How do you cook sweet potatoes?

Options
krhn
krhn Posts: 781 Member
Made some today, i cut them up into 4 from 100g and shoved them in the microwave for 4 min. ... the outer layer of the potato was sort of dry and chewy... any suggestions to counter this.

I know boiling is a good way to cook it but I like things cooked with speed!

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Just puncture and cook whole, take out just as they are almost soft enough and wrap in foil for a few minutes to finish cooking. Usually works fine. Cutting up is probably the problem.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    You're better off steaming it in the microwave, probably be dry otherwise. Either buy one of those microwave steamer containers, or put some water in the bowl next time (the first will work better).
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Sorry, I don't have a microwave. I tend to bake or boil and mash my sweet taters.

I seem to remember that we used to microwave potatoes until they were *almost* done, then pop them in a hot oven for 10 minutes, and it was really hard to tell that they'd been nuked at all. Maybe try that or coating the potato in oil.
  • gillporteous
    Options
    I usually zap them in the micro for 10 and then finish off in the oven!!

Or cut up into chunks sprinkle some chilli flakes on and spray '10 cal oil' on them and bake in oven! Xx
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I peel, slice into thick slices and place on baking pan
    sprayed with cooking spray.
    Divide 1 tsp diet margarine dotting each one.
    Sprinkle with cinnamon and divide 1 tsp
    brown sugar between them.
    Bake 375 covered for 45 minutes.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Alright cheers! :happy:
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I roast them in the oven. I cut into "fries" or just into rounds and toss on a foil lined baking sheet with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. About 15-20 mins, flip over. 10 mins and done. I've also tossed in a bit of fresh sage and rosemary too, but no need to get too fancy. Salt and pepper is enough.
  • fabry12
    fabry12 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I wrap wit wet scottex and cook in microwave fo 4/5 mins. It usually make the outside layer less dry.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Bake them, peel them, then mix with coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg. Bake them again. BAM! Eat cold or heat with butter.
  • Cazzamum
    Cazzamum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My hubby made a roast dinner last week, so I asked him to use my sweet potatoes and cut them into big chunks. Then e was to drizzle a very small amount of Olive oil over and roast, but for only about 20-25 mins, he then placed on kitchen roll then and they must have been the nicest roasties ever! :) I cannot wait for next Roast dinner and will maybe roast some other vegetables, see what they are like too.
  • GnomeLover1984
    Options
    You can make them just like a regular baked potato in the microwave. But what I do is cut them up into bite-size squares, toss them in olive oil and herbs, and then bake them.

They are good with curry-mayo.
  • bada_bing
    bada_bing Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I roast them in the oven. I cut into "fries" or just into rounds and toss on a foil lined baking sheet with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. About 15-20 mins, flip over. 10 mins and done. I've also tossed in a bit of fresh sage and rosemary too, but no need to get too fancy. Salt and pepper is enough.

THIS IS THE BEST, everyone who has tasted them like this loves them!
  • Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My favorite way, even though it sounds a little tedious

Cut them in decent size chunks.
    Boil them til they're soft enough to puncture with a fork, but not mushy
    Drain them, then toss them in a smoking hot skillet with a little bit of olive oil
    Sprinkle with cayenne while you're tossing them

The inside should still be a little firm (But not undercooked) and the outside usually has a nice sear with a kick :) Yummy.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Last night I cubed them, put them in a bowl, coated them with a bit of olive oil, and used a packet of spicy Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix (dry) on them. Placed them on a baking sheet covered with no stick Reynold's wrap at 400 degrees for 25 minutes and they were awesome. My sons loved them as well--and they hate sweet potatoes!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I bake them in the oven at 450 for an hour
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Shredded and cooked like hash browns. Butter, salt, pepper, cook until bottoms are crispy. Awesome.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Puncture and then zap in microwave for 7-10 min depending on size. I had one tonight. my hubby and I split one once a week. It is the only potato I eat. I do not eat the skin.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I bake mine. Wash, spray tin foil with no calorie cooking spray, wrap potato, put in oven at 350 for 2 hours. Take out of foil and eat.
  • bravefrog120
    bravefrog120 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wash, spray skin with cooking spray, and bake. Peel and eat. I also wrap them (individually) in foil and freeze them. I take one out-thaw in frig. Peel and pack as part of my lunch. You may wish to add a little butter, cinnamon, & brown sugar (Just a little). Ummm.. So good!
  • pippacont
    pippacont Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wash,
    heat in slow cooker for 4 hours,
    enjoy!