exercise calories.....

StarryEyedGirl
StarryEyedGirl Posts: 585
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I feel guilty eating the exercise calories! I feel as if eating them is me just over eating.... how can I lose weight if my calorie count is higher... I know this has been posted a million time and I should have pay closer attention....

anyone?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

you're not guilty when you put gas in your car are you? No...your car must have fuel or it can't go- just like you. Driving to the corner takes less fuel than driving across the state. More exercise=more fuel needs.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    you're not guilty when you put gas in your car are you? No...your car must have fuel or it can't go- just like you. Driving to the corner takes less fuel than driving across the state. More exercise=more fuel needs.
    I LOVE your analogy for the answer! Great way to sum it up!

As a reminder, when you set up your account, MFP automatically put you at a calorie deficit, so if all you were to do were to stick to your calorie allotment, you'd lose weight. Working out increases that deficit. If you don't eat back at least some of those calories, your body will run out of fuel. Eating your exercise calories will not cause you to stop losing weight or gain weight because you're already at a deficit. Eating the exercise calories just keeps you at the MFP recommended deficit. That's all. Eat them, it's good for you!
  • johnporcaro
    johnporcaro Posts: 76 Member
    lilchino's right, you need to eat your exercise calories. the way MFP works is to take away the calories you say you're going to be gaining with exercise (it's why it asks you how many days/how many hours you work out in a week), then giving them back as kind of a "reward." if you don't eat them, you're going to starve yourself, and that's not healthy.

EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
  • thank you eveyone- very much!
This discussion has been closed.