I need Iron!!

Options
My doc has mentioned to me recently that I have a Iron deficiency in my diet but failed to mention any foods I like that contains IRON!!! HELP!! give me something!!

Replies

• sghcab051411
    sghcab051411 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Take an Iron pill. That will really help :)
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    Google
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I am also anemic (iron deficient) It is hard to get the iron in. I recommend a supplement but green leafy veggies help (spinach, kale) and of course red meat)
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    look 4 breakfast cereals with high iron
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    raisins, shredded wheat, red meat, and spinach
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Take a supplement if you are seriously iron defficient. Make sure its a good one. I take Ferro-Gradumet twice a day (I'm Australian but I'm sure you could find something similar). I was diagnosed as severely iron defficient about 3 months ago. Have been taking this supplement twice a day with vitimin c and am slowly starting to feel much better
  • Ninnylicious
    Options
    I am also anemic (iron deficient) It is hard to get the iron in. I recommend a supplement but green leafy veggies help (spinach, kale) and of course red meat)

Thanks hun!!
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    baby spinach in your banana (or whatever flavor) protein smoothy. You'll never taste it and can load it up for low low cals. :)
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Kangaroo! & Spinach are the main two that come to mind.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Floradix Herbal Iron Supplement works really well. A tad expensive but it'll boost your levels up.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    my nutritionist told me to be sure to have some vitamin C (citrus works well) with any plant based iron (dark leafy greens, edamame, to name a few) so your body can digest more of it more readily.
  • katebowen37
    katebowen37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My doctor and the people who work the blood drives tell me I'm anemic, but don't tell me how much iron I should consume a day. I eat cereal with high iron, spinach, romaine and red meat all a few times a week. What more can I do? (Tried supplements once, didn't help at all)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Since you are on my Friend List I will help you.
    Here sit here. Now see that "G" push it, now the "O""O""G""L""E"
    I am a helper.
    Oh and an iron pill will help.,Spinach is great as well.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My dr told me I had low Ferritin levels.

I was directed to take 325mg of Ferrous Sulfate once per day for 6 to 12 months.
  • danekin
    danekin Posts: 21
    Options
    DARK CHOCOLATE!!! Lindt 85% Cocoa Dark Chocolate (I believe 50g a day) will give you your daily requirement for Iron. If you are already difficient I would also take an Iron supplement. There are a number of supplements that will boost you back up quickly over a week then you can change your diet. Personally I have found it difficult to eat dark chocolate consistently, so I take a daily Swisse Iron Tablet.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    iron pill, spinach, liver(i know its an organ meat, so only eat that like once or twice a month)...i love liver and onions!
  • WillieMN
    WillieMN Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Or try adding Tablespoon of molasses to hot cereal. Simple yet effective.

I even have a T of molasses straight after a hard workout. Who needs GU or a Powerbar Gel?
  • Ninnylicious
    Options
    DARK CHOCOLATE!!! Lindt 85% Cocoa Dark Chocolate (I believe 50g a day) will give you your daily requirement for Iron. If you are already difficient I would also take an Iron supplement. There are a number of supplements that will boost you back up quickly over a week then you can change your diet. Personally I have found it difficult to eat dark chocolate consistently, so I take a daily Swisse Iron Tablet.

Dark Chocolate?? Finally something I can add to my diet that I enjoy eating !!
  • Ninnylicious
    Options
    Or try adding Tablespoon of molasses to hot cereal. Simple yet effective.

I even have a T of molasses straight after a hard workout. Who needs GU or a Powerbar Gel?

Nice.. I am def going to have a look into that.. thanks!!
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Cream of Wheat has 50% of your DV in 1 serving.