I found this interesting... Actual calorie counts

Options

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Thank you for posting that link.

It's nice for folks to see how calories are MEASURED and will understand that there's little connection between MEASURING calories in a calorimeter vs using a formula or an exercise machine ESTIMATE calories.

The pages of MFP are littered with folks who are "stuck on a plateau", sure that they're "eating no more than XX calories" and they want to know how they can stop their body from "hanging on to calories". Perhaps, with information provided by clips like this, folks will accept that they're not special snowflakes who have discovered perpetual motions and will accept that to lose wright they need to eat less and exercise more.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bump for later... looks interesting.
  • justkiesh
    justkiesh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ZAMN! That "vegan healthy sandwich" was the worst!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I kind of suspected this all along. I think this is why it's so important to listen to your body's needs. Eat when you're hungry - when you feel your stomach growling. And stop when you are satisfied. NOT FULL. But satisfied. Thanks for sharing!

Why can't I eat till I'm full?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

The pages of MFP are littered with folks who are "stuck on a plateau", sure that they're "eating no more than XX calories" and they want to know how they can stop their body from "hanging on to calories". Perhaps, with information provided by clips like this, folks will accept that they're not special snowflakes who have discovered perpetual motions and will accept that to lose wright they need to eat less and exercise more.

It's actually funny because in most cases, people get told to eat more.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump for later cant wait to see what everyone is talking about
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for posting this OP it was verrrrrrrry interesting. (Tofu sandwiches?! Really?) Whew on the subway sandwich, and no starbucks out where I live so no worries.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I always thought chipoltle wasn't accurate. I get the same thing each time and depending on who's holding the spoon i get way more. Very cool video. Thanks for sharing.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I am SO glad i can trust subway, love their food! :D

Me too! I am now suspicious of restaurants :huh:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Great video. But the conclusion... "Why post it at all, if the accuracy isn't enforced?"

Uh, because YOU STILL DON'T NEED TO EAT 2773 CALORIES!

A 20% error is better than a 100% error.
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i always add 200 to my final number at the end of the day because of this.
  • bethFromDayton
    bethFromDayton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Why can't I eat till I'm full?

For many/most overweight people, their internal definition of 'full' is skewed. They eat until they are uncomfortably full and call that 'full'--one key way to manage portions and intake is to redefine 'full' to be 'satisfied'.
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think the most interesting part is that, while some inaccuracy should be expected, the direction of the inaccuracy is what is shocking. You would expect providers to cut out as much as possible to save money not lie and say their product has less than it actually has.
    I would expect most fast food to be similar to the results from Subway. If they publish calorie info, it is probably fairly accurate (despite being HORRIBLE) because of the standardization of portion sizes and preparation.

This is why I stopped deducting for every little thing I do. Like 70 calories for walking up the stairs a few times. Things like that. Save the exercise calorie deductions fro real workouts with significant heart rate variation for an extended period of time. Walking to the curb in front of the house to put the garbage out is NOT a workout, unless you are extremely unhealthy and just getting started, in which case, KEEP DOING IT as it is better than nothing!
  • monizjm
    monizjm Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is great! Thank you for sharing this!!! No really, THANK YOU.
  • aritchey1977
    aritchey1977 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for posting this. It gave me a whole new outlook for the end of the day when I think I have calories left....I probably do not.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Wow I knew muffins were bad but that was shocking! I wonder if that sandwich was supposed to be be labled as "two" servings since the calorie count was about double. It looked nasty anyway :laugh: I am glad subway was close to accurate because it always worried about their bread being worse than they say it is. I do agree that weight loss is all based on estimates. It is a little scary sometimes but it still seems to work for most people who put the effort into it :wink:
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I think the most interesting part is that, while some inaccuracy should be expected, the direction of the inaccuracy is what is shocking. You would expect providers to cut out as much as possible to save money not lie and say their product has less than it actually has.
    I would expect most fast food to be similar to the results from Subway. If they publish calorie info, it is probably fairly accurate (despite being HORRIBLE) because of the standardization of portion sizes and preparation.
    This, when I worked fast food my managers made me cut corners to give the customer as little as possible while still calling it a meal.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Interesting!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Not surprised but annoyed.
    Thanks for sharing, its something to keep in mind.
    Where can i buy a lab to test all my food?
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump for later