Cinco de Mayo

Options
alwaysenl
alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any good and healthy recipes for Cinco de Mayo? I know turkey tacos & we love them in my house...but anyhting more creative? Thanks!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I live in New Mexico so it is hard to avoid Cinco de Mayo. Some things I love:

Pita Chips and salsa and guacamole
    You can make a low cal chicken fajita with mixing your own spices and using yogurt instead of sour cream

This week is all full of celebration. Yesterday was Star Wars day (May the 4 be with you) and today is Cinco de Mayo.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    My family loves this and it is what we are having tonight. I think it got it from eatbetteramerica.com--they have lots of good recipes there!

Spicy Mexican Skillet Chicken

Prep Time:25 min
    Start to Finish:25 min
    makes:4 servings

1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)
    1 teaspoon canola or soybean oil
    1 can (15 oz) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
    1 cup Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ Niblets® frozen corn
    1/3 cup Muir Glen® organic salsa (any variety)
    Chopped fresh cilantro, if desired

1. Mix chili powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of chicken.
    2. Spray 10-inch skillet with cooking spray. Add oil; heat over medium heat. Cook chicken in oil 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until juice is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F).
    3. Stir in beans, corn and salsa. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are hot. Sprinkle with cilantro.
    Nutritional Information
    1 Serving: Calories 350 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 1 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 85mg; Sodium 360mg; Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 11g, Sugars 2g); Protein 40g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 8%; Iron 20% Exchanges: 1 1/2Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 5 Very Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have been making this for years and it's always a crowd pleaser. I double it and take it into work for carry ins and alway take home an empty crockpot! Enjoy!

VEGETABLE FIESTA SKILLET SUPPER

1 CUP CHOPPED CARROTS
    ½ CUP CHOPPED ONIONS
    1 SMALL ZUCCHINI, HALVED LENGTHWISE AD SLAICED INTO ¼ IN SLICES
    1 SMALL YELLOW SUMMER SQUASH, HAVED LENGHTWISE AND SLICED INTO ¼ IN SLICES
    1 15 OZ CAN LIGHT KIDNEY BEANS, DRAINED AND RINSED
    1 11OZ CAN MEXICAN CORN
    1 8 OZ CAN TOMATO SAUCE
    ½ CUP CHUNKY PICANTE SAUCE, MEDIUM HOT
    ¼ CUP WATER
    ½ OF A PACKET OF TACO SEASONING MIX
    4 OZS 2% SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE

SPRAY LARGE NON STICK SKILLET WITH COOKING SPRAY AND HEAT OVER MEDIUM HIGH HEAT UNTIL HOT. ADD CARROTS AND ONIONS AND COOK STIRRING OCCATIONALY FOR 8-10 MINS OR UNTIL CRISP-TENDER. ADD A LITTLE WATER IF IT STARTS TO STICK. ADD REMAINING INGREDENCES EXCEPT CHEESE, BRING TO A BOIL. REDUCE HEAT TO MEDIUM LOW AND SIMMER 7-10 MINS, STIR OCCATIONALY. SPRINKLE EACH SERVING WITH A LITTLE CHEESE.

MAKES 6 ONE CUP SERVINGS

CALORIES 178
    FAT 4 GRAMS
    CARBS 31 GRAMS
    FIBER 6 GRAMS
    PROTEIN 11 GRAMS
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    We are going to have plain old tacos at our house but just a heads up, Mission White Corn taco shells are 3 shells for 150 calories, most others you only get 2.
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    Grilled Shrimp Cocktail with Yellow Gazpacho Salsa
    4 medium yellow tomatoes (1 pound), seeded and finely chopped
    1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
    1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
    1 stalk celery, finely chopped
    1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
    2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Several dashes hot sauce, to taste
    1 pound raw shrimp (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
    Directions
    Mix tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, celery, onion, chives, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, salt and hot sauce in a large bowl. Cover and chill for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 day.

Mix shrimp, garlic and thyme in a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Coat a grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat or preheat the grill to medium-high and oil the grill rack (see Tip). Cook the shrimp until pink and firm, about 2 minutes per side. Serve the shrimp with the salsa in martini glasses or bowls.

To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! They all sound so yummy and will definitely be trying some out...but my hubby wanted black bean & chicken que\sadillas tonight. They came out really good!

We used canned black beans, fat free shredded cheddar cheese, skinless chicken breast cut up, some salsa and whole wheat low-carb tortillas!