Snack Ideas

Options
bjenegiles
bjenegiles Posts: 75 Member
Good Morning ALL

SO, I am looking for some healthly snacks that are FILLING!! I have tried the 100 cal. chips and cookies...they make me angry! You don't get very much for those 100 calories. By the end of the bag, I am STILL STARVING soooo..needless to say...I don't even buy them anymore. I stick w/ fruit; however, the fruit thing is getting old. Does anyone have any ideas? Do you pair the 100 cal snacks w/ anything to make it a fuller snack option? Anything?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with 100 calorie packs. They don't fill you up because they are ARTIFICIAL. They're the normal snack, just smaller portions...which means you're getting all the crap. Eat fruits & veggies, string cheese, nuts. My snacks today are: #1 - 1 serving of pretzel sticks with diet green tea, #2 - off-brand fiber one bar, #3 - cucumber and ranch.
  • kimberlymejia
    Options
    I find Kashi granola bars (100-120 calories) are filling and taste so good. They have some that totally kill my cravings for hitting the chocolate/candy drawer at work. Another thing I will do is buy different dried fruits, nuts, dark chocolate chips and make my own trail mixes. That way you can put in what you like and it's more cost effective than some of the prepackaged mixes. You can get healthy tortilla chips and have some fresh salsa too! Or 16 Original Sunchips is a serving.

I have never been a big fan of the 100 calorie packs for the same reason that they do nothing but make me hungrier! Lol. And also, they may be low in calories but some of them aren't necessarily healthy for you.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Lately, I have been having a protein shake every afternoon. I like GNC's Pro Performance Whey Protein powder. 1 scoop in 8oz of water or sometimes with fat-free milk.

The key for me is to make sure I have protein with every snack. If I have crackers then I have cheese with it (the laughing cow wedges are great). Apple with cheese or banana with peanut butter.
    2201953 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter really helps me, but I really have to be careful not to eat too much! I like to take a tablespoon of it and eat it like a lollipop. - or pair it up with celery or an apple.
  • skinnyjess00
    skinnyjess00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    find a hearty, high protein, high fiber bread. toast it and put laughing cow cheese on it. very satisfying!
  • dlmors1
    dlmors1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Lisa, you said the key is to make sure you have a protein with every snack. Why have you found this to be helpful?
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Try to think outside of the box of what you would usually think of as 'snacks' e.g. chips and cookies. Listen to your body and try to incorporate any of the foods you eat that make you feel more full as snacks. Here are some ideas:

Fruits

* Fresh or tinned fruit (e.g. 1 peach, 3 apricots, 1 pear, 2 mandarins, grapes, half a mango, 3 plums).
    * Frozen fruit (e.g. 1 banana, 1 orange, 1 circle of pineapple).
    * 1 serve of dried fruit.

Salads & Vegetables

* Vegetable sticks (e.g. celery, carrot, capsicum, snow peas) with 1 tbsp low fat dip.
    * Celery boats filled with 2 tbsp of cottage cheese and tomato.

Nuts

* 30 grams of mixed or unsalted nuts.

Breads

* 1 slice of raisin toast or multigrain bread

Dairy Products

* 1 tub of low-fat yoghurt.
    * 1 cup of low-fat custard.

Cereal

* 1/2 cup of high fibre breakfast cereal.

Drinks

* 1 cup or 250 mls of any low fat flavoured milk or soy milk or fruit smoothie.
    * 1 café latte.

Cakes

* 1 small pikelet or wholemeal crumpet with 1 tsp of jam.
    * 1 small fruit or plain scone with 1 tsp of jam.

Savoury Treats

* 30 grams of salt reduced pretzels
    * Rice cakes or wheat biscuits topped with cottage cheese, tomato and chives.
    * 1 cup of plain popcorn

Savoury Bread

* 1/2 English muffin with tomato slices and 1 slice of reduced-fat cheese.
    * 2 toasted pita bread triangles with 1 tbsp low fat tomato salsa dip.
    * 1 small low fat savoury muffin e.g. reduced fat cheese and tomato.

Others

* 2 small sushi rolls (avoid using soy sauce).
    * 1 small can of baked beans.
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Options
    The best snack or meal combinations are those that have proportionally close ratios of proteins and carbs. This is the best combo to fill you up.

Examples:
    > apple and greek yogurt
    > celery and 2TB natural nut butter
    > boiled egg and some raw carrots
    > whole wheat crackers or rice cake and 1oz cheese
    > cucumber/carrots with 2TB hummus
    > cottage cheese with some berries mixed in

These will definitely make you satisfied, happy and will surely help you lose weight! You'll never even want go back for those bags of chips, pretzels, and other empty foods. :-)))
  • Taliko
    Taliko Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just had this, and it was very good!

1/2 cup fat free vanilla yogurt and
    1/2 frozen blueberries mixed together with
    1 crushed graham cracker and cinnamon sprinkled on top.

Very good treat for only 115 calories... tastes like blueberry cheesecake.
    Which is a good thing, because there is a real full fat Oreo cheesecake sitting in my fridge asking to be eaten and i'm ignoring it...
  • mythicals
    mythicals Posts: 70
    Options
    String cheese, graham crackers, fruits and Greek yogurt.