Awkward TMI fart question

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Beano gets rid of the stink but you'll still 'fluff'.
  • My 9th grade biology teacher described it this way: as the air passes through your intestines, it picks up molecules of the (ahem) poo that it passes. When the air is expelled, those tiny poo particles are released into the air, and that's what you smell. So your gas smells like poo -- which is stinky no matter what you eat.
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Eggs can also cause a stink :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Given up finding what is causing such issues for myself. Mine always stink now, and sometimes to a degree it makes me feel ill and gives me a headache as it is so potent. I tried probiotics, and they actually made it even worse. Broccoli is the only offender I can isolate on some days. Rest of the time, it could be anything from a higher than usual intake of protein to an extra dose of cottage cheese or yoghurt. It gets really tedious though.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member

What causes smelly gas farts? I

UHHHH...I think being alive causes it. Instead of feeling guilt, next time, look to someone in the room right before you fart, and say DUDE...CHECK THIS OUT...then lift up a leg and blast off.

*Snickers* Nice one.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    I don't fart...... I fluff! Then butterflies gather it up and carry it away. Sometimes it just stinks. :sick:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    :glasses: Gas-X and Beano don't do much except kill the smell a little. I've decided to be Proud of My Emissions. The Healthier I eat - especially Veggies!! - the more Emissions. My Husband is like -- "Can't you go outside to do that?"
  • Broccoli, beans, brussel sprouts, aspara---GAS need I say more...:laugh:

He who smelt it dealt it
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Food breaking down causes the gas, and just because you eat healthy doesn't mean you can't have bad smelling gas. In fact, usually the more fruits, vegetables and protein you eat the worse it is.

Protein farts are terrible!!!
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    I've noticed that the more raw veggies I eat, the smellier the gas.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    :glasses: Gas-X and Beano don't do much except kill the smell a little. I've decided to be Proud of My Emissions. The Healthier I eat - especially Veggies!! - the more Emissions. My Husband is like -- "Can't you go outside to do that?"

Why go outside when you could have a farting contest?
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    I find that the healthier I eat, the worse I emit.....

Same here... I've had some really awkward moments at the gym.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    If it has "Fiber one" on the label, I avoid it. I know I'll be crackin' 'em off like 4th of July fireworks.
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    If you are the least bit lactose intolerant that can cause some terrible smelling gas.. Lactose intolerance is somewhat gradual.. And when your body CAN'T break something down that is when it gets REALLY stinky.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Beans, beans, the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel, so eat your beans every meal!

Beans are good for you right? And you know, that whole stigma about beans = smelly farts. I don't think bad food = ucky farts. Cheese, most likely because of lactose intolerance, smells like roses out that end...or not :blushing:
  • gracjm
    gracjm Posts: 6 Member
    LOL, I'm still chuckling over this thread. My brother likes to hold farts until just before he gets off an elevator. Says he gets a kick out of hearing people gag as the doors close.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    A lot of healthy foods make you fart more, from fiber and such, but your protein is what makes it stink. Eggs are the worst!
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    This thread is hilarious.

The biology (as much as I know of it) of farts is this: there are bacteria in your gut that help break down food. These bacteria emit methane and other gasses as a waste product. Methane stinks horribly (and is also flammable!) Everyone has their own special mix of bacteria, so the kinds of foods that those bacteria like, and the amount of gas that they emit are different for everyone. Some foods, like broccoli, seem to be pretty bad offenders for most of the population, however. In fact, vegetables and fruits in general are harder to break down by bacteria, and thus produce more farts than meats.

And that is why vegans have the worst farts of all.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    When I was going for 130-155g of protein/day omg watch out. It was devastating. My body definitely did not enjoy that much of the good protein! Since I have cut down the "situation" is MUCH better....and no one has to run for cover!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member

Gas-X and Beano aren't the same things.

Gax-X and other things like it help eliminate it after it's already a problem. I tend to get actual gas cramps. Very very painful. Gas-X helps me pass it more easily and eliminates the bloat and pressure.

Beano helps prevent the gas from forming in the first place, lets you digest more easily without developing a problem.

Either way, avoiding intestinal pain is a good thing.