soft food post wisdom teeth

Options
I'm getting my wisdom teeth out and they want me to eat "soft, nutritious, high carbohydrate' food the first day and then soft and nutritious a few days. Smoothies are an obvious, any other recipe / food ideas for me? Trying to eat around 1200 calories these days!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would know down some protein shakes to ensure protein is adequate and maybe some eggs to get your fats. Also, if your body needs to recover, I would suggest trying to eat closer to maintenance so you can adequate feed your metabolic responses from injury. If you under eat, it may take longer to heal.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Applesauce, Malt-O-Meal (yum!!!), pudding, jello, pasta that's a little past al dente :wink: , yogurt, ice cream/froyo/sorbet :love: , eggs, cottage cheese (can mix with stuff, too - cinnamon, salsa or fruit, etc), bananas (maybe with a nut butter but not sure if it would stick to your gums, ouch)...some of those require a bit of chewing but might be ok for 2-3 days past surgery.
  • cbm413
    cbm413 Posts: 36
    Options
    I lived on pumpkin pie filling and KFC mashed potatoes & gravy after my wisdom teeth were removed. Obviously they don't fit the "nutritious" part, but I'm sure there are lighter versions :smile:
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I would know down some protein shakes to ensure protein is adequate and maybe some eggs to get your fats. Also, if your body needs to recover, I would suggest trying to eat closer to maintenance so you can adequate feed your metabolic responses from injury. If you under eat, it may take longer to heal.

Agree with that, too. Fuel your healing; weight loss should never come before health issues (well, the ones that aren't *caused* by weight at least, haha), especially very temporary ones like this. And adding some protein powder into your smoothies is a great idea.
  • fancycatlady
    fancycatlady Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is all great information! Thanks and I'll obviously consider my health before weight loss, dah :blushing:
    sometimes it's hard to get myself out of dieting mode ; )
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    My friend and cousin both had theirs out in the past 2 days. If you're trying to up your calories there's full fat yoghurt. My cousin is currently eating congee/rice porridge but I'm pretty sure that's low cal.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Unless you've had half your jaw chopped about, you'll be on shakes or soup for about 24-48 hours, then it's pretty much back to normal.

It's not that bad.
  • Amanda0877
    Options
    Avacados!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    When i got mine out i used protein shakes, soup, pudding, and bananas...youll be good after about four days. Good luck!
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just had mine out yesterday..they weren't impacted and I had one side done. I had them out at 11:30 a.m and I had a turkey burger patty at 6 pm. I'm not nearly at the calories I usually eat...1700 normally based on TDEE....yesterday I had 900 and feel so tired but trying to eat high protein. It's not as bad as I thought it would be...I didn't think I'd be able to eat at all.