Abs are made in the kitchen

Options
I'm not trolling or trying to start a huge debate....

So I have heard the title expounded many times. My question is: When it comes to bodu composition does it matter what you eat specifically or is a calorie really a calorie?

This is not the same question asked a million times over and that has been beaten to death. (That question is ultimately regarding weight loss.) This is the next step... like when you aren't stepping on a scale anymore and the mirror tells you how you are doing.

I am asking if anyone knows specifically regarding women's body comp if different types of food affect esthetics?

////Also, I have googled this and I get everything from articles saying that I need an "ab-blaster" (no I don't) to people expounding the super-clean mantra.///

And if this has been discussed in another thread and I missed it... please link (and sorry for dups) :drinker:

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I didn't read your post but just wanted to say congrats on the 4,875 lb weight loss.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    I didn't read your post but just wanted to say congrats on the 4,875 lb weight loss.

• danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your own physical makeup, genetics, etc. Some people *need* to eat very clean to reach their goals, some don't. You need to figure out what works for you. Sorry, that's probably no help but it's what I understand to be true from my own research and trial and error.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: Lol, I didn't notice that until now.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    If you are serious even though your "Ticker" says you're not.
    Check this group out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • leighann881
    Options
    If you are serious even though your "Ticker" says you're not.
    Check this group out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

How does my ticker say anything about my "seriousness"? If anything, it simply reinforces that I don't give a hoot about what the scale says. I'm more into getting stronger, faster, fitter :-) and tweaking my body comp :-)

AND... I already joined Eat. Train. Progress. I also read all the "Read Me" links but nothing addressed my specific question regarding body comp. and nutrition.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of losing body fat and to a lesser degree, building those muscles. I cut until I was 15lbs underweight and I didn't have abs. I just had a super weak core so I bulked and worked on that. Now I just have to lose the bulking fat.
  • leighann881
    Options
    It's a matter of losing body fat and to a lesser degree, building those muscles. I cut until I was 15lbs underweight and I didn't have abs. I just had a super weak core so I bulked and worked on that. Now I just have to lose the bulking fat.

So you are eating at a surplus to gain the muscle and then a deficit(?) to cut?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Two Factors: BodyFat level, and Ab Thickness.

I'm at a relatively low bodyfat, but my abs are very shallow due to neglecting them with direct hypertrophy work for a long while. On the opposite side, i had a training partner who was a much higher bodyfat than i was, but can still walk around with visible abs due to a very thick stomach muscles.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

So you are eating at a surplus to gain the muscle and then a deficit(?) to cut?

I ate at a surplus for a while, now I'm just focusing on losing fat. I do IF so I've still been making small gains while losing fat though.