Running and breathing question

Earlier this year I started doing a couch to 5k program and, until recently, have had great success. I reached the mid-point of this program last week and have discovered with the longer running times my breathing has become intensely painful. Part of me wonders if some of it isn't mental (I've never been able to run this long before and maybe start to panic a little thinking I can't do it?). I have been using a 3:2 technique for running but have found now that the longer I run I start gasping to the point my lungs feel like they are going to explode!

My question is, does the breathing ever get less painful? I am able to ignore the pain in my legs, but the pain in my lungs gets me just a little too panicky.

Replies

• Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Is the pain a side cramp? Or is it actually in your lungs? What is the weather like too where you run at? Sometimes if its really cold and dry it can cause pain in your lungs. If its a side cramp, you need to make sure you are breathing more. If not any of these you might want to consult with a physician to make sure it isn't hurting your health.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Yes, breathing does get less painful as your lungs adjust. If breathing is painful towards the end of your runs then slow down at the beginning. I find that allowing my body to slowly warm up and adjust for the first 5 km, results in a very pleasant run and my speed increases, on average, for the entire run.
  • lola8403
    lola8403 Posts: 25 Member
    It's definitely in my lungs. But what you said makes sense. It's been in the 30s and 40s here so it could absolutely be the cold.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Focus on breathing in for four seconds or steps and breathing out for four seconds. Go slower to help concentrate on breathing. Gasping is not a good idea, when you start to notice gasping slow down your breathing. If you have to "shuffle run" to breathe right then do so.
    Also focus on posture, shoulders back, head held high and a smile on your face:)
  • nhouse3417
    nhouse3417 Posts: 105
    It's definitely in my lungs. But what you said makes sense. It's been in the 30s and 40s here so it could absolutely be the cold.

When I run in the 30s or 40s my lungs feel like they are on fire after a while of running. I dont really have any advice to help that I try to avoid running in those temps these days. One thing I read was to make sure your chest is warm enough, I have NO clue if that helps for breathing or not.
  • lola8403
    lola8403 Posts: 25 Member
    Thank you to everyone for your advice! I just wanted to make sure that it was normal and that it would eventually get better. I appreciate the help.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Try breathing IN through your nose. That seems to help in the cold. When it's really cold, I wear a loose bandana near my mouth and try to breathe through it sometimes.