so many calories left for my day...

So i have 468 calories left and still am going to an hour of Zumba..which leaves me with about 900 calories. how in the world do i not over eat?? my dinner will be chicken and brown rice with spinach. thats only about 350-400 calories.

Replies

• OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    When it comes to eating healthy its alright to go a little over your calories, how many calories are you allowed? have you figured out your Body fat? Bmr? Tdee? If not i would suggest doing these as what MFP is recommending is WAY low to what you should be eating! I just switched mine to eat more calories and drink cucumber and lemon water and I lost 5.4lbs!! mind you it was the 5 I gained back :( but still a loss!! I would suggest checking this out and doing it! its what I did and its helped me http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
  • Idk whqt the tdee is? When i signed up it asked me my current weight, what i want to weigh and how much weight i want to lose..i chose 2 a week. so i shouldnt add in calories after working out? this thing confuses me lol
  • Im allowed 1540 a day. Spark People allowed me 1610 a day with no add ons for excercise tho
  • OMGeeeHorses
    TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure :) pretty much that site I said to look at will give you your bodyfat and then you will take that and add it to the Calories and Basal Metabolic Rate I follow this... It was made by Three people on MFP ( helloIamDan, PU and Heybales)...you will choose what category you are and then go from there to what they say. MFP is allowing you to eat your calories back as its knocking you WAY lower than your BMR they had me at 1,000 deficit and IPOARM has me at 771 deficit which is 1.5lbs a week, but with my body its burning it quicker which isn't bad either. SO I mean take a look and decide if you want to do it :)

This is summary and outline of IPOARM(In Place Of A Road Map Version 3)

1. Calories
    Calories are a unit of measurement. How an inches measure distance, pounds measure weight, calories measure energy.

2. Weight loss
    Your body uses calories every second of the day; this is energy you’re burning. If you eat eat the amount of calories your body burns you will maintain your weight. If you eat less than your body burns there is not enough energy to support your weight so your body has to shrink (lose weight). If you eat more than what you’re burning your body will store it. You will weigh more.
    To lose weight you must burn more than you consume.(Take note how it says nothing about food choices, it’s about calories).

3. TDEE(Total Daily Energy Expenditure)
    This is how many calories you burn per day. If you eat at your TDEE you will maintain weight, you won’t gain or lose.

4. BMR(Basal Metabolic Rate)
    This is your BASE metabolic rate, this means this is the bare minimum of your metabolic rate. This is what you would burn if you where in a coma.

5. Body Fat %
    This is just the percentage of fat on your body. If you weigh 200lbs and have 100lbs of fat, you have 50% body fat. Pretty simple.

6. Eat at a moderate deficit.
    1. Moderate Deficit(fat loss)
    2. Large Deficit(stall out/muscle mass loss)
    3. Starvation (Mostly muscle mass loss, some fat) This is usually defined of a diet around 800 calories a day.

7. Setting everything up.
    1. Determine Body fat %.
    Know your body fat %, you need a tape measurement for this. If you don’t have a tape measure, skips this part(go to step 2). It’s recommended to know it because your calculations would be more accurate. Go to: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/ obviously enter your data.

2. Calculate your BMR
    Go to: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ then enter your data, where it says “Enter Goal Weight” enter your current weight. On the next page it will show 2 BMR calculations.

If you entered your body fat, use the “Katch-McArdle Forumla” as your BMR. If you didn’t enter your body fat use the use the “Harris-Benedict Formula” as your BMR. If you’re using the “Harris-Benedict Formula” Your TDEE will be displayed under “daily calories” skip to step 4(calculate a deficit) if you’re using the “katch-McArdle Formula” continue to step 3.

3. Calculate your TDEE(if you’re using Katch-McArdle Formula)
    Multiply your BMR by one of the numbers below based on your activity level.

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extr. Active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

4. Calculate a deficit
    Remember if you don’t eat enough you will stall out and risk losing muscle mass. Most people recommend eating at minimum your BMR and lower than TDEE.
    If you know your bodyfat go by this chart.

Men Categories
    Category 1: less than 15% body fat.

Category 2: 16-25% body fat 

Category 3: 26 > body fat 

Women Categories

Category 1: Less than 24% body fat. 

Category 2: 25-35% body fat 

Category 3: 35% > body fat.

If you don’t know your body fat go by this chart
    Category 1: Less than 15lbs to lose.
    Category 2: 15 -30 lbs to lose.
    Category 3: 30+ lbs to lose.

Below is the formula to calculate your deficit.
    Category 1 = multiply TDEE by .90
    Category 2 = multiply TDEE by .85
    Category 3 = multiply TDEE by .80

8. Macro nutrient intake

Priorities:
    • Hit your calorie goal
    • Hit your protein goal
    • Hit your fat goal
    • Hit your carb goal

9. Macro nutrient intake
    I’ll just make it simple, use the excel sheet, it will calculate things out for you. Just enter your TDEE, weight, and body fat% Up on the left hand corner it will say “file” click on that, then click on “download.” Under fill there will be a little arrow pointing down, click on that, that will download the file as well.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2MlEgY5q9lgTk1abHJsMElONlE/edit?usp=sharing

10. Extras
    Heybales Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

IPOARM GROUP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
    IPOARM Forum topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
    033001 Posts: 5
    I hear you. I don't know all of the tdee stuff either. I have just started using this my fitness pal site and I am not one who believes in dieting. I try and follow the rules of if I am hungry I eat but I make sure I don't go over my calories for the day. It seams to be working just fine. I am not going to stress till I hit a Plato but I want to make sure If I change the way of my lifestyle is that I will be able to do it all the time and not just because I need to lose weight. If you are not content in doing a change in your eating patterns and do it every day you will just put the weight back on and that defeats the whole perpous.
  • kwilliam2
    kwilliam2 Posts: 35
    When it comes to eating healthy its alright to go a little over your calories, how many calories are you allowed? have you figured out your Body fat? Bmr? Tdee? If not i would suggest doing these as what MFP is recommending is WAY low to what you should be eating! I just switched mine to eat more calories and drink cucumber and lemon water and I lost 5.4lbs!! mind you it was the 5 I gained back :( but still a loss!! I would suggest checking this out and doing it! its what I did and its helped me http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

This is wrong. A calorie is a calorie whether it's from a piece of broccoli or a burger from Mcdonald's. (In regards to weight loss/weight gain NOT long term health-I am in no way promoting an unhealthy lifestyle).
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    What about trying for 1 lb a week if you are having trouble with 2 lbs a week.
  • OMGeeeHorses

This is wrong. A calorie is a calorie whether it's from a piece of broccoli or a burger from Mcdonald's. (In regards to weight loss/weight gain NOT long term health-I am in no way promoting an unhealthy lifestyle).

how am I promoting an unhealthy lifestyle, yes a calorie is a calorie but I am talking about fruit and veggies, when it comes to that its not even that bad, I am not in anyway saying go eat a big mac with fries and a soda and not count it, that would be WRONG I am say what a nutritionist has informed me of and this is what they have told me. So I will be using the whole list of FREE FOOD they have provided me, which is all veggies and some fruit that If I want to I can eat all day long, so a trained doctor of sorts is wrong? okay :)

Also I am doing this because I have plateaued for 3 weeks, I changed to this and well it speaks for itself to loose weight on it, take it or leave it :) just my opinion
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Do they not teach basic reading comprehension wherever you people are from?

Just eat some cake. Or eat less for this one day. It really doesn't matter.
  • Xiaolongbao
    I have a whole list of FREE FOOD which is all veggies and some fruit that If I want to I can eat all day long, so a trained doctor of sorts is wrong? okay :)

Yep. If they've told you that then they're wrong.

Of course that's probably not exactly what they told you...
  • OMGeeeHorses
    your opinion, but I don't pay for doctors not to listen to them ;).
  • Xiaolongbao
    your opinion, but I don't pay for doctors not to listen to them ;).

No. It's a FACT. The fact is that vegetables and fruits (especially fruits) have calories. Calories count. It doesn't matter where you get them from. Shame really, I'd be thin as a rake if my fruits and veg were calorie free.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    its your fact you go off of, its not what I am being told, I have lost 25lbs doing what I have done..so can't be too bad :)
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member

Just eat some cake. Or eat less for this one day. It really doesn't matter.

This^^^
  • Xiaolongbao
    its your fact you go off of, its not what I am being told, I have lost 25lbs doing what I have done..so can't be too bad :)

No, it's not "my fact". I don't think you understand what the word fact means.

I'm not disputing that a diet high in fruits and veg is a good thing. I'm glad what you are doing works for you. BUT it doesn't change the fact that fruit and veg has calories and telling people they don't is irresponsible.

It also doesn't change the fact that the original post was from someone who had too many spare calories so I return to my advice to eat cake.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    Could be good to eat the cake. but then if you have an issue with junk food could make you binge eat.

never said they didn't have calories, I said I eat them as my free food because the free food ones I am allowed to eat are no higher than 30 calories. but whatever, I thank you for telling me what I did wrong and sorry I didn't word it better.
  • charliemarie923
    Could be good to eat the cake. but then if you have an issue with junk food could make you binge eat.

never said they didn't have calories, I said I eat them as my free food because the free food ones I am allowed to eat are no higher than 30 calories. but whatever, I thank you for telling me what I did wrong and sorry I didn't word it better.

Sorry to be dull...but what is the definition of a 'free food' how can something be a free food if it has cals and sugar? I know fruits and veggies are free on the Weight watchers plan...but MFP goals on calories ....
    Are you trying to combine two different diets-one from your doc and the MFP one or are you overriding the MFP cal intake goals?
    Or am i totally not getting it...confused.com
  • OMGeeeHorses
    What I am doing is over riding what MFP is trying to have me do for calories and fat and protein and carbs and doing what my Nutritionist is saying is a healthier way to loose weight for me. Like I am a heavier girl as you can tell from my tracker. When I did the way MFP wanted me to do I was loosing 10lbs a week, even tho I had it set for 2lbs a week (1600 cal). My nutritionist said this was horrible for my body and has me on like the diabetic diet, but only following their booked information they have. Like I can still eat junk food if I want too but when it comes to the FREE FOODS its like cucumbers, okra, lemons, watermelon and pretty much any fruits and veggies you can think of. Minus like the HIGH sugar ones like cantaloupe and honeydew melon and so on.

Thats why I was stating, that if your going over but have a ton of fruit or veggies in a day not to worry as they will flush from your system better than a chicken would as it has fat and so on.. I guess I didn't just explain it as an opinion which made people say what they did. *shrugs* just trying to help but I guess next time I will keep it to myself.
  • Kierda
    Kierda Posts: 14 Member
    If you find yourself not being able to eat enough during the day, start with a bigger than normal breakfast, as soon after waking as possible.
  • charliemarie923
    I must be really really thick because i still dont know what a free food is...