I think that you should start logging food and exercising a bit even if your husband is unwilling. He may grumble but when he sees you losing pound he'll join you, I'm sure! :smile:
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.