How do you sear beef without burning down the house?

Options
iggyboo93
iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
I follow the instructions from the google searches. Somehow I always manage to set off the smoke alarms and inundate the house with smoke.

Any tips?

Replies

• upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    More powerful fan?

Are you using any kind of oil or broth to avoid burning it? (Are you burning it?)
  • iggyboo93
    Options
    LOL! I use just a little bit of oil and watch it like a hawk with tongs. I turn the meat frequently. Wondering if it's the pan or highly sensitive smoke alarms. :)
  • meFreshwater
    meFreshwater Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're supposed to turn it frequently. Medium-high heat, let it sit without touching it until it's seared (okay, lift it and peek under until you get the hang of it) and you should only have to turn it once. Searing requires the heat to stay on the meat until the color change is done. Frequent turning will cook it through eventually, possibly without ever getting the nice color you want.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Go outside.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Is it the meat that's burning , or the oil? If it's the oil, use a nonstick pan or buy an oil that has a higher smoke point like grapeseed, safflower or sunflower. Olive and sesame oils smoke like crazy at high temps.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Is it the meat that's burning , or the oil? If it's the oil, use a nonstick pan or buy an oil that has a higher smoke point like grapeseed, safflower or sunflower. Olive and sesame oils smoke like crazy at high temps.

What oil are you using?
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    different oil, thicker/better pan, lower heat and don't touch it
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Hard to get a good sear with a nonstick pan. What I do is use a non coated pan...let it get good and hot. (A little oil.yes) sear the steak quickly...only turning it once...and then pop the whole pan in the oven to finish cooking. (450°)..goes pretty quick. Or I grill outside.
  • iggyboo93
    Options

What oil are you using?

Rats - I use vegetable oil normally, olive oil for Italian dishes and sesame for stir frying. Good suggestion with the oil - I've read safflower is good. I'll turn less frequently. The meat does end up sticking sometimes - I use a non-stick pan but it is showing its wear.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I don't use oil at all. A heavy duty stainless steel pan. Medium heat, or just under.
    I just shake the pan to keep it loose. If necessary I add in a couple of table spoons of water.
    It keeps the side being seared from drying out.
    You pretty much can't leave it alone until the searing is done.
    It doesn't take long really. Since you're right there maybe disable the smoke alarm while you're doing this.
    Mine goes off if it even gets hit by steam. Gaaahhhh! : )
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    here's some more tips.

1. use a cast-iron skillet that's been heated alone for 2-3min
    2. use high heat & 1Tbl unsalted butter per steak
    3. pat down steak with paper towel to make it as dry as possible, season both sides salt/pepper
    4. be patient, leave the steak alone until it comes off easy on its own (about 4 minutes)
    5. flip only once, 4 more minutes on the other side
    6. use temp reader for desired wellness (rare,medium,well)
    7. let it rest for 8-10min
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I follow the instructions from the google searches. Somehow I always manage to set off the smoke alarms and inundate the house with smoke.

Any tips?

Yup. Open windows. Use a fan to move the smoke to the windows.

A good HARD sear is dirty business. It also helps to do it expediently. Take an iron pan, heat it to 500F in the oven, pull it out to a stove element on high. Add meat, dry. SEAR WITH NO FEAR.

FLIP.

SEAR WITH NO FEAR.

Hit the edges to render and seal, then reduce heat or throw it in the oven to finish cooking. Personally, I hard sear and then serve it. Unless it's thicker than 2".
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    LOL! I use just a little bit of oil and watch it like a hawk with tongs. I turn the meat frequently. Wondering if it's the pan or highly sensitive smoke alarms. :)

Turning it often will prolong the searing process and retard the maillard reaction.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I use a cast-iron pan that's been in my family for four generations. None of this new-fangled non-stick crap for my steak.

I do NOT use oil for searing - but then again I only use the more-tender (IE: fattier) cuts of steak - ribeye, porterhouse, etc. and they don't need added oil for searing in a well-seasoned cast-iron pan.

That's the way I do it, anyway.
  • cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    crank heat to 1,000,000 degrees, super heat pan.... then drop steak onto infinity hot pan and reduce heat to medium-medium/high... cook for 3-7 mins depending on steak prefrence... then flip and cook for teh same period of time.

be careful doing this with non-stick pans as you can actually melt the teflon off and then you end up eating carcinogenic flakes of crap
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Any tips?

Yup. Open windows. Use a fan to move the smoke to the windows.

A good HARD sear is dirty business. It also helps to do it expediently. Take an iron pan, heat it to 500F in the oven, pull it out to a stove element on high. Add meat, dry. SEAR WITH NO FEAR.

FLIP.

SEAR WITH NO FEAR.

Hit the edges to render and seal, then reduce heat or throw it in the oven to finish cooking. Personally, I hard sear and then serve it. Unless it's thicker than 2".

I have never seen more confident cooking advice. Mirin.
  • margieparkins
    margieparkins Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    BBQ
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Use a oil that can withstand higher temps (vegetable oil is junk anyways). OR invest in a good pan & go dry.

Its VERY important to ONLY flip once as well. The meat will release when it's ready. If you're flipping nonstop, you'll probably never get that nice color aka a good sear and IF you do, the meat will probably be overcooked. If you're flipping and chunks of meat are getting stuck in the pan, you're flipping too soon. If its not fully cooked, reduce heat afterwards or put it in the oven to finish.

High temp & fast is the idea with searing.

Hope this helps a little! Oh & to help break the terrible urge to flip, buy a timer, put meat in the pan, and set it for X amount of time til its ready to flip. Then leave ... go watch TV, wash a few dishes, etc. That's what I had to do to break the habit. I liked to hover over my food and mess with it the whole time Lol.

Hope this helps!
  • GonnaBFit2510
    GonnaBFit2510 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow that's weird I've just watched a cooking section on tv and the were doing seared steak with potato grattan
    He said the problem most people have when searing the meat is the smoke so the best way to get round that is to oil the meat and not the pan!! So you pour your oil onto a plate then place the meat in and turn making sure all parts of the meat are covered in the oil then place the meat in your pan which should be heated to a medium heat pour in any excess oil that is left on the plate then sprinkle on some salt and pepper then turn the heat up slightly, leave for a few mins then turn over.

Hope this helps x

This is the recipe for it http://www.itv.com/lorraine/food/ribeye-steak-with-potato-gratin/
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I use a cast-iron pan that's been in my family for four generations. None of this new-fangled non-stick crap for my steak.

I do NOT use oil for searing - but then again I only use the more-tender (IE: fattier) cuts of steak - ribeye, porterhouse, etc. and they don't need added oil for searing in a well-seasoned cast-iron pan.

That's the way I do it, anyway.

I've been wanting a cast iron pan and now you just sold me on it.