Recipes for plain non-fat yogurt

Options
jlo7
jlo7 Posts: 45
Does anyone have any recipes for plain non-fat yogurt? Can it be used as a substitution for mayo?

Replies

• bballgrrl34
    bballgrrl34 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I know some people use it to replace sour cream. Not really a recipe, but if you make burritos or quesadillas you can use plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
  • keshmo88
    keshmo88 Posts: 8
    Options
    What do you mean recipes? Like what to have it with? Frozen/fresh berries, yogurt & cinnamon is a lovely dessert. Yogurt, cucumber, mint, a squeeze of lemon juice makes a yummy dip for carrot & celery sticks,
    Fuzzy Fruit Dips with yogurt dip (you could always skip the first step and just dip regular fruit into it.

Ingredients (serves 4)
    45g (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
    125ml (1/2 cup) fresh orange juice
    400g watermelon, rind removed, cut into 4cm pieces.
    2 kiwifruit, peeled, cut into quarters
    1 banana, peeled, cut into 8 pieces
    Yogurt dip
    130g (1/2 cup) vanilla yoghurt
    2 tbs fresh orange juice

Method
    Sprinkle desiccated coconut evenly over a plate. Pour orange juice into a shallow bowl. Dip watermelon in the orange juice, then roll in the coconut to coat. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with kiwifruit and banana.

Combine vanilla yoghurt and fresh orange juice in a bowl. Serve with fuzzy fruit chunks

Low fat chicken strips with sweet chilli ygourt dip

Ingredients (serves 4)
    1 cup stale breadcrumbs
    1/3 cup instant polenta
    1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
    12 (750g) chicken tenderloins, trimmed
    2/3 cup NESTLE All Natural Natural Style yogurt
    canola oil cooking spray
    mixed salad, to serve
    Sweet chilli yoghurt
    1/2 cup NESTLE All Natural Natural Style yogurt
    2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander

Method
    Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Combine breadcrumbs, polenta, parsley, garlic salt and parmesan in a bowl. Place yoghurt in separate bowl.

Dip chicken in yoghurt, shaking off excess. Toss in breadcrumb mixture. Place on trays.

Spray chicken with oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and cooked through.

Make sweet chilli yoghurt Combine ingredients in a bowl.

Serve chicken with sweet chilli yoghurt and salad.

You can also make like a trifle: Diet jelly layered with plain yogurt and fruit pieces makes a yummy dessert that feels naughty but isn't!

Hope this is what you mean, or did you mean hyow to MAKE yogurt from scratch?
  • jlo7
    jlo7 Posts: 45
    Options
    That was what I meant. Thank You so much! I'll have to try those.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I do 1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt, 1/2 cup granola nuts & honey (it's basically honey bunches of oats w/ almonds without the flakes) and then about 3/4 cup microwaved frozen blueberries. Mix it up and it is YUM YUM YUM! :happy: I'm hoping my kiwi will be ripe soon so I can throw some of those in there with banana. Can't wait to see how it tastes!

Edit: An improvisation - I usually make my own honey mustard, but with sour cream. I just made some with the yogurt and it tastes the same! For about one serving:

1 tbsp pure honey
    1 tbsp yellow mustard
    maybe 4 tbsp yogurt (i did 0.15 cup in my diary and just kind of eyed it - adding more just changes the consistency)

heat the honey a little to get it smoother, then stir the mustard and yogurt in until it's how you want it, then refrigerate to cool it. dip chicken in it, put on salad, whatever!
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I mix it with an Indian spice called tandoori (often used on chicken), then mix sauteed chicken into the sauce and serve it on rice. It's a really low-cal, savory Indian dish.
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Options
    It's one of my favorite products!

I use it instead of sour cream in soups; in salads as a dressing ingredient (i.e. mix with some spices+ lemon juice); in baking, instead of milk or full fat product; in my desserts, by adding berries and/or honey, cinnamon; for my breakfast, by adding some healthy cereal on top; in smoothies instead of flavored/sweetened yogurt.

When you use it instead of mayo, mix with some olive oil, or a tiny bit of low-fat mayo, to get a light flavor. :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I use plain yogurt for a lot of things!

Add some frozen berries, strawberries, or really any kind of fruit and some chopped walnuts and sprinkle w/ cinnamon for a really good snack.

Top a plain baked potatoes w/ plain yogurt.

Mix plain yogurt w/ hummus for a creamier veggie dip. (and less calories!)

Use instead of sour cream for other veggie dips, on burritos, taco salad, top your chili, etc.

Use it for smoothies.

It's cheaper and much healthier than pre-sweetened yogurts!!