Hydrostatic weighing or DXA/DEXA?

Options
Which is more accurate? Or do they have the same margin of error? I keep reading conflicting info on the Internet. I think I'd prefer DEXA. Hydrostatic weighing is cheaper, but I am just not excited about blowing out all the air in my lungs and then submerging.

Replies

• doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Which is more accurate? Or do they have the same margin of error? I keep reading conflicting info on the Internet. I think I'd prefer DEXA. Hydrostatic weighing is cheaper, but I am just not excited about blowing out all the air in my lungs and then submerging.

I'm doing the hydrostatic weighing on the 18th. I'm not thrilled with the idea of going through the process, but the info it'll yield is worth it to me. Paying more isn't something I could do right now.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I like DXA because it gives you info like bone density. When preformed in scientific experiments, the error margin is similar. In order to do that, they have to preform hydrostatic weighing several times and measure the amount of air exhaled from the lungs. IMO, DXA gives more consistent results.

Also, my local university does it for $75/test for people affiliated with the university and $90 for people unaffiliated and will offer a discount if you schedule two instead of just one.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks! They do DXA at my local university for $100. I was just worried that they weren't as accurate as hydrostatic. I've seen them both claimed as "the gold standard," but some of the research seems to base the accuracy of DXA on hydrostatic weighing results.