So, i discovered...

AprilChampion
AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
edited September 20 in Recipes
Turkey Bacon and Turkey burgers and they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!!!!

the butterball turkey thin and crispy bacon is on 30 calories for 2 slices!!! if im feeling really generous to myself, i can have 4 slices @ only 60 cals and i am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy because i am a bacon FIEND. i LOVE LOVE LOVE bacon and this satisfies that hunger for it instead of the pork....

and Jennie O Lean Turkey Burgers...OMG, tonight i had one for dinner (160 cals) on a multigrain whole wheat sandwich thin (100 cals) with a slice of romaine lettuce, a slice of tomato and a slice of onion and OH.MY.GOD. AND, the best part??? only 461 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so hooked on this stuff now...they have done stuff SO much better now!! when i was younger and my mother (who was a health nut) would buy the "healthy" stuff, it was always like cardboard....NOT ANYMORE........OMG< now i can have burgers with HALF the calories!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• sessy1011
    sessy1011 Posts: 30
    bump
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    YAY glad you found a new food April :wink:
    How's the sodium level?
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Knew about turkey bacon and COMPLETELY agree, but haven't tried turkey burgers yet. Made chili with ground turkey and couldn't taste the difference and it was way healthier! Definitely will try turkey burgers as soon as I get the chance!
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    YAY glad you found a new food April :wink:
    How's the sodium level?

Yeah most turkey/chicken bacons are low in Cals but very HIGH in sodium, so I would be curious about the levels too.
  • Love love love turkey products.....i hardly ever eat beef anymore....i even have tricked ex boyfriends in the past....they had no clue
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    I haven't tried turkey burgers yet, but I'm planning on it.

We've switched to turkey franks and turkey ham, and I swear ... I can't taste the difference.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Is it ground white meat turkey or dark meat? I thought I'd discovered something so great when I started buying 1 lb. rolls of ground turkey only to find out it's about the same fat ratio as ground beef:sad: It's because they don't have to tell you which part of the turkey they are grinding up. Roll of dark ground turkey is .89 cents a lb. I do still buy it sometimes cause you can't beat the price but I feel cheated after finding out the truth. :huh: :frown: :laugh:

White turkey ground up is about $4.99 here a lb. EEK I tried ground chicken once and BLAH found it terribly gritty (perhaps I should have read up if they grind the WHOLE bird up or not? lol)

April, I'm going to check out those burgers next time I'm in the store as I've never seen them.

Thanks for sharing a new product:flowerforyou:

Becca:heart:
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    We love turkey burgers - just gotta spice them up a bit more. YAY for the turkey bacon - haven't tried it in years, but as a bacon fiend myself, will try! And don't forget the turkey pepperoni! Yummmmm! :drinker:
  • AprilChampion
    wow, so, for those that replied, Thanks! i completely forgot that i posted this....

As for the sodium level its - 270mg...11% daily requirements...i dunno what those mean since i dont watch my sodium intake.

one patty ( which is pretty decent sized) is 160 cals and 9g of fat.

i think they are white meat. I dunno, i just know they are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Anyone who's worried about the sodium, just make your own. I mix turkey with mustard, liquid smoke, molasses and pepper then grill those patties. They come out juicy every time and SOOO good. You really can't tell it's not beef.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    As for the ground turkey, sounds like you're using regular ground turkey, which isn't very much different than ground beef nutrition wise, it actually has more calories, and more fat that 95% lean ground beef (granted, price is lower, but still).

What you really want to look for is either 95% lean ground beef (around 185 cals and about 7 grams of fat per 4 oz serving) OR you could go real lean and go with ground turkey breast (also quite expensive), it's 99% fat free (less than 1 gram per serving) and has about 125 calories per 4 oz serving. Personally, for burgers, I find ground beef to be better for burgers, but other than that they are about the same.
  • AprilChampion
    Anyone who's worried about the sodium, just make your own. I mix turkey with mustard, liquid smoke, molasses and pepper then grill those patties. They come out juicy every time and SOOO good. You really can't tell it's not beef.

whats liquid smoke??
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    it's a seasoning, you find it on the spices aisle. It comes in a little brown glass bottle. It's POTENT so if you use it ...remember you only need a few drops.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    In all the stores I've bought it from it's next to the worchestershire sauce (which I also sometimes throw in). LuckyLeprechaun is right...you only need a few drops. It's the liquid condensation of smoking something. I usually use a George Foreman grill to grill the burgers on so I add it to taste a little more like I used a real grill. And spicy, oven baked sweet potato fries go really well with it.
  • Patti909
    Patti909 Posts: 36
    I love the turkey burger with bbq sauce.
This discussion has been closed.