deadlifts and squats- rules at the gym

The book makes it sound so easy. I'm borderline obsessed with watching videos etc.. to make sure i'm doing it right- i want to really up the weight as i go but obvi don't want to injure myself. Seems like different people all have slightly different tweeks on what they think is essential or important.
Where /how did you get info to ensure that you were doing these moves correctly?

I have to back off my weights on the squats because a nice girl at the gym was showing me how I was doing them incorrectly as I was leaning over my knees. I really had to work hard not to burn with shame as I hate to be corrected and I think that all the people in the gym must have been mocking my squats (of course i know that's not true, but whatever). Anyway...have watched a bunch of deadlift videos today and realize that my bar needs to be over the feet and brush my shins. Will give it a try tonight, as well as really drawing my shoulderblades back.

Last question, when you want the squat rack and someone is using it, what are you meant to do? is it ok to stand nearby and look elsewhere? How will people know I'm next in line? I don't want to be rude.

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Elitefts.net can teach you to dead and squat.

As for rack, simply ask how many sets they have left, or to work in. When asking to work in, however, I can't stand when there is a big difference in the weight being used. If someone is squating 4 plates, and you are doing a 25 a side, wait.

If it is time to do deadlifts, there are normally other bars in the gym. Just take one from somewhere else and find an open spot on the floor. Try not to block a natural path.