Consistently Waaay Over in the "protein" category

Options
2»

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I can't get my protein up without going over in the fat category.
  • sgperformer
    Options
    Just one thing to note about protein. Drink a lot of water. You CAN get too much. Protein is cleared by the kidneys and too much can cause kidney problems. I agree with 1 gm per day per pound lean body mass as an upper limit guide. MFP recommends "at least 8 cups (64 ounces) of water per day". Heed this advice with a stress on "at least". :)

Best regards -
  • KacheriB
    KacheriB Posts: 1
    Options
    well from my understanding of "protein" in your diet.(especially if you are working out) Protein helps you build more muscle tone and lean proteins help keep off the fat from your muscles.
  • katjo0812
    Options
    Cottage cheese, yogurt, fiber one protein bars, protein shakes but watch sugars
  • sgperformer
    Options
    "Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein" is a high protein very low fat shake that mixes well in water using a spoon. The Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor tastes quite good. It is $16 per container for a month and can be found at Walmart in the pharmacy section. One scoop contains 26 grams of protein and 2 gms of fat. Increase your water consumption when using it. 8 cups of water a day is important. I love the stuff.

Best regards -
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It's under "Goals" instead of "Settings." Click on goals, and then "Custom."

Thank you! :) I had already found it...I kept missing the "Goals" option. Was making me a little crazy. Thanks again!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I can't get my protein up without going over in the fat category.

The fat category is also set way too low. MFP has everyone on carb overload (if they are following the settings without customizing them). Good sources of fat will help you to absorb the vitamins & nutrients that you are eating.
  • isefluffy44
    isefluffy44 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem. Thanks for the answers folks.
  • tonyoconnor129
    tonyoconnor129 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    well from my understanding of "protein" in your diet.(especially if you are working out) Protein helps you build more muscle tone and lean proteins help keep off the fat from your muscles.

And you don't get much more lean that plant based protein.

Just sayin :smile:

No agenda here. Just that protein is protein, be it animal or vegetable.
    No reason to kill an animal to get "enough"protein. And a vegetarian lifestyle may be better for your health than a
    meat based one.
  • peggymoney
    peggymoney Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wish I had this problem. I am constantly trying to get my protein levels up and yes, it's true that you need to up the protein levels for macro to around 30%