When do you see the skinny girl in the mirror?

Options
I apologize if this is on the wrong forum, but I was not sure where to ask it.

Does anyone else have the same issue of losing quite a bit of weight and then not seeing yourself as the skinny girl/guy yet? I still walk into a store and head towards sizes of clothes that are too big for me and think of myself as being that overweight girl that I used to be. It baffles to me to fit into a size 7 or a small and I am thrilled to have made it this far. Just wondering.

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll ever see the skinny person in the mirror. I know what size I wear, I buy that size and go to those sections, but I still look in a mirror and see fat (in general).
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I still don't and all I may ever see is a big blob...
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't see any difference in me at all. But my t shirt is hanging off me, my hoodie has room for someone else in there with me, my trackies, nearly too right just over a month ago, are getting loose.

I don't think I'll ever see anything different.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I saw the skinny person in the mirror when I was at my highest weight ... thats why I got so big lol ... I only saw the fat person in pics
  • jmlf4
    jmlf4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think along with losing the weight that we have to work on how we view ourselves. I know I have always thought I was so big even at the times I had lost the weight. So I am saying our mental image of ourselves and "baggage" I have carried needs to be worked out also. Lot of issues outside of just losing the weight.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I saw the skinny person in the mirror when I was at my highest weight ... thats why I got so big lol ... I only saw the fat person in pics

Exactly.
    Now that I'm aware of my weight all I see is a blobmonster.
    I still gravitate towards the plus size sections even though I'm wearing clothes in the 'normal' areas for the most part.
    I have a hard time seeing my body for what it is, regardless of the weight :/
  • sammyantics
    sammyantics Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I always felt like fattest girl in the room, and I was a lot of the time too, so looking in the mirror, all i noticed were my flaws. Even when I was at my skinniest and fittest after landscaping for an entire summer, I still felt huge. Years later, after I regained the weight, I see photos of myself from that summer and see how good I looked, but never realized it.

Now, I think I look damn good, even though I'm far from my goal. I wear bigger sizes, but I make sure they fit well. Hell, I wear form-fitting miniskirts that hug my curves and I feel like a bombshell.

I think it's all about perception, and honestly, as cheesy as it is, telling yourself you look good will actually help you FEEL that way.
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. It's not about seeing it, it about accepting it. It's when I don't accept the fact that I am skinny, that's when I still see myself as fat.
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    I don't think I'll ever see the skinny person in the mirror. I know what size I wear, I buy that size and go to those sections, but I still look in a mirror and see fat (in general).

^^^ THIS.
    Not sure when it will change. I hope it does. I am now in a size 6 (size 4 in some things and size 8 in others), but I still "see" myself in the mirror as heavy, and observe the fat I can still see as unsightly. :| I am working toward being more toned and am making progress, but I still don't see a thin woman in the mirror.
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm haing that issue right now! People at work keep calling me skinny, and I'm all like, "who are you referring to??"
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    aim to be the most fit person not the thinnest... plenty of people weighing half of what i do that can't do the things i can do physically...

then again i am not a woman so i dont really have image issues
  • SVFerg
    SVFerg Posts: 2 Member
    Options

^This is my issue too!! I still think I am much smaller than I really am. Good to know someone else has the same problem.
  • sheri555
    sheri555 Posts: 38
    Options
    I can completely relate. I've lost a little over 77lbs, and I still have a hard time seeing it in the mirror. I read somewhere that sometimes it can take the brain a little while to catch up. But it WILL catch up. I've done the same thing as far as buying clothes that are way too big because my brain is still thinking fat fat fat. My advice, take measurements frequently, and try to take stock of how you feel. Is it easier to move around, run around, etc.? These are changes I can instantly notice, like "Oh my god, I can climb a flight of stairs (hell I can run them) without feeling like I'm going to have a coronary." I started this whole thing wanting to look good, and somehow it morphed into wanting to feel good too. Try to be patient with your brain/eyes/self image. They will catch up to reality eventually.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    All of my clothing is hanging off of me but I see no loss at all. I can feel it though.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options

^This is my issue too!! I still think I am much smaller than I really am. Good to know someone else has the same problem.

I'm like this also. For along time we did not have a full length mirror in the house so I only saw myself from the shoulders up. When we first got a full length mirror I was shocked at how fat I looked. I still don't look at myself too much in that mirror. One of my goals is to feel comfortable with that.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    I still haven't.
    Size 18 to a 0.
    Close to 100 lbs lost.

I'm not sure when we'll get there. Honestly.
  • littlebutnice
    littlebutnice Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ditto
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I have been at goal for nearly three years and I rarely see the "real" me in the mirror. Occasionally I will catch my reflection out of the corner of my eye and need to do a double take because I still don't believe it's me.

I'm getting a little better, but I think for me, I don't truly see how much weight I've lost until I look at before and after pictures.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Our minds try to protect our egos sometimes I think. I went into Express and asked for a skirt in a "comfortably smaller size" and the very nice guy says "For you? Honey, that aint gonna fit you, you look about half that size". I think almost subconsciously I'd rather start with a bigger size and get something smaller than try on something smaller and have it not fit lol. Crazy pants.

I'm also not trying to be "skinny" but I would like more muscular definition and visible abs.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Being over weight has caused incredible damage to all our self esteems. I think you see the thinner you in the mirror when you decide to. it's all in the mind